Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Toy phone/tablet

Re: Toy phone/tablet

• flclflcl member
    Like PPs have mentioned, LO is too young for smartphones, tablets, TVs, etc for entertainment.  In fact, the lower the tech, the better it generally is for babies.  I really try to limit my time on the iphone/ipad when I'm with LO because I don't want him grabbing at/wanting those things.  There are toys that look like phones and tablets if you're dead set on getting him something along those lines.  
  • I'm also with PPs. 

I think all babies are drawn to screens whether it be the television, a phone or a tablet because of the bright colors, flashing and pictures, but that doesn't mean we should allow them to sit in front of them. 

I think it's best to avoid these types of things until he's older - it's too much stimulation for him at this age. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Why did OP delete her question? That's so annoying because I want to understand the context of the answers. Stop deleting stuff!

I will admit that baby and I enjoy PBS kids during lulls in activity or while im busy for a short period of time. She is only just getting more into her toys and starting to grab and manipulate them so we will begin to cut down screen time as she can engage in other ways.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • flclflcl member
    OP said that her LO is always grabbing at her iPhone and iPad when she's holding him and was wondering if there were any cell phones or tablets that were geared towards babies that she could get him.  Her baby was 4.5 months old.
  • I'm sorry, I was the orignal poster. I had asked if there was something similar to a phone/tablet that is a toy for my little guy. I deleted it because I got a lot of negative feedback and people made me feel bad about even asking the question!! I actually found something by vtech that is shaped like a tablet but buttons and not a screen for 6 months and up so may purchase that.
  • jmcdyer - I'm sorry I deleted it. It was my first time posting and just wanted a simple answer but the answers made me feel bad so I deleted. I should have just left it!
  • Thank you for your input. As I said in my previous post I'm looking at one that is shaped like a tablet but has buttons and NOT a screen.
  • @starbuck27 when does any screen time matter? Just curious because now I feel like my baby is just looking at the moving objects and whatever colors she can (3 months old). In school now, computers are mandatory and they may have smart boards or use tablets in class...I think our children today may have a different appreciation for these things than we did because it's already around them. I read an article about it and someone said their daughter uses the tablet just like any other toy in the toy box. Sometimes it's part of play, sometimes not. Before reading this perspective I was really against screen time but I think it might be fighting a losing battle. Absolutely pretend and free play are super important and it will happen too, but screens don't have to be feared or banned either.

Btw, I changed my screen name. (jmcdyer)

And OP, "negative" comments are gonna happen but one makes it worse if one deletes. And I didn't see any negative comments anyway. Ppl disagreeing with u doesn't count.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"