December 2012 Moms
Options

Beach Tips

Hey ladies!  I've been a little MIA lately.  Work is killing me and mobile bump won't let me post.  We are going to the beach this weekend with DD1 & 2.  Any tips or suggestions what to bring?  We are only going for the day, and I am planning on bringing the usual diaper bag things, swimsuits/diapers, some toys for the sand, and beach umbrella.  We have a baby beach tent.  Is it worth it to bring that?  DD2 is 5 months old now and I thought she might nap in it.  TIA for any recommendations or tips!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Beach Tips

• Options

Morgan went to the beach for the first time about a month ago, she LOVED it!!  I however, well I found sand in places that made me cringe :)

Make sure when you leave if they have showers available to really hose DD1 down.  Watch out for drinking the water, Morgan tried and I almost threw up for her.  Gross....oh..water shoes!  There is glass, sharp shells, rocks all over even the cleanest beach.  Invest in a pair of good water shoes.

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

• Options
    When we went on vacation last November the biggest thing for me was making sure there was enough shade. Other than that we had the usual diaper bag things, some beach toys, a hat, lots of sunscreen, food/snacks and stuff to drink. Oh and dry clothes to change into.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd bring the tent. I second the suggestion of a good hat, too. (And of course, you'll be bringing sunblock, towels, etc.) We've actually never needed water shoes, but YMMV. 

A tip that a friend gave me that's worked really well for us: bring baby powder. It works REALLY really well when you're trying to get all of the sand off before you leave. I never used baby powder on LO before going to the beach (worries about him breathing it in, etc) but when we're in the sand, it's a godsend. It sucks up all of the moisture so the sand brushes right off. 

When we're ready to go, I put my naked and as-dried-as-I-can-get-him DS down on a clean surface, usually an unused or minimally used towel, and apply generously to his diaper area, brushing all the sand away before putting a fresh diaper on. I then put baby powder pretty much everywhere from the neck down and brush the rest of the sand off. If there's excess powder, I use the towel to get rid of it. Throw some clothes on, and presto, a LO who's not going to get chafing from the sand and can be popped into his carseat and crib when he gets home without getting sand everywhere! 
  • Options
    Yes, take the tent and I agree about the water shoes. They are definitely needed at our beaches. Also, take some bottled water that you won't need to drink, in case there aren't showers, Then you can use it for all kinds of things -- rinsing off dirty hands, etc. And sunscreen of course. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies.  The baby powder trick is awesome!  We took the tent and I'm glad that we did.  My cousin suggested getting a little hand-held broom and dust pan from the dollar store and keeping it in the car to brush off excess sand before getting it.  It really works!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"