Trying to Get Pregnant

Triphasic shift in BBT

Hi Ladies!  

This is my first post, and I am so glad to be here!  I have been lurking for a while and I have been moved and delighted by all of the support in the forums. Not to mention, I have learned a ton!

So, I have been tracking my BBT in an effort to pinpoint ovulation along with the OPK. Currently I am 12 DPO and got a BFN this morning, but I am still holding out hope.  I have been having abdominal cramping and twinges the last couple of days, but not sure to attribute to implantation or AF.  Technically I have 4 more days until AF and it might just be too early to get that second line! One huge boost in my positivity came after taking my temp this morning. My BBT shifted .4 degrees since yesterday, and almost a WHOLE degree in the past 2 days, signaling my triphasic shift.  Now, I know that this doesn't predict pregnancy, but it seems like a very good sign!

I just wanted to put it out there, and see if any of you ladies have experienced the same thing.  Did you get that BFP when it happened? How many of you have a triphasic but got a BFN?  Any facts you would like to share about the triphasic or anything else I mentioned?

My background:
This is my first month actually TTC, but I have been working on getting to this point for a while.  I was diagnosed with PCOS last year, and Doc said I haven't been fertile in years based on my highly irregular cycle. Doc put me on some hormones to try to kick my system back into gear and I stopped taking them at the end of June to start trying. I am hopeful but cynical. The two week waiting game from ovulation to testing is horrible! How do y'all do it month after month?!
~Mrs. Miller~

Married: June 21, 2014
TTC: since July 2014

Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: Triphasic shift in BBT

• ^this. I think I only had one triphastic chart, and it was a bfn cycle. At least one poster this week had said they regularly get triphastic charts and they are pregnant.

Also I caution overanalyzing your chart. It's your first cycle. You might find a similar pattern as the person above, or it may be a fluke temp. Also sometimes factors, like not sleeping well or drinking some the night before will raise your temp. Look for the overall pattern, even after your confirmed o.

Regardless, good luck!

Yes that poster commented in the thread yesterday about temping in the 2ww- she said she almost always had a triphasic pattern but had never been pregnant.

I am guilty of over analyzing my chart as well but everything I've read indicates nothing conclusive about your temp patterns until the end of your LP.

• From my understanding, this doesn't necessarily mean you are pregnant. 

Welcome and good luck with your TTC journey!
    "S15 January Siggy Challange - Happy Dance"
    Jimmy Fallon Dance

Married: 10/4/2013
    TTC Since September 2014
    BFP 11/30/2014 ~ EDD 8/13/2015 ~ CP 12/5/2014
    BFP #2 12/30/2014 ~ EDD 9/13/2015 Stick bean stick!
  • Loading the player...
  • dmsmthdmsmth member
    edited August 2014
    2 of my 3 pregnancy charts were triphasic. I did have 1 that ff told me was triphasic, but i had 3 high temps and af showed the end of the 3 rd day. So 2/3 of my triphasic charts ended in pregnancy.
    m/c April '08
    DD#1 born June '09
    DD#2 born April '11
    TTC #3 as of July '14

My Ovulation Chart
  • I have had a triphasic chart that ended in a chemical pregnancy. But it definitely does not mean you are pregnant. Good luck! 
  • emilie818 Thank you for this suggestion!  I had no idea you could compare charts like that.  Great resource.

TrinityRebirth Welcome to you too, then!  And gl to you!

kariann12 Sorry about your BFN, and thank you for the suggestions.  Good luck to you!

LDubHawksFan Sorry about your BFN, and thank you for your suggestions.  Yes the last thing I am trying to do is get my hopes up, but it seems to happen anyway.  No amount of "this doesn't mean anything"s will take mind off analyzing all the symptoms (or non symptoms).  Either way, I'll know in a couple days!

~Mrs. Miller~

Married: June 21, 2014
    TTC: since July 2014

Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • I sincerely hope you get pregnant soon, but please don't get your hopes up based on a possible triphasic chart. It does not necessarily mean you are pregnant. Or even an increase in your chances really.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• gscovillegscoville member
    edited August 2014
    BBT charting is meant ONLY for pinpointing ovulation, it is NOT MEANT for predicting pregnancy. The ugliest charts can end in BFP just as the prettiest charts can end in BFN. I've had both, and not been pregnant. I had triphasic shifts, supposed implantation dips, pretty high temps staying up all the way until and days past getting my period, and still not pregnant. I really wish people would stop trying to read pregnancy into their BBT charts, that's just not what they're intended for.

sp1106 said:
    No amount of "this doesn't mean anything"s will take mind off analyzing all the symptoms (or non symptoms).  Either way, I'll know in a couple days!

There is an "amount" that will take your mind off of things, believe me, if you get to two years of TTC as I have that overanalyzing everything and trying to read into every symptom will go away.  It's too painful to sustain that kind of wild and unreasoning hope month after month.  I truly hope you never get to this point, but in the meantime I would highly recommend finding some hobbies or work to take your mind off of obsessing   Been there, done that with comparing charts in FF and staring for hours at my charts trying to find some hint of pregnancy, such an unproductive waste of time and energy.

imageimage

Married August 2012. Me: 41  DH: 42 
    Daughter from previous marriage: 20

BFP 12/19/12: Ectopic discovered at 8 weeks, right tube removed 01/18/13
    June 2013 Testing Results: Progesterone: 31.7, LH: 5, FSH: 5, Estradiol: 161
    Clomid cycles Nov. 2013 and Jan, Feb, and March 2014

TTC journey over as of the end of October 2014

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• I have hideously ugly charts, but I have been pregnant twice in the past four months. I wouldn't look too much into it.

Welcome to the board and good luck!

Monster #1- Hunter Fillmore! 10.1.11
     MC 3.20.14 -- 8w3d
    MC 7.11.14-- 5w4d
    Monsterette #2- EDD  5.9.15

• I've had triphasic charts quite a few times. Never had a BFP. 

Good luck!
    TTC #1 since 8/2013
    DX: Unexplained infertility 11/2014
    Hysteroscopy, D&C 11/17/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"