Infertility
Options

"It Starts With the Egg" Book Discussion!

Hi Ladies,

I mentioned on the "Waiting on a Dream" thread that I had read the book and wanted to get others' impressions on it. So starting this thread! I bought the book on my Kindle and it looks like I may be able to loan it out to other Kindle readers? PM if you haven't read and are interested and I'll see if I can figure that out.

Just throwing out a few questions (feel free to ignore and just post whatever you want!):

What did you think of the book? Did you think it was reliable? Believable?

Did you make any changes as a result of the book?

Did you stop or start or change dosages of any supplements/vitamins? Which? Why?

Have you talked to your RE about the recommendations in the book? Did they have an opinion?

Any other infertility/fertility related books you read that you would or would not recommend?

***************************Loss Mentioned***************************

Me 37 y/o, DH 45 y/o; DH vasectomy reversal (his 2nd marriage) 11/8/12; TTC since 12/8/12. IVF due to MFI. DOR diagnosis April 2015.

IVF #1 BCPs/Antagonist w/ICSI Jan 2014 = BFN

IVF #2 MDL w/PICSI March 2014 = BFN

IVF #3 EPP/Antagonist w/PICSI May/June 2014 = BFP!; MMC 6w4d

IVF #4 No suppression/Antagonist Nov 2014/Converted to IUI #1 = BFN
IVF #4.1 Feb 2015 = cancelled
IVF #4.2 April 2015 - Lupron Stop Protocol with ICSI = PGD testing of embryo indicated it was abnormal
IVF #5 June 2015 EPP with Antagonist 

Everyone welcome!

Re: "It Starts With the Egg" Book Discussion!

• Options

Here are my answers to the questions:

What did you think of the book? Did you think it was reliable? Believable?

Answer - I thought it was very believable and some of it was pretty concerning (especially the chemicals in every day things). I felt pretty comfortable believing the recommendations because I have done so much reading, I was familiar with a lot of the studies referenced, but the author put it all together in a very readable and understand able way.

Did you make any changes as a result of the book?

Answer - I'm now trying to switch from plastic to glass for food items. I replaced my plastic water bottles (even though they were marked BPA-free, since along with the book, I had just read about another study that said that the BPA-free plastics still released similar chemicals effecting hormones). It's tough, because plastic storage, utensils, bottles are everywhere! And so convenient. I also recently started the Medifast diet, which restricts or reduces my intake of a lot of the same things the author recommends avoiding (sugar, alcohol, caffeine, white rice, white bread, high carb/fat items, etc.) so I'm feeling pretty good about that.

Did you stop or start or change dosages of any supplements/vitamins? Which? Why?

Answer- I had already been taking DHEA and CoQ10 on my RE's recommendations. My acupuncturist had wanted me to take a supplement she sold, royal jelly and L-Arginine. Based on the book, I won't be taking any of the stuff my acupuncturist recommended. I did switch my DHEA and CoQ10 to the brands recommended by the author (including the ubiquinol version of CoQ10) and I added the antioxidants (C and E), one other antioxidant (I can't remember the name) and the melatonin. I figure since I'm planning to go for IVF #4 in November, I'm giving myself enough time for the supplements to work. I started the melatonin at the 3 mg suggested (though the study had the women take the melatonin starting after the period before their IVF) and I've lowered it to the 1 mg, because I think the melatonin was drying me out *everywhere.*

Have you talked to your RE about the recommendations in the book? Did they have an opinion?

Answer- I have not talked to my RE about the book. I read the book after my WTF, but we are supposed to have another consult and I plan to discuss it with him, then.

Any other infertility/fertility related books you read that you would or would not recommend?

Answer- I read most of Radine Lewis' "The Infertility Cure," and while I thought it had some good information, I was uncomfortable by some of the recommendations. I do believe in using acupuncture, but think I will stay away from the supplements recommended.

Me 37 y/o, DH 45 y/o; DH vasectomy reversal (his 2nd marriage) 11/8/12; TTC since 12/8/12. IVF due to MFI. DOR diagnosis April 2015.

IVF #4.2 April 2015 - Lupron Stop Protocol with ICSI = PGD testing of embryo indicated it was abnormal

Everyone welcome!

• Options
    gsanchogsancho member
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for starting this thread!  I will be very interested in reading it, if this cycle is a bust - especially since we'll be taking a long break to save up again.  So I'm looking forward to hearing people's feedback.  But for now, I'll be optimistic and wait on ordering it (or bumming it off you) :)

Me 33, DH 37 -- TTC since Jan'12 -- Low AMH (0.78) & endo, SA w/ low motility
    IUI's 1-3 = BFN, IVF converted to IUI 4/13 = BFN
    IVF 1.2: 8R 6M 4F -- 2 blastocysts frozen, FET 8/15 = BFP!!
    Beta #s = 445;1,098; 9,545  -- EDD 5/2 -- Team Pink!
    Camila Josephine arrived 4/30 :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Justone13Justone13 member
    edited August 2014
    @Carol77B‌ This is a fantastic idea!! Great thread!

