January 2013 Moms
Options

Hand Foot and Mouth Question

For those of you that have been so luck to deal with HFM, how long did you keep your LO out of group care and away from other kiddos?

Baby Boy born on 1/14/13

Re: Hand Foot and Mouth Question

• Options
    I was told by my DC and Dr that when they have the fever is when they're contagious, so if there's no fever, they're okay to be at daycare.  We were so unlucky that DS's fever was only about 99.8 (well within the acceptable range for DC), so we wrote it off as teeth (he was acting weird about food too, but that's because he had started to get soars in his mouth), and he went to DC.  It wasn't until the weekend that the spots showed up on his hands and feet that we realized it wasn't teeth, and we had contaminated his entire DC.  I felt horrible!
    Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • Options
    A week.  It was ridiculous, because she had a super mild case.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor advised me to keep DS out of daycare for a week after the spots arrived. From what i read The fluid inside the blisters carries the virus as well and the virus remains in the feces for a few weeks afterwards. I figured keeping him home for the one week was better than possibly sharing it and getting infected again (because that's just our luck)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    bennikki said:

I was told by my DC and Dr that when they have the fever is when they're contagious, so if there's no fever, they're okay to be at daycare.  We were so unlucky that DS's fever was only about 99.8 (well within the acceptable range for DC), so we wrote it off as teeth (he was acting weird about food too, but that's because he had started to get soars in his mouth), and he went to DC.  It wasn't until the weekend that the spots showed up on his hands and feet that we realized it wasn't teeth, and we had contaminated his entire DC.  I felt horrible!

All of this except replace daycare with playroom at church and a party with our friends and their children (3.5yrs, 13mos, and 6weeks). Thankfully we only infected one 2yo from church and his parents are friends of ours and were totally chill about the whole thing.

• Options
    We kept him out while he had a fever and then until he had no more blisters on his hands. They were ok with him coming back if they were on his feet but not on his hands.

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

• Options
    Thank you ladies.  
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • Options
    The doctor always gives us a return date, but it us usually a full 24 hours after fever is gone. If blisters were still visable, we would get a note, just in case....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"