Trouble TTC
Options

Obese and IVF

So, I have my WTF appointment tomorrow.  I've really been struggling to figure out if I want to do injectables or just go straight to IVF.  I'm worried about multiples or being cancelled with injectables, IVF is just scary to think about a needle piercing my vagina to get to my ovaries.  But I really don't want to waste time on things that aren't going to work for me, and I am in huge need of my doctor's advice.

I follow people on Youtube who post about their IF treatments, and honestly, if they are overweight, I am especially interested in their updates.  There is one girl who is my size who just did an ET and it didn't work, and I was in tears watching her video.  She mentioned that her weight is what is keeping her from being successful.  So, I start googling ivf in obese women, and I click on an article that was just fucking awful.  It was about Canada covering IVF, and that there should be a weight limit to those who can undergo it, and all the comments, every single one, were about how fat people shouldn't have kids, are lazy, that nature is trying to tell them something if they can't get pregnant, and I just broke down crying.  I lost 50 lbs last year, but due to hell at work,depression outbreak, and then IF treatments, I have gained 40 of it back in the last year.  I am starting to worry my weight is going to keep me from being successful, and I only get 3 shots at IVF before my insurance cuts us off, and there is no way we could afford it OOP.

I'm 5'4", weigh 290 lbs.  I do not have insulin resistance, I have a job where I am constantly on my feet walking (I'm a nurse), and have no problem going to the gym and working out.  I am a pretty healthy obese person aside from my PCOS.  I'm just an emotional/stress eater, and I'm Southern, which I feel its just in my DNA to gravitate towards bad for you, but delicious food. lol.

So, basically, I'm wondering if I should just try injectables for maybe a cycle or two and see what happens, and then bench myself for a year to lose some serious weight before we attempt IVF?  The only time in my life my periods were regular was when I played soccer in high school, and I just don't want to go through treatments that are never going to work because of my weight.  The idea of giving up is probably just as devastating as injectables or IVF not working to think about to me.  But it has become obvious to me that I can not go through treatments AND lose weight at the same time, its just not possible.  I have to do one or the other.  I am waiting until we talk to the RE tomorrow, but I am starting to think our TTC journey is coming to a halt for a while. :(

Me: 30, PCOS-non IR, Annovulatory; DH: 31, SA normal :)
Testing Completed! HSG Clear, Ovarian Reserve score 17, Elevated Testosterone, everything else normal so far
 Clomid 150mg + HCG + IUI #1 May/June 2014 (BFN)
Clomid 150 mg + HCG + IUI #2 July 2014 (BFN)
Femara 2.5mg + Estrace + HCG + IUI #3 Cancelled d/t no response
Moving on to IVF with ICSI after break to lose weight.

My Ovulation Chart

Re: Obese and IVF

• Options
    Do you know if your clinic has a max BMI for IVF?  My clinic sets that max at 39. 

Here's the thing...after having an IVF converted to IUI (so essentially an IUI with injects), THAT WAS SO MUCH WORK FOR AN IUI.  I'd never voluntarily do an IUI with injects again.  If I am going through all that crap, I want the success rate of an IVF.  But that's just my opinion. 

I am going to go get a coffee and then I'm going to PM you. 
    Me: 34 | He: 40
    TTC since 08/2012
    DX: DOR

• Options

The place I'll be going to for fertility treatments has a max BMI for IVF. It scares the shit out of me. 

I don't have any specific advice regarding the IVF, but I would suggest not reading the comments! Comments are awful. They never fail to make me sad, angry, you name it.

Best of luck to you! {{Internet Hugs}} 

Me: 27, PCOS. DH: 28, TBD.

Married since August 8, 2009

2009-2011: TTC 12+mo. Irregular periods, normal blood work.
    2012 - 07/2013: Baby plans on hold. Back on BCP.
    07/2013 - 06/2014: Off BCP to try again. Completely absent periods. High testosterone. Referred to Endocrinologist.
    07/24/2014: PCOS diagnosis. Lifestyle changes before determining next steps...
    08/16/2014; CD1!! (Provera)
    08/26/2014: RE Consultation. Plan is to continue weight loss, prescribed levothyroxine (50mcg) for slightly high TSH.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know if there is a max BMI at my RE, but he did put that as part of my TX plan to continue to lose weight, so I have a good feeling he's going to want me to lose weight before going forward.  I'm only 30, so I have time on my side for now.  This is so hard for me to say we aren't going to keep trying.  I refuse to go back on BCP, so I will have to figure out what plan I should have in place to keep me from going over 60 days each cycle.