Once I read the book I felt like I was doing everything wrong. I wish I had read it a year ago and might have had time to get my body ready. I think anyone that is dealing with if should start with this book.

I made some small changed to start with. Trying to buy more organic veggies and fruit, no longer using plastic storage containers for food (glass or ceramic only), using organic shampoo, body wash and hand soap, and changed my cleaners over to method including laundry soap, bathroom cleaner stuff like that.

I've upped my coQ10 from 200mg to 600mg added DHEA 3x a day and melatonin at night. (I'm sleeping like a champ!)

Before I changed my supplements I talked to my re. He didn't have anything to say yes or no only said it couldn't hurt to try. At this point I'll stand on my head and do backflips if I have to. :)
    Edited because my phone is stupid
    SIGGY WARNING//TICKER WARNING//PAIF

Long of the Short:
     TTC since April 2013  DH 42 y/o I'm 30  Dh had vasectomy reversal Feb 2013 after 3 months developed scar tissue 
     First Re appt was September 2013 OOP for everything minus meds  
    DH's TESE surgery December 2013
    First cycle was February 2014 BFN none to freeze
     Second cycle was April 2014 BFP ending in Chemical Pregnancy none to freeze
     Third cycle June 2014 BFN none to freez
     Fourth cycle October 30th 28 retrieved, 13 mature and 12 fertilized
    PICSI, assisted hatching and fresh sperm from my DH's TESE surgery used
    5 FROZEN from a freeze all cycle! 
    FET completed on DECEMBER 9TH!!!
    Beta #1 13dp5dt BFP!! 800
    Beta #2 15dp5dt 2100
    Beta #3 17dp5dt 3600 
    First Scan January 5th! Everything looks great! Heart rate of 121!
    Second Scan January 20th. Baby Justone13 looks amazing. Heart rate of 175!
    Baby Girl is due August 27th
    Liv Annmarie born 8/25 7lbs 6oz 21 1/2 inches long 

• Options
    I thought the book was good and informative. I did take some of its recommendations such as stop using things with parabens and taking some of the supplements...etc. After years of trying it does get hard though to keep up with it all.

With that being said I have felt like living a healthy lifestyle and doing acupuncture have been the most beneficial. I did also read another book called conquering infertility that was about dealing with the emotional side of everything. I found that book helpful as well. Good luck!
    Me (27), DH (27) 1 fur baby
    TTC Sept '11
    Found ovarian cyst Sept '12
    surgery to remove cyst and diagnose endometriosis Jan '13
    Lupron injections Feb '13-July ' 13
    TTC on own July-November '13
    IUI #1 January '14-BFN
    IUI#2 February'14 cancelled due to not responding to Clomid
    IVF #1 cancelled 4/28/14 due to not responding to meds and not enough follicles
    IVF #2- BFP due May'15

• Options
    We actually had a thread about this book in July. Here is the link to it (I hope it works, I'm bad at this stuff...hence still don't have my Tropical Ovaries badge :( )

Me: 37 | DH: 41
    TTC Since 2011 DX: Unexplained 
    IUI's #1 - 3 = BFN
    IVF August 2014: FSH 4.1, PRL 15.3, TSH 2.1, W/ AFC 8.
     08/03 ER 5R, 4M, 3F. 08/08 5DT of 1-3AA0, 2 frozen :) bfp @9dp5dt. Beta on 08/20 = 414.
    So excited to have one little bean on the way!!

• Options

IUI's #1 - 3 = BFN
     08/03 ER 5R, 4M, 3F. 08/08 5DT of 1-3AA0, 2 frozen :) bfp @9dp5dt. Beta on 08/20 = 414.

• Options
    @Canuck13‌ yeah that was my thread. I'm def interested in hearing any new interpretations from the book. :)

Long of the Short:
     TTC since April 2013  DH 42 y/o I'm 30  Dh had vasectomy reversal Feb 2013 after 3 months developed scar tissue 
    Beta #2 15dp5dt 2100
    Beta #3 17dp5dt 3600 

• Options
    Oh...lol oops. I still think it was a very interesting and worthwhile read...we'll see if the changes I made help contribute to IVF success!

IUI's #1 - 3 = BFN

• Options
    @Canuck13‌ fx for you!!

Long of the Short:
    Beta #2 15dp5dt 2100
    Beta #3 17dp5dt 3600 

• Options
    Thank you for linking @Canuck13‌ I'm sorry if this is a repetive thread. I was on a Bump break in July due to my loss.

Everyone welcome!

• Options
    Carol77B said:
    Thank you for linking @Canuck13‌ I'm sorry if this is a repetive thread. I was on a Bump break in July due to my loss.
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss :( I hope you see some positive results from the book recommendations before your next IVF!

IUI's #1 - 3 = BFN

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"