Infertility
Options

Gluten and dairy-free cycle

I have heard from people that they are on gluten and/or dairy-free diet during their IVF cycles. Is this for implantation purposes mainly or do they help with quality/quantity as well? It is possible that I may freeze all this cycle with a transfer for later this year. Is there an advantage of going gluten-free or dairy-free during the cycle if you are freezing all? And, is dairy-free or lactose-free? That is, is it okay if I eat yogurt and drink lactose-free milk? Thanks!

---- Siggy warning ------

Me 34 y/o  DH 35 y/o

IVF#1 (ICSI)-- April 2014-- MDL with BCP, 5R, 4 ICSID, 3dt with three embryos, 1 six-day freeze (2BA grade)-- BFN

IVF#2.1 (ICSI)-- August 2014: MDL without BCP-- cancelled

Natural IUI on 11/8 -- BFN

IVF#2.2 (ICSI)--Nov/Dec 2014: MDL without BCP, 5R, 1 ICSID, frozen on day 6 (grade 2BB)

FET #1: transferred two 5 (or 6?)day embryos on January 27. Beta #1 (2/4): 158, Beta #2 (2/6): 391 Beta #3(2/9): 1187 BFP! 

First u/s at 5w1d showed one gestational sac and yolk sac. Second u/s at 6w showed heartbeat at 102. Third u/s at 7w heart rate 145. EDD 10/15/2015

Re: Gluten and dairy-free cycle

• Options
    My RE recommended it for a freeze all cycle as well as a FET cycle. Supposedly, it will help with egg quality as well as implantation. I believe you have to be dairy free as its the casein that causes the issue and this is in any cow products. My RE said goat products (cheese, milk, etc) are OK.

BFP #1: 1/4/13, EDD 9/8/13, Missed M/C confirmed 2/8/13, Misoprostol

2013: Three CPs w/ EDDs: EDD 2/10/14, EDD 3/24/14, EDD 6/24/14

IVF/ICSI #1 (Antagonist) - Jan 2014- 19R, 14M, 11F, 3 penguins (6BB, 4BB, 6BC)  PGD tested- All Normal!

IVF/ICSI #2 (Antagonist) - Feb 2014 - 23R, 11M, 10F, 1 penguin (3BB) - Another Normal!

FET #1 - March 26, BFN

FET #2- Beta #1 (9dp5dt) -332, Beta #2 (11dp5dt) -1027, EDD 1/30/2015, Missed M/C, D&C 6/19/14

IVF/ICSI #3 (Lupron Down Reg) - Oct 2014 - 38R, 28M, 27F, 20 frozen on day 5, 16 normal penguins!!

FET#3 - February 1, 2015, Prep begins 1/13

All Welcome!

• Options
    Hmmm I haven't heard of this yet but I'm looking into it now!!!
    SIGGY WARNING//TICKER WARNING//PAIF

Long of the Short:
     TTC since April 2013  DH 42 y/o I'm 30  Dh had vasectomy reversal Feb 2013 after 3 months developed scar tissue 
     First Re appt was September 2013 OOP for everything minus meds  
    DH's TESE surgery December 2013
    First cycle was February 2014 BFN none to freeze
     Second cycle was April 2014 BFP ending in Chemical Pregnancy none to freeze
     Third cycle June 2014 BFN none to freez
     Fourth cycle October 30th 28 retrieved, 13 mature and 12 fertilized
    PICSI, assisted hatching and fresh sperm from my DH's TESE surgery used
    5 FROZEN from a freeze all cycle! 
    FET completed on DECEMBER 9TH!!!
    Beta #1 13dp5dt BFP!! 800
    Beta #2 15dp5dt 2100
    Beta #3 17dp5dt 3600 
    First Scan January 5th! Everything looks great! Heart rate of 121!
    Second Scan January 20th. Baby Justone13 looks amazing. Heart rate of 175!
    Baby Girl is due August 27th
    Liv Annmarie born 8/25 7lbs 6oz 21 1/2 inches long 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am gluten free, but not specifically for IF (though I, of course, hoped for a magical cure). I feel so much better all around. Lost 40 pounds and lost a huge amount of puffiness. For anyone considering making the switch, just be sure to stay away from packaged/processed GF foods. They are terrible for your blood sugar level and will keep you hungry. I occasionally eat GF pizza and always feel like crap for a day or two afterwards.
    Me: 34 | He: 40
    TTC since 08/2012
    DX: DOR

• Options
    I am permanently gluten and dairy-free, but only because I have reactions to gluten and dairy. I haven't heard about how it would benefit IVF. Removing gluten reduced my endo pain. For whatever reason gluten makes my endo pain ten times worse. So perhaps it is very inflammatory for some people.

Me: 32, DOR and mild endometriosis
    DH: 34, perfect

SEPT 2013 - Lap to diagnose and remove endometriosis
    NOV 2013 to MAR 2014 - 3 cycles of injectables + TI, all BFN
    AUG 2014 - IVF #1: 5R, 4F, All made it to blast, 5dt of 1, 3 frozen, BFN

• Options
    @ashlee‌ There are studies that backup your experience: https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2013/02/wheat-and-endometriosis/
    TTC since 08/2012

• Options
    I'm doing the paleo diet (it's gluten and dairy free) because me and DH are doing a 5k at the end of the month. I didn't know it was good for the cycles but I'm glad I know ! Score!!! I know it has helped greatly with my digestion and regularity (sorry for the TMI) lol

ME - 31, DX with dual hydrosalpinx (2012) , confirmed again in 2014, starting IVF 1st Cycle Dec 2014

Bloodwork done 8/8/2014 LH - 2.8, FSH 6.1

DH - 31, testing scheduled for 8/22/2014, 60-70% motility, no problems found

• Options
    @ronniesgirl1981 Wow. I had no idea they had done a study on that!

Me: 32, DOR and mild endometriosis
    DH: 34, perfect

SEPT 2013 - Lap to diagnose and remove endometriosis
    NOV 2013 to MAR 2014 - 3 cycles of injectables + TI, all BFN
    AUG 2014 - IVF #1: 5R, 4F, All made it to blast, 5dt of 1, 3 frozen, BFN

• Options
    @Hoping4LO‌ Both are bad for you for different reasons. I swear by Dr. Davis, so here's his explain: https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/09/gluten-free-muffin-top/. FWIW, I had some tortillas chips today, because...they are good..., but I do try to keep it to a minimum. Here's Wheat Belly's "Quick and Dirty" guide in case anyone is interested. https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/10/wheat-belly-quick-and-dirty/
    TTC since 08/2012

• Options
    I tried going gluten free for my last cycle. I started a few weeks before my cycle began and carried it through to the end. I also did I a lot of research/reading online too. 

Here is my take: I believe there are a lot of people (more that 1% that is cited for celiacs) that have some level of sensitivity to gluten. If you do have a sensitivity or allergy then, yes, it would be advantageous to go gluten free. If you don't then I believe there is no impact and instead you remove an important protein source and complex carbs.

When I started going gluten free, I did not notice a difference in how I felt. Then when I started eating wheat again I also did not notice a difference in how I felt. Therefor I concluded that I do not have any issue with gluten. 

We are always looking for a thing that can help. All I can say is if you notice a difference in how you feel after going gluten free, then go for it. If not, enjoy a bagel!  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    January & February: 2 IUIs, BFN
    March:  IUI, ectopic, 2 surgeries with 1 tube removed
    May - July: 3 more IUIs, all BFN, on to IVF
    August: IVF#1, BFN
    September:  FET#1, BFP!!!
    It's a girl!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards