Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

When did you move your toddler to a bed from a crib ?

My DS is 21 months old and I have just started thinking about moving him out of his crib.   We just set up a bed in our guest room, so now he keeps talking about the 'big bed' (which is also what he calls our bed).   Last night he wanted to lay down in the "big bed' which he's never wanted to do before.    We have a crib that will convert to a toddler bed by taking the sides off.   My concern is that he is a serious mover and shaker in bed.   He will cover the entire length of the crib and back several times while he's sleeping, so I worry about him falling out.   When did everyone else move their LOs from the crib ?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When did you move your toddler to a bed from a crib ?

• Options
    Ditto there being a few other posts like this fairly recently.

DD was 3.  DS will be 2 next month and is still in a crib.  DD went into a twin bed.  She loves her new big girl bed.  She has fallen out once.  She cried for like 1 minute and then fell back asleep.  Her bed is pretty low and she has carpet.  
  • Options
    We have a climber so we went to twin bed at 14 months. We have box spring and mattress on the floor. DS (19 months) can climb in and out but sleeps great in it. He only fell out the first 2 nights. I just lined the floor with couch cushions for the first week.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    we're aiming for at least 2 and half, or up to three to stay in the crib.  Unless they are climbing out of the crib and at risk of hurting themselves in the process, I say leave them in the crib as long as possible so you don't hav eto worry about them roaming the room or halls at night.

• Options
    DD was 28 mo when we converted her crib to a toddler bed.  She does get out sometimes, but we make sure she's gone potty and has what she needs, and remind her to stay in bed.  She's pretty good about it at night, naptime takes a little longer to settle down.  No HUGE issues with it.  She's almost 3 now and does fine.  DS is 20 mo and he's a totally different kid.  I don't know how old he will be when we make the transition, but he definitely still needs a crib.
  • Options
    We moved DD1 when she was 4 months shy of 3.  She never minded being in there and never tried to climb out.  We moved when she was around 27 months old so we didn't want to change her bed on top of that.  She was old enough to understand that she was now in a "big girl" bed and we have absolutely NO issues.  I am only hoping DD2 follows in her big sister's foot steps!
    <Lilypie First Birthday tickers> <Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers>
  • Options
    Thanks everyone !  My husband is pushing back - thinks we should keep him in the crib a while longer....He's positive he'll be wandering all over the house.   I've already told him we can just put up a baby gate in the hall so he can only get to our room or his.  Pretty sure he's worried about being woken up and losing sleep more than anything LOL.  We'll see.   I do like the idea of the mattress on the floor, so if we wait a while longer, I may just do that.   I was just doing the toddler because we already have it and won't cost us anything.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Me: 28, DH: 33
    Married 10.12.11
     BFP #1: 5.30.12- Giannna, born 1.27.13
    BFP #2: 9.18.14- due 6.1.15 -- natural m/c @ 5w6d 
    BFP #3 11.2.14- due 7.16.14 -- mmc, d&c @ 10w1d

Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image 

• Options
    My girls are almost 23 months and still in cribs. They haven't tried climbing out yet, so I will figure I will keep them in them a little longer. 
  • Options
    OMG not until they're about ready to climb out and hurt themselves :)  If you're worried about him falling out just get a bed rail.  It covers the majority of the side but leaves enough space for them to get in and out without having to climb over (and hurt themselves :) )
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    we're aiming for at least 2 and half, or up to three to stay in the crib.  Unless they are climbing out of the crib and at risk of hurting themselves in the process, I say leave them in the crib as long as possible so you don't hav eto worry about them roaming the room or halls at night.

This exactly.
  • Options
    DS is 21 months and we are likely going to put his bed back together as the toddler bed instead of the crib (we just moved). DS never liked his crib that much and has only ever stayed in it all night once. We took to exclusively co-sleeping in our bed about six months ago for all our sanity. So, we think he will transition to sleeping in his new room better in a toddler bed where I can be really close when he is falling asleep/wakes in the MOTN.
    Proud Doxie Mommy

TTC #1 since Sept. 2009 - DX unexplained IF March 2011 - "Surprise" BFP March 2012
    DS born via c-section 11/17/12
    TTC #2 (or, not TTA) Nov. 2013
    BFP #2 8/22/14, Missed M/C 6w2d, Discovered 7w4d/Official 8w6d, D&C 9/27/14
  • Options
    We moved my son at 15mo. He was still waking several times at night to nurse at that time, but we were switching to milk & did both together. He sleep SO much better in a bed! We had some issues switching to milk (he is casein-sensitive & has to drink almond milk) but his night-waking was eliminated after only a week! He sleeps better, longer & doesn't get upset now when he does wake b/c he can just get out of bed & play.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    stgn01stgn01 member
    edited August 2014
    Keep him in as long as possible!!  We switched DD to a toddler bed 3 months shy of 3 years old and then to a full size bed 5 months shy of 4 years old.  I'm keeping DD in his crib for as long as humanly possible!!  3 years for DS sounds good to me.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"