Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

What does baby sleep in when he comes home?

I of course am getting a crib.  

But do I need a bassinet, a Moses basket, both, or neither?  Are these for babies that are too small to go in the crib?  Are they for the first few weeks when you want them right next to you?  Are some of them supposed to go on the bed?  How long do they use them for?  Thanks.

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: What does baby sleep in when he comes home?

• Options
    It all depends on your plans.
    Do you want to bed share?
    Do you want the baby in the same room as you? If yes, how long?
    Will baby go straight to their own room?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    Our dd stayed in our room for 3-4 months. She was in a bassinet that my bil passed down to us. She outgrew the bassinet by 2.5 months so we switched her to the pack n play (elevated bassinet portion).

We would have used her crib if it fit through the doorways. She was in her crib when we moved her to her own room.

I never would have spent money for a bassinet since we got a pack n play.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kmc84 said:
    Our dd stayed in our room for 3-4 months. She was in a bassinet that my bil passed down to us. She outgrew the bassinet by 2.5 months so we switched her to the pack n play (elevated bassinet portion). We would have used her crib if it fit through the doorways. She was in her crib when we moved her to her own room. I never would have spent money for a bassinet since we got a pack n play.

This! I remember struggling with this question when I had DS1. It really depends on if you want the baby in your room for the first few months. If you do, then I recommend either a Pack N Play or the Arms Reach Co-Sleeper which will make it easy to nurse in the middle of the night.

We used a Pack N Play and it is still useful if we need a place for DS to sleep if we go somewhere at night.

• Options
    I was thinking of keeping baby in our room for a weeks but not for a few months.   The nursery is right next to the master bedroom.  Our bed is a king size.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    All 4 of ours went straight in their cribs in their own room from night 1. Why make it harder later?

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• Options
    We had a bassinet that we borrowed from a freind. I would not have spent the money myself, but did love having it. It was easy to move around the house. We also bought a pack n play for when we travel, but the bassinet fit better beside my bed. She slep in our room for about 8 or 10 weeks (I think... It's a blur at this point ;) ) and we has zero trouble moving her to her crib.

• Options
    We intended for DS to sleep in a play 'n' pack in our room for the first couple of months. Neither DH nor I slept well with him in our room. By the time he was a month old we'd transitioned him to his crib, and we all slept much better. For us, room sharing didn't work: we had a lot of problems figuring out breastfeeding so nursing in bed wasn't an option, so I was already doing the feedings and diaper changes in his room.

PNP was our least used baby gear item (fortunately it was a gift), but I am still glad we had it and will have it for a future baby.
  • Options
    All 4 of ours went straight in their cribs in their own room from night 1. Why make it harder later?

I am usually a fan of the fewer transitions, the better. However, this may not work for everyone. DS's nursery was on the second floor and there is no way I was climbing the stairs multiple times a night to nurse when he was a newborn, especially since I had a C-section. Plus room sharing is said to lower the incidence of SIDS in the first few months.

OP, as long as baby sleeps on a flat surface, transitioning him to a crib shouldn't be an issue. A lot of people love the Rock N Play but unless your baby has reflux and needs to sleep more upright, I wouldn't recommend it because it will make transitioning to the crib a lot harder.

• Options
    My sister gave me a basinet that was adjustable to bed height and it was fabulous. We used it for the first 6-7 weeks and then moved DD into her crib in her own room. I liked having something right next to the bed for nighttime breast feeding so I could just sit up grab her and feed her. But, infants are loud sleepers and it turns out that we were keeping her from sleeping through the night (every meep she made woke me up and I'd grab her to feed her - once we moved her to her own room she began sleeping through what I thought were feeding times, but she's always been a good sleeper so YMMV). 

From what I've read, transitions are basically negligible until somewhere around the 3 month mark, but my kid has never had a problem transitioning (from basinet to crib to big girl bed, as well as one vacations/sleep overs at Grandma's, etc). So I think that's highly dependent on the individual child and family. 

If I were purchasing something, I would just get a packn'play with a basinet and put that next to my bed. The pnp has been super useful and who needs a second thing to spend money one and to take up space. 
  • Options
    Like you said, everyone is different
    We did noThave problems. just thinking of several friends who did have babies in their room and the babies had problems not being close to the parents after 2 or 3 months.

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• Options
    ss265 said:

I am usually a fan of the fewer transitions, the better. However, this may not work for everyone. DS's nursery was on the second floor and there is no way I was climbing the stairs multiple times a night to nurse when he was a newborn, especially since I had a C-section. Plus room sharing is said to lower the incidence of SIDS in the first few months.

OP, as long as baby sleeps on a flat surface, transitioning him to a crib shouldn't be an issue. A lot of people love the Rock N Play but unless your baby has reflux and needs to sleep more upright, I wouldn't recommend it because it will make transitioning to the crib a lot harder.

and this is fine too. all of mine have had reflux, so I am familiar with this. One of the triplets was put up on the third floor for a couple nights to see which of them was waking The others. I can understand how it would be hard after c section, but different people react differently to Them.I was back to runninga week after each.I did not know it could be that difficult, but everyone needs to do what is right for

• Options
    We used a rock n play, which he slept in next to the bed for 3 months. I absolutely loved it, because it was elevated, so if he wasn't sleeping, he could hang out in it. Highly recommend.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    We couldn't fit our pack n play next to the bed so we got a moses basket on a stand so it was close to bed height for easy feedings.  DD stayed there for three months and then we just placed the basket in the crib for a transition time.  After a week or so, we ditched the basket altogether and she has been in the crib ever since.  The nice thing about having her in the room was not having to get up and out of bed every few hours for feeding, and just being able to reach over and touch her to check her breathing (I was a slightly paranoid new mom...)  I think I got a lot more sleep this way.

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"