Testing Completed! HSG Clear, Ovarian Reserve score 17, Elevated Testosterone, everything else normal so far

My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    **loss mentioned**

So many hugs @bananapancakes02. I have been having some of the same thoughts about myself. I am in the "obese" category as well. Between the fact that we have already done 3 IUIs and the ectopic, it really doesn't make sense for us to keep doing IUIs. However, I am worried that my weight will lower our chances of success with IVF. It sucks to have something like that stand in your way. It is so hard to lose weight, and there is so much shame already associated with it, you know? 

My initial thoughts on your situation would be to try an injects + IUI cycle. That made a *huge* difference for me. It could also give your doctor a chance to see how your body reacts to injects before trying IVF, and you might feel like you gave everything a chance before moving on? 

I know @ronniesgirl1981 said that she thought an injects + IUI was too much work, but I have to disagree. For me, I had significantly fewer monitoring appointments and side-effects compared to Clomid, and literally the only thing that was harder was that I had to do an injection instead of take a pill.  Maybe you will find it to be more stressful than your oral med cycle, but maybe not. That's just something to think about. 

Whether you decide to do an injects + IUI in the meantime or not, you might be better of losing some weight before you do an IVF cycle. In some ways, at least at my clinic, there is a lot of waiting built into an IVF cycle anyways (taking BCPs, getting your cycle in sync with their group cycle dates), so you might not have to significantly delay your cycle to lose a little weight (obviously it depends how much you want to lose). Because of the treatment for my ectopic, the earliest I'll be able to cycle is November, so I think I will try to lose a little weight before I do IVF, but I am not necessarily going to delay my cycle any further just to lose weight. If that cycle is unsuccessful, then I guess I can always delay the next one an additional month or two to lose more weight if I feel like it is necessary. That might be a way to think about it too. 

I'm sorry you're stuck making this decision. I know it is really hard to deal with. I feel the same way you do, where delaying cycles is hard. I hope after you talk to your doctor you come up with a plan you feel good about. I hope you'll keep us updated. 
    **siggy warning**  **everyone welcome**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    DS- 11.07.02
    DSS- 6.26.04
    Married- 6.29.13
    TTC Again- Sept. 2013
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Test Results/Diagnosis- HSG & SA totally normal
    DX: 3/2014 Prolactinoma/Hyperprolactinemia- Started cabergoline 2/2014
    5/2014 Possible mild PCOS in addition to hyperprolactinemia??
    7/2014 Adding probable tubal factor to the diagnosis list
    9/2014 And now adding hypothyroid to the list- Started synthroid 9/2014
    Cycles 1-4 - Sept.-March- All Anovulatory 
    IUI #1 March/April-  Clomid 50mg + Clomid 100mg +Trigger + IUI #1 = BFN
     IUI #2 April/May-Clomid 100mg + Clomid 150mg + Trigger + IUI #2 + Endometrin=BFN
    IUI #3- June- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3  Benched due to a 40 mm cyst. :-(
    IUI #3- July- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3 + Endometrin = BFP! on 7/25/14
    Slowly rising betas - Ectopic suspected on 8/8/14 & confirmed on 8/11/14
    Methotrexate on 8/12/14 -HCG negative on 9/2/14
    IVF #1- November- Antagonist protocol: 11/1: start stims, 200iu of Follistim; 11/12 ER 17R/14M/14F; 11/17 5 day transfer of two blasts, 2 blasts and 2 expanding morulas frozen; 11/22 BFP!! (On FRER at 5dp5dt)
    Betas: 9dp5dt 205, 11dp5dt 497, 14dp5dt 1,709
    u/s at 5w0d- 1 sac; u/s at 6w0d 1 baby with heartbeat, another sac without a heartbeat

• Options
    I know @ronniesgirl1981 said that she thought an injects + IUI was too much work, but I have to disagree. For me, I had significantly fewer monitoring appointments and side-effects compared to Clomid, and literally the only thing that was harder was that I had to do an injection instead of take a pill.  Maybe you will find it to be more stressful than your oral med cycle, but maybe not. That's just something to think about.  
    I found this too. After the first shot, injects were no biggie and I definitely had fewer side effects.

