3rd Trimester
Options

My baby measures 2 weeks ahead, what does that mean?

I had an anatomy ultrasound at 31 weeks.  His legs measured at 31, but his head measured at 34.  He measured ahead at the 20 week as well.  Will he come early or is he going to be very large?  His weight is in the 33 week range.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    I've been measuring at least 2-3w ahead since 20w. I'm 36+3 and she's still in there. I was also told the u/s can be off +\- 2lb and the belly measurements are inaccurate as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been measuring a week ahead on ultrasounds since 22w. They can be off by a few pounds, as well. And my fundal height measured 34w at 29+5, and this week I'm 34 measuring 36. It's not accurate.

I have gestational diabetes and was told this might be a factor as to why my baby is measuring ahead. Have you had a glucose challenge?
    ----

• Options
    I tested with a monitor instead of the juice and I was borderline. That's why I'm nervous he's going to end up being a 9 pound baby.   I can't talk to someone in my ob office until my next appointment and I don't see the same ob =/ military healthcare
  • Options
    My son's head measured 4 weeks ahead throughout most of my pregnancy. He was born absolutely perfect and smaller than most.
  • Options
    This is my second pregnancy and he is measuring at least one week large... but my first was 9 lbs, 5oz (with no gestational diabetes - just a big boy).  Measuring large isn't necessarily an indicator of an early delivery - you may end up with another ultrasound to check his size and position in a couple weeks and just listen to the advice of your medical team (I use midwives). 
  • Options
    udenbyjjudenbyjj member
    edited August 2014
    My first son measured 2 weeks head from 6+ months on to delivery. He only came early (born at 39 weeks) because I had pre eclampsia and had to be induced. He would have been a large baby (9 to 10lbs) if he had been born on his due date or after. He was 8lbs7oz. 
    Not sure about this pregnancy, they aren't telling me anymore as there are other medical issues that need to be addressed. 
  • Options

It doesn't at all mean he'll come early.  Is your DH tall or were either of you larger babies?  It likely means he's a larger baby.  The only scan accurate at determining if the dates are off by growth is they do an early scan at about 6 weeks.  The subsequent ones measure growth percentiles.  I'm AMA and had many with DS (and this one).  DS was 9lbs, 21.5 inches.  At 6 weeks, his growth was accurate to his 5/17 EDC based on LMP.  Every scan after that he was ahead, either 80th, 90th percentiles or "off the charts."  At the time, the center I had my scans would list a date that would have been c/w his growth if he was 50th percentile - at one point it was 5/7. 

He was born at 40 weeks 6 days anyways, but was larger (and taller).  I had no issues with delivery.  DH was a large baby and is 6'4 - this accounted for a larger baby, no GD.  I'm having another boy, he's measuring in the 70th percentile for weight at 28 weeks so probably another larger baby for me this time as well.  They grow differently, some smaller or larger than 50th percentile, but it doesn't mean they'll come earlier or later. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"