February 2015 Moms
Options

Cats and pregnancy?

This has been so weird the last week or so, wondering if anyone has any information or has had similar experiences with their cats while pregnant...

We have 3 cats, all of which are over a year old, the oldest being 2.5. They've always been very affectionate and they love people, but the last week or so my Maine Coon mix and the younger kitten (both females) have been OBSESSIVELY sleeping above my head on my pillow at night. They'll normally sleep on the bed with hubby and I, but mostly by our feet or on his side. It's to the point I've had to move them NUMEROUS times because I can't move! They'll be so close to the top and side of my head that I have nowhere to go.

I guess the question here is, do cats (more specifically female cats) get more clingy when you're expecting? My male cat doesn't care much more for me now than he ever has, it's just the girls.

Re: Cats and pregnancy?

• Options
    Mine cat Lila does. When I was pregnant with DS she started to curl up around my belly at night, practically making me hold her like a baby. She's on me like white on rice. I like to think she wants to be close to the baby, but she hates DS. So I think they just like extra body heat. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

February 2014 Moms Siggy Challenge... Turkeys

BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    It depends on the cat/dog. I have four dogs and two of the boys and my old lady girl don't seem phased. My oldest boy (7) is stuck to my side every second of the day.
    MMC October 2010
    BFP #2 June 3, 2014
    Twins?  You mean two babies?  WOW!
    Team PURPLE!!
    We are excited to meet William Alexander and Harper Abigail in 2015!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't think this is at all a male/female thing. I think it has to do with the individual personality of the cat, how perceptive they are, and how close you are to the animal.

We have 1 female dog, 1 male dog, and 1 male cat. They are all my babies and are very attached to me and DH. The cat is my little buddy. They have all been even more affectionate since I have been pregnant. I am sure they can sense that hormones are different, but aside from that I think they can just tell I feel sort of lousy most days. In the past, when I have been sick, they act this exact same way. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    During my first pregnancy our male cat was very clingy, he also gave me love nibbles. He passed away but our others cats females seem distant this time around. But they are my husband and sons cats, they normally only pay me attention when there is no one else.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image image image
  • Options
    oh yes. I definitely think so. I can't sit anywhere in the house without him jumping onto my lap and snuggling up on me!
  • Options
    We have a female cat (lost her brother in April to cancer) and she has been acting differently since I've been pregnant. Same level of affection but she specifically rubs my abdomen now and she never did that before. Not sure if its related or not but its still cool. Our dog however (female) seems completely unaware that anything is different.  
    Who knows, but I think some animals sense that things are changing. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for the feedback, girls! Love hearing the animal stories, too. My girls were always super affectionate toward me anyway and could take or leave my hubby. Their extra clingy behavior lately has just had me wondering about the possible baby link.

You guys are great here :) new to this site and this was my first post, you guys rock and didn't disappoint!
  • Options
    Oh my gosh! My cat sleeps on my pillow too!!! I thought she was just crazy. When I go to bed- she's never around- but when I roll over or get up (to pee) she is aaalways at the top of my head on my pillow! I'm always having to push her off so I can go back to sleep. Crazy cat!
  • Options
    my male maine coon is constantly sleeping on my stomach and kneeding my stomach.  he's always been affectionate but the last 2 weeks it's been kinda to the point of obsessive.  My friend told me animals can hear the baby's heart beat (don't know if that's true).  My dog on the other hand....doesn't seem to notice a thing. lol.
  • Options
    My dog smells my stomach every time he walks passed me when I'm sitting on the couch! He started licking it the other day and I told him that was enough, not allowed to lick "the baby"! He has also been sitting on the love seat with me every night, he's 90 lbs. there is not room for him, but he insists!
    Also, my SD takes horse riding lessons and her horse, who usually rears her head up, has been leaning down and smelling my stomach too. So I definitely think there is some correlation between animals and babies in the womb!
  • Options
    Hi! I'm a M15 mom but I was lurking your board lol I have 2 cats, the male is a little older and not affectionate at all, the younger female is affectionate and likes me and my boyfriends attention. She started being super affectionate and clingy a little before I found out I was pregnant. I was also wondering if they can tell I'm pregnant. I googled it and saw a couple of things mentioned in PP like that they like warmer temps and they can sense hormones.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I recently got my kitten (about 8 weeks along). Do you think he senses it since he didn't know me before I was pregnant?
  • Options
    Hmmm. I have 3 dogs and 5 cats. All of them are very attached to me/momma's cats/dogs. My one dog has been with me through everything (she's 11now) and we have an incredible bond. She practically knows what I'm thinking. I have notice absolutely NO changes in anyone. None. Not a thing. I tend to not anthropomorphize animals though so I would be more cynical to stuff like this. I'm sure they smell changes, I mean ther noses have been shown to detect cancer cells and glucose changes. I'm not sure they have any idea what it really means though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"