***siggy warning***

Me: 29; DH: 53
    TTC since February 2013 --- mild thin PCOS (or not, depending on which RE you ask), MFI

TI#1: BFN (April 2014; Clomid 50mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Clomid 50 mg x4 days)
    IUI#1: c/p (May 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x10 days)
    IUI#2: abandoned... O'd early & DH hormone issues (June 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x2 days)
    IUI#2.1: BFN (July 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x4 days)

Moving on to IVF. (Why we're moving on to IVF)

IVF#1 (w/ICSI): BCP 9/9-9/23. Gonal-F, Ganirelix, Low-dose HCG (antagonist protocol). 41R/35M/32F... 2 transferred on 10/14, 14 frosties! On cabergoline to help avoid OHSS. BFN, possibly because of 90% drop in estrogen and progesterone a few days after ET.
    FET#1: Transferring 2 on January 8. BFP! beta#1 (1/17): 408, beta#2 (1/20): 1310, first u/s scheduled 2/5

image    image
  • Options
    I just don't want to be on them long term anymore.  I was on them for over 10 years, and coming off of them was a pretty big mind fuck.  I also don't want to miss out on the possibility of my periods coming on their own as I lose weight.

My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    FWIW, it's not that the injects cycle was a lot of work...I just found it to be a lot of work for just an IUI.  For me and for my response, the same amount of monitoring would be needed for an IVF cycle.  And that may not be true for you. 

But I do agree that side effect-wise, it's way better than clomid.  I didn't get the clomid rage, but I did get a yeast infection both cycles that I was on it. 
    Me: 34 | He: 40
    TTC since 08/2012
    DX: DOR

• Options
    FWIW, it's not that the injects cycle was a lot of work...I just found it to be a lot of work for just an IUI.  For me and for my response, the same amount of monitoring would be needed for an IVF cycle.  And that may not be true for you.  
    Though I have not yet done an IVF round, I expect the monitoring will be the same since my reaction to the meds was extremely varied. I guess I find it less involved with respect to side effects. From the stories I've read on here, it sounds like IVF is much more emotionally and financially (duh), if not physically, taxing.

Obviously I've decided that IVF is more worth my time, money, and effort that IUI since I'm moving on after only two IUI cycles. I am glad I did two cycles of IUI to see how I respond to the injects. I hope that will be useful information for my new RE for IVF.

***siggy warning***

Me: 29; DH: 53
    TTC since February 2013 --- mild thin PCOS (or not, depending on which RE you ask), MFI

TI#1: BFN (April 2014; Clomid 50mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Clomid 50 mg x4 days)
    IUI#1: c/p (May 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x10 days)
    IUI#2: abandoned... O'd early & DH hormone issues (June 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x2 days)
    IUI#2.1: BFN (July 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x4 days)

Moving on to IVF. (Why we're moving on to IVF)

IVF#1 (w/ICSI): BCP 9/9-9/23. Gonal-F, Ganirelix, Low-dose HCG (antagonist protocol). 41R/35M/32F... 2 transferred on 10/14, 14 frosties! On cabergoline to help avoid OHSS. BFN, possibly because of 90% drop in estrogen and progesterone a few days after ET.
    FET#1: Transferring 2 on January 8. BFP! beta#1 (1/17): 408, beta#2 (1/20): 1310, first u/s scheduled 2/5

image    image
  • Options
    I just don't want to be on them long term anymore.  I was on them for over 10 years, and coming off of them was a pretty big mind fuck.  I also don't want to miss out on the possibility of my periods coming on their own as I lose weight.
    Fair enough. Provera may be the way to go for you!
    Those were my thoughts exactly. I want to have an idea of what's going on with my cycles, especially with the weight loss, in hopes of them getting better/more normal. Provera is a good solution for now.

