Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Super-painful urination 1 week post-delivery... Help, please?

Hi there, so kiddo is 6 days old as of tomorrow, and while I was in the hospital, I didn't really have any issues when it came to peeing. Spritz bottle, tucks pads, maxi pads, ice pads, Dermaplast, etc. However, since I've made it home, I feel like I've basically developed PTSD when it comes to going to the bathroom! I know I shouldn't, but I think I'm subconsciously drinking less water than I should just so that way I don't have to go as frequently! But at the same time, I wonder if that is part of the problem maybe? That I'm not hydrated enough and that's making the urine that much more painful to bear? I had three 1st degree tears when I delivered my son, top, bottom and then the left labia. So when I go, the stream tends to hit some of them, which has me freaking out and screaming in pain!

I've basically had to take a shower EVERY SINGLE TIME I have to pee. And now, I even have to sit down in there and splash water over the area and try to force myself to urinate, which more often than not has me in tears. I'm worried that I could be developing an UTI? But there's not that frequent urge.

Have any of you other ladies had this issue? I was looking to see if anyone else dealt with something similar, and I couldn't find anything at all on it.
Became Stepmomma to the world's best little boy, Marcus, on November 1, 2009!
BFP On December 7, 2013! Due August 8, 2014!
Reese made his arrival on August 13, 2014 after 42 hours of labor!

BFP on April 2, 2015, estimated due date is December 6, 2015!
Teryn made his arrival on December 6, 2015 after only 15 short hours of labor!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Super-painful urination 1 week post-delivery... Help, please?

• Options
    Hi there! :-h

Yes. I had a very painful time urinating after DS's birth. I had a 2nd degree tear & the burning was insane. I empathize.

Do you have some dermaplast numbing spray? The stuff saved my life!

You can spray it on and it numbs the area so urinating isn't awful. Also, make liberal use of the pain meds they give you.

If you are worried about infection you can mention it to your OB over the phone. They can have you in to give a urine sample.

You do need to drink more. The clearer the urine the easier to flush bacteria etc. Also, it sounds awful, but dissolve some salt in warm (as you can stand it) water. Use your peri bottle to rinse with the solution. That can disinfect the area. Hydrogen peroxide (diluted) can help too. Don't do it too often but before bed can help.

Try to go commando in loose pants or boxers as often as you can if your lochia isn't insane. Honestly, I got some depends to deal with mine. I could just toss that bad boy & change into another clean pair. It was a lot easier than the mesh panties or granny panty.

Good luck & congrats on your sweet baby!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Do you have a peri bottle?  Spraying water over the area before you start to go, and the whole time you're going, can really help with the burning.  I probably did this for the first week, and I only had a very minor tear.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have the peri bottle, and HAD the Dermaplast, I literally just threw away the can since it was empty, and have been looking for it elsewhere, but haven't been able to find it. We had an appointment with the Lactation Consultant today and since she and I had a good rapport, I had mentioned it to her, since I've basically given myself anxiety when it comes to going pee. She offered to check and figure out what was going on down there (since she's done everything as well as Lactation), and apparently some of the stitches have come out, but there's also another wound as well.

She said that the wound is clean, but she wants my OB to check it out, she actually called and made the appointment for me! Which was completely unexpected, but it really shows how much the nurses at the hospital I delivered at care.

• Options
    Is it the blue can though? The OB called it in to my pharmacy, and both my Primary and Secondary insurances just laughed, and my wallet said, "Suck it up, buttercup!" I'm sorry, $70 is a bit steep to be spraying on my lady bits. Not that I wouldn't love the break from the pain, but still.

And everything is starting to heal slowly. No need for screaming or being only in the shower or bath.

• Options
    @Seleyna I haven't had my baby yet but I did stock up on post-partum supplies. I was able to get a can of Dermoplast at Target for like $8. It was in their first aid section. Hope you feel better!

TTC #1 Since October 2012
    DX PCOS May 2013
    Clomid 50-150mg- No Response
    Moved to RE October 2013
    Nov. 2013: IUI #1 Letrozole + Ovidrel = BFN
    Dec. 2013: IUI #2 Letrozole + Ovidrel= BFP on 1/8/2014 !! EDD 9/17/2014
    Beta #1 (12 dpo): HCG 27, Progesterone 15 (starting on supplements)
    Beta #2 (15 dpo): HCG 297, Progesterone 29
    Beta #3 (17 dpo): HCG 667, Progesterone 34
    1st Ultrasound 1/28 (6 weeks + 1) Baby measuring exactly as it should, HB 118!
    2nd Ultrasound 2/5 Baby measuring 7w4d, HB 133. Everything looks perfect!
    3rd Ultrasound 4/29 (A/S) Our Baby BOY is measuring perfectly and everything looked great! HB160
    Diagnosed with Pre-E at 36 weeks, placed on bed rest, induction schedule for 37 weeks. 

BFP #2 on 7/30/15 EDD 4/7/16 MC @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3 on 7/23/16 EDD 3/30/16
  • Options
    I soaked my pads in numbing spray and saline every time i used the bathroom for the first week and after that i was perfectly fine. But drink lots of water, the less the concentration the less burning and spray the area with water while peeing
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • Options
    What @jenn43‌ said. And also, I put a&d ointment on my pantyliner, and changed liners each time I used the bathroom. The A&D may help to heal the wounds.
  • Options
    Dermoplast is over the counter and is like 9 bucks. Any drugstore etc sells it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"