High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Anyone on Lovenox AND baby aspirin for recurrent misscarriage?

Hello ladies.  I have had 4 misscarriages.  One live birth - my boy is 5 yrs old now!  I used Lovenox in that pregnancy and that was the only one that "stuck".   However, I had to discontinue at 8 weeks because of a hemorrhage.  It was touch and go and we thought we were going to lose him!   So, it's hard to tell whethr the Loenox helped or hurt.  Here I am in the 2 week wait after IVF.  My RE put me on Lovenox AND baby aspirin.  Thankfully, all my blood work shows there are NO clotting disorders.  That is a relief but also  makes me wonder if the protocol she has put me on is way too much anticoagulation for someone who has no real issues.  The RE is just wanting to cover all the basis, I guess but when I think of the hemorrhage I had on that pregnancy, it scares me.  At that time I was only on Lovenox, no baby aspririn.  So, now, TWO meds?!   I'm wondering how common it is for women to be on this protocol as an empirical therapy, with no diagnosed issues, other than unknown reason for recurrent miscarriage.  I guess if this is common, I will feel better and be able to focus less on the risks.  Anyone remotely in this position, please chime in and share your experience!  

Re: Anyone on Lovenox AND baby aspirin for recurrent misscarriage?

• Options
    luvbostonluvboston member
    edited August 2014
    I am on both after six miscarriages however I have acquired antiphospholipid antibodies during pregnancy which you could have as well. The first 12 weeks are crucial for being on blood thinners. I work with the Beer center in California and they are the only reason I have my daughter and am pg again. They are reproductive immunologists

It's very common for ppl that miscarry to be on this protocol. And it can't hurt you.
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• Options

I had 5 miscarriages before my RE recommended this protocol and my last pregnancy was the only one that stuck!! I am pregnant again and on the same meds and I wouldn't change it at all!!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
    missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
    3 failed femara iui cycles-
    moving on to IVF oct 2011
    ER nov. 7th
    tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
    lots of +hpt!!
    beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
    beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
    another miscarriage 12/23
    moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
    ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
    ET 4/28 3 transfered
    Beta #1- 356
    Beta #2- 870

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm definitely not on both.  Just Fragmin.

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• Options
    I'm on both-so far so good :)
    Our Novel of TTC:

*Male Factor (low count and low motility), High Prolactin, and Polycystic Ovaries (March 2013)
    *Recurrent Miscarriage testing also revealed high anti-phospholipids & single MTHFR mutation. (Feb 2014) 

*IVF (07/2013): BFP-Natural Miscarriage @ 5 weeks* <3 Madison Riley <3
    *FET #1 (10/2013): BFN
    *FET #2 (12/2013)- BFP-Missed Miscarriage at 8 weeks <3 Kyle Andrew <3
    *Chromosomes and Karotyping tests were both normal.We lost a healthy baby boy :(
    *FET #3 (04/2014) was cancelled after finding Chronic Endometritis
    *Miraculous BFP July 2014!! (I was taking baby aspirin and Cabergoline to stay regulated while "taking a break from TTC" and waiting to consult with a reproductive immunologist!!!) 

Our healthy baby girl was born 03/10/15 thanks to daily Lovenox injections and baby aspirin. There are no words for how grateful I am for our rainbow baby. <3
  • Options
    This was my third IVF attempt, first time using lovenox and baby aspirin (and Claritin) and my first pregnancy! It is still very early (6weeks) so cautiously optimistic. I dont have any known clotting issues, I think at this point my RE was trying whatever she could since my infertility is still considered "of unspecified origin". Good luck!!!
  • Options
    After 2 m/c and elevated clotting factors, I was put on lovenox at 7 weeks. I'm on baby aspirin for life. My OB also added progesterone just to throw everything possible at me. I hit 18 weeks today!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What dose are you using?  I have used Lovenox (40mg twice a day) and baby aspirin without issues in four pregnancies.  Mine is more to prevent a clot though as I had a DVT after my second child.  There's a big difference between using a prophylactic dose like say, 40, 60 or 80 a day and using a therapeutic dose of say 200 a day.

I also took dexamethasone and received IV intralipids to help prevent miscarriage.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    Lovenox can be out of your system fast enough and you can be medicated to counter it for labor, but aspirin is tricky. If your OB believes that it will help, then the benefits outweigh the risks in their professional opinion (but it never hurts to be that annoying patient that asks too many questions about it! I was that patient when I first was diagnosed with APS- Lupus Anticoagulant, and SLE several years ago, and that's how I found out that rather than adjusting my diet for the meds, that they should adjust the meds to my usual diet! (I was sooooo happy to keep spinach in my life because of that!! I wasn't pregnant at that point though, and that was a warfarin deal... bad stuff. I chose an extra year of shots postpartum over it, until I was on the max timeline for the nox'
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I am on Lovenox after having 2 miscarriages. But I have also been diagnosed with Hypocoaguable state and antiphospholipid syndrome.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"