07/2013 - 06/2014: Off BCP to try again. Completely absent periods. High testosterone. Referred to Endocrinologist.
    08/26/2014: RE Consultation. Plan is to continue weight loss, prescribed levothyroxine (50mcg) for slightly high TSH.

• Options

Early last year I hit my 50 pound weight loss mark, which I lost over about an 8 month period. I was going to the gym 4-5 days a week, eating better, I'm not perfect by any means, but I was making a serious attempt and was doing well. Then I got my IUD out. I thought I had just hit a plateau (not really connecting that my weight loss stopped when my IUD came out) and after about 4 months of losing absolutely no weight, even with changing up my working out and trying different work out plans, I got diagnosed with PCOS and Endo. My blood sugars were out.of.control. I started taking metformin, and it wasn't working for me at all. I ended up stopping with the blood sugar meds because instead of helping they were actually making me have levels too low, and I kept getting dizzy and passed out at work. At the time I was just seeing an OB who really didn't understand my blood sugar issues because of my PCOS so I just stopped all medication.

Fast forward a year and a half later and I am now seeing an RE who is seriously looking in to options for my blood sugars, but more important (to me anyways) she said that she fully believes the reason I was unable to continue losing weight is BECAUSE of my blood sugars (and a thyroid issue I didn't know I had). BUT, even with that happening, my RE doesn't think that my weight should hinder me in getting pregnant. She said of course the healthier you are the better chance you have, but she feels that I am very healthy, my blood work (besides my blood sugars and thyroid) are darn near perfect, my uterus and ovaries are "beautiful" haha, and I respond well to the medications.

I am 5'5 235 pounds, if that helps at all, so I do have a higher BMI. I am still actively working out and trying to eat well, knowing that I will continue to be plateaued until I can get my blood sugars and thyroid figured out, but as long as my RE thinks I'm golden, then I just try not to worry about it.

That was ridiculously long, so I apologize, but I just wanted to let you know that my RE doesn't necessarily have a negative outlook on it, even though I'm considered obese.

Good luck!! 

***Signature/Ticker Warning***

March 2008 - DD born - no issues conceiving (surprise). Limited issues during pregnancy/delivery.
    June 2011 - Married DH.
    June 2013 - Diagnosis of Endometriosis and PCOS (approximate).
    December 2013 - First cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    January 2014 - 2nd Cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    February 2014 - 3rd Cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    March 2014 - Took month off to prep for surgery
    April 2014 - Laporoscopy for endo. Unable to remove endo due to too close of proximity to ureter. HSG done as well. Fillopian tubes open.
    May 2014 - 1st round of Femara. Positive OPK. BFN.
    June 2014 - 2nd round of Femara. Moved to RE to have CD10 Follicular U/S. No Follies in left ovary. 5 follies in right. Largest follie 8mm, 1 7mm, 2 3mm, 1 2mm. Positive OPK on day of U/S. BFN. DH has SA done at this time - All results within normal limits.
    July 2014 - 3rd round of Femara. CD10 Follicular U/S. No follies in left ovary. 7 follies in right. 1 20mm, 1 12mm, 1 10mm, 4 <5mm. Scheduled for IUI. Canceled due to low estrogen level of 145. TI this month. Prepping for Injectables next month. BFN.
    August 2014 - CD3 BW Normal. Injectables not happening because of stupid miscommunication about "required injectables class." Taking class this month. No medication. TI for the month. SIS scheduled for 8/7/14. SIS results - "I have a beautiful uterus." Huzzah!
    September 2014 - Cycle cancelled due to stupid AF coming early and making my IUI run in to DH's business trip. Try again next month.
    October 2014 - Injects with IUI cycle. 75U 5 days. Estrogen at 36. Bumped up to 125 for 4 days. Estrogen 105. Bumped up to 225. Ganirelix for 2 days. 4 mature follies. Triggered 10/9. IUI 10/10.
    BFP 10/24/2014. Beta #1 - 178   Beta #2 - 398.   U/S 11/7/14- TWINS!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

***SIGGY WARNING***

I hope it is okay if I respond to this.  I have debated all morning on whether to post or not. 

