Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

XP: Help with night terrors?

Has anyone had experience with night terrors at this stage? My LO just turned 1 year old last week and has them occasionally. She has been having them more often this week. She has a cold, which our pediatrician prescribed Benadryl as needed for. We have been giving it at bedtime since Saturday to help dry up some of her congestion and help her sleep. Could this be the source of the night terrors? I am not going to give it to her tonight and see how she does. From what I’ve read about night terrors (unable to wake or be comforted, thrashing wildly, seemingly unaware that we’re there, etc.), that is what it seems to be rather than a nightmare.

She doesn’t sleep soundly no matter what we try and I know that contributes to it as well. I feel so sorry for her and they are terrifying to me as well. Any BTDT advice would be much appreciated!! Thank you ladies!

Re: XP: Help with night terrors?

• Options
    yes, with night terrors they seem confused and don't seem to respond to you/can't be comforted. DS was having them for a little while when he was around 1. you can try gently rousing your LO about 2 hours after she falls asleep (just lightly touch or shake a shoulder- don't totally wake her up, but just jostle her a little). this disrupts the sleep cycle and will usually prevent a night terror from happening later in the night. this worked for us with DS.

night terrors can be also be caused by fever, stress, or sleep deprivation, or can just be random. so hopefully it will pass as your LO starts to feel better.

• Options
    I have learned to just pick her up and hold her until it is over. If we try to wake her up or comfort her in any way it tends to last longer.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    Night terrors can be hereditary.  I had them as a child and DS now has them at 17 mos.  I have found that the only way to get him back to sleep is to hold him and talk quietly to him until he wakes slightly.  Then he calms down quickly and we can put him back to bed.  Unfortunately, there isn't too much you can do.  But your LO will eventually grow out of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"