December 2014 Moms
Options

BH frequency?

I've been trying to keep track of threads about braxton hicks contractions because Im pretty sure I'm having them, but haven't seen this been asked: how often and for how long do they occur for you? Im noticing them every day about 6+ times per day. Happens more when Im active. They last about 30 seconds. No pain really, just kinda uncomfortable and belly gets really hard.
BabyFetus Ticker

Married DH May 2011
BFP #1 - 3.28.14
EDD - 12.10.14

Re: BH frequency?

• Options
    MrsBriss said:
    I get them around 5 or more times a day.
    This.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    there's not really a need to track them this early.  it's better to wait until week 36 on up because then it's more important :)  right now, they may just be cramps still or the ute stretching

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've had them quite a bit this pregnancy. Usually 5-6 times a day
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    shinycat said:

Gah, I really don't know! Is it obvious when you have them?

Mine are very obvious and give me a little discomfort. I wonder if that's normal or not.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Married DH May 2011
    BFP #1 - 3.28.14
    EDD - 12.10.14

• Options
    caden1206caden1206 member
    edited August 2014
    I got them a lot with my son and daughter. The last time I was worried because I have history of preterm labor. My OB says the same rule applies as if I was in labor, call if you have more than five in an hour. This is probably due to my history, but anyway I could tell they were more frequent with activity and lack of hydration. It also.gets hard early on to tell if it is a real BH or the baby bunching up for me. If you feel pressure or tightening all over it is probably a BH and if it is off to one side or region it is the baby adjusting. I am sure everything is ok, but I would bring this up to your OB or midwife.
  • Options
    abcmom12 said:
    there's not really a need to track them this early.  it's better to wait until week 36 on up because then it's more important :)  right now, they may just be cramps still or the ute stretching
    Um, if they're frequent enough yes you should be keeping track of them this early. 

I easily have a dozen or more a day. Usually they come in waves, like a few 20-30 minutes apart in the morning, the same again in the afternoon and then several in the evenings. Yesterday I had 5 in a 3 hour span in the afternoon (I was sitting at my desk and wrote them down). Last evening I was probably getting them every 30 minutes for a few hours. Last week I had four in an hour and then 2 in the next hour. I am having twins though so my uterus is particularly taxed and I am trying to be vigilant about PTL. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Options
    NELSMD said:
    Mine are very obvious and give me a little discomfort. I wonder if that's normal or not.
    Well, technically they aren't supposed to hurt, but they are uncomfortable. To me, anyways.  It feels like a gradual tightening until your abdomen gets really hard then a gradual release.  
  • Options
    SLC1102 said:
    I would have never known I was having them had I not read about them here previously.  The only time I notice them is if something draws attention to the bump (I run into something, I'm scratching it, etc.) and I notice that the bump is rock hard.  I'm not sure how frequently it happens, but I will say that since I've noticed them I do seem to get them more after I'm really active or if I really need to use the restroom (odd, right?).
    Both are totally normal. 

• Options
    mlee116 said:
    NELSMD said:
    Well, technically they aren't supposed to hurt, but they are uncomfortable. To me, anyways.  It feels like a gradual tightening until your abdomen gets really hard then a gradual release.  
    Yeah, I'd say they are uncomfortable. They also cause me to feel a weight on my chest - presumably because they are sucking up my blood flow. 

• Options
    amw0914 said:
    I have an alarming amount of them. I usually get them in the morning and in the evening. I actually told my ob the other day that I wouldn't be calling if I had more than 5 an hour bc I would call her multiple times a week. But I have an angry uterus! Eta- this is my third though
    That is angry! Ok, now I feel a little better about mine. 

• Options
    I get about a dozen a day at this point even though I'm on progesterone to try to prevent them. 
                                   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've been getting them quite a bit. Drinking a lot of water helps reduce the frequency of them.

They're a lot more uncomfortable than last time, I'm finding. Then again, she's a lot more active than my son was, too.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • Options
    The important part is to make sure they aren't making cervical changes. Mine leading up to my son were intense, but were definitely not full on labor. They were making changes to my cervix though. My daughter I had a cerclage in and had a bunch of scar tissue as a result around the string. Most of us with irritable uterus get monitored, so I dont think it would hurt to notify your physician. Like I said, I am.sure all is fine but I think you should call with that frequency and intensity.
  • Options
    I only really feel bH contractions when I have to pee and right after sex. Otherwise I hardly feel them at all.
  • Options
    My doc told me to call if I get 4 in an hour, which hasn't happened yet. That's a good point about cervical changes; last time they checked that was at my A/S, which looked fine they said. I've never been one to check my own cervical position, even when TTC, so I'll ask about that. All the responses have been helpful, as usual, gals.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Married DH May 2011
    BFP #1 - 3.28.14
    EDD - 12.10.14

• Options
    Do not check your own cervix. You can cause infection. Just notify him if this the BH are frequent. All my cervical checks are via sonogram.
  • Options
    caden1206 said:

Do not check your own cervix. You can cause infection. Just notify him if this the BH are frequent. All my cervical checks are via sonogram.

Yeah, I dont think I would try, even if I knew what I was looking for ;). I just know it's a fertility sign to look for when TTC.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Married DH May 2011
    BFP #1 - 3.28.14
    EDD - 12.10.14

• Options

I had them really badly yesterday.  I ended up calling my doctor because I had 3 pretty back to back.  She told me to drink a bunch of water and then relax in a warm bath.  They stopped almost immediately.  Dehydration, full bladder, sex, and being more active can make them more frequent.  My ob said if you have 5 or more in one hour, more than 2 in ten minutes, or they increase in intensity you need to go in right away. 

my read shelf:
    Heidi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm really anxious for my a/s on Friday because I've been having tons of BH and just generally crampy. I know it's all "common" but it will put my mind at ease to know my cervix is holding up.
    M born 1/6/09 - A born 12/31/10 - baby BOY RCS 12/2/14 

image   image

• Options
    I actually asked my doctor about this yesterday. I've been having a couple the past couple days because I've been a little more active. She said call if I have 4 in an hour.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Do you ladies feel like you have muscle fatigue at the sides of your abdomen and get dizzy/light headed?
  • Options
    caden1206 said:
    The important part is to make sure they aren't making cervical changes. Mine leading up to my son were intense, but were definitely not full on labor. They were making changes to my cervix though. My daughter I had a cerclage in and had a bunch of scar tissue as a result around the string. Most of us with irritable uterus get monitored, so I dont think it would hurt to notify your physician. Like I said, I am.sure all is fine but I think you should call with that frequency and intensity.

I was diagnosed with an irritable uterus with my son and started having frequent BH around 32 weeks that were changing my cervix. Luckily it held on until I was 37 weeks. This time I have been noticing them since around 12 weeks but they are no where near as frequent so I am not worried. I am aware and expecting to have more than a typical pregnancy, though. Who knows...maybe I won't have a "irritable" ute this time. We'll see.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Options

Do you ladies feel like you have muscle fatigue at the sides of your abdomen and get dizzy/light headed?

I personally don't. I haven't had as many yet as I did with my first two. I anticipate they will start up more pretty soon, but I did not have fatigue or get lightheaded.
  • Options
    I have about 3-4 a day, they are more "real" than what I've experienced with my other pregnancies but I think that's just because this is my 3rd. With my daughter and son I had a few every single hour of every day. They became timeable at 33w+4d with my daughter and were accompanied by severe back pain but no dilation. They diagnosed me with an irritable uterus and she was born 1.5 weeks later after my water randomly broke one day. I had just as many with my son and he was full term. This pregnancy I've hardly had any in comparison!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"