From what I can tell from your siggy, you and I have a relatively similar DX -- PCOS, ovulation issues, and DHs with normal SAs.  (sorry if I am misreading or misinterpreting) 

I can totally sympathize with the weight struggles.  And mean people can suck it.  I am so sorry you are dealing with it.  I struggled a lot with my weight during my treatment cycles.  I had decided to do one more treatment cycle before we moved onto adoption or living child free (we are OOP).  Before my last cycle I took a break and was determined to lose some weight.  I can say that, for me it was hugely beneficial in several ways.  (1)  I lost a lot of weight which I would like to think helped with my last cycle.  (2)  Losing weight helped me feel accomplished at something and good about myself.  For me, dealing with IF was really emotionally hard and I was getting beat down.  When I took a break and really focused on something else I started seeing positive changes in me  and I started feeling better about myself in a number of ways.  I know no one wants to take a break (I know I didn't), but I was really glad I did. 

I also did injects + TI and was really glad I did.  We had much better success with injects producing good eggs and my lining plumping like it should than we ever did with clomid.  I would say it is worth a try to do an injects cycle before moving to IVF.  I agree with the other ladies that I had less side effects and saw much more promising results from my monitoring appts than I did with clomid. 

In the end, I think you have to do what is right for you.  I remember when we decided to do TI instead of IUI people looked at us like we were crazy because IUI has higher success rates.  But we had to do what we were comfortable with at the time and for us that was TI.  I hope you are able to find a path that you and your H are comfortable with!  I am keeping everything crossed for you! 

**************SIGGY WARNING**************

BLOG

Me 32 :: DH 41

TTC since November, 2011

DH's SA : Excellent

Lap and Hysteroscopy June 2012

DX: PCOS, Stage III Endo, slight Adenomyosis, blocked tube, and probable LPD

Treatments:  6 Months Lupron Depot injections; 1500 mg metformin; 3 cycles of Clomid + TI = BFN

3 endometrial biopsies all were "out of phase" 

September - December, 2013:  Break to lose weight and get healthy

40 lb weight loss but still not ovulating "in phase"  

February - March 2014: bcps + follistim + trigger + TI = BFP

Beta #1 (12dpo): 30; Beta #2 (18dpo): 500; Beta #3 (25dpo): 7,000!!! 

1st u/s 4/16: One beautiful hb at 144 bmp 

2nd u/s 4/29: hb at 166 bmp.  Graduated from RE!!

TEAM PINK! 

Baby girl arrived on Thanksgiving day weighing 7lbs 6oz and measuring 20 inches

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    HUGS to all!! I am in the same boat as far as trying to lose weight to better my chances (currently not taking any IF drugs though). I'm looking at atleast 20lbs, even though I could lose more... I want to make my goal a little more realistic so I don't feel overwhelmed. 

imageimage
    Me: 28 // DH: 26
    Paratubal Cyst & Endo (Removed 5/2014) // No Known Issues - Perfect SA 
    3 years ~ Trying for #1
    Proud parents of 2 fur-babies: Taylor (Boxer) & Clyde (Pitbull)

TTGP: September Siggy Challenge ~ Teen Crush : Mark Wahlberg
    "Even miracles take a little time" 
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so sorry, that's really stressful. How much is a woman supposed to be able to deal with at once??

Just thinking about the options you mentioned...I might wait on the injectibles until after taking off time to get healthier, because I'd want them to have the best chance, but also because I think an injectible cycle can give really helpful info to the RE on how to put together an IVF protocol if needed, so I would want my injectible cycle right before IVF if needed.

That said, I would first ask my doctor for straight up numbers to know how much a weight loss would/wouldn't make a difference in my chances. I would not want to give up a year or so TTC just to improve my chances by 5%, for example. I would want to know, too, how much weight I'd need to lose in order to make a big difference in my chances.

I hope you get some great news at your WTF appointment! Good luck. :)
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Options
    @bananapancakes02 That's great news! You can do it!!

• Options
    Good Luck!!!

TTC #1

Me: AMA, DH: MFI

Official DX - MFI due to Hemochromatosis

IVF #1 Nov. 2014 - ER 11/10 (10R 6M 6F) - ET 11/13 

3DT of 3 embies - no frosties - CP = BFFN!!!!

****All Welcome****

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"