December 2014 Moms

Had anyone colored their hair while pregnant?

I desperately need to color my hair but the women in my family said it wasn't safe for the baby. I read that it is safe but now I'm paranoid. Have any of you colored your hair while pregnant?

Re: Had anyone colored their hair while pregnant?

• Yes, twice actually
  • edited August 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • I just dyed my hair a couple weeks ago. It's fine. 
  • Had it done twice since I found out. Haven't heard poorly otherwise. The only bad things I read were coloring in the first trimester, but I still couldn't find anything concrete and got no warnings from my doctor.
  • I had mine dyed a week before my wedding in July, totally safe. I think the concern is more the overwhelming smell can make some women woozy especially in the first tri

Married 07.12.14
    Hannah 12.09.14
    Baby #2 Due 06.18.16
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I color and say go for it :-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes I have, a few times actually. I posted a while ago that I destroyed my hair attempting to go from plum black to red and after that fiasco I've had to dye it twice to try and return it to normal people colors.

D14 November Siggy Challenge: The feels of 3rd trimester...

imageimageimage

• Yep, and I have an appointment coming up soon to re-color. I will admit I didn't do it in 1st tri, but it was only like 2 weeks longer than usual so not too big of a deal. 

Nathaniel Richard born 12/20/14
    Dating 7/2/2004 * Married 8/16/2008
  • I did it once with a 100% vegetable based dye. I may do it once more before baby comes
  • Yup, highlights and color.
  • I dyed my hair last week. I think it's not recommended in the first trimester, but after that it's fine as long as you don't do it in a small unventilated area.
    Me: 32, DH:33, Married: 8/30/2008, TTC since: 10/1/2012
    DX: Me - DOR & tubal issues, DH: none. 
    June 2004: Ectopic pregnancy with DH while dating
    October & November 2013: IUI #1 & 2 - BFN
    December 2013:Taking a break, trying on our own.
    January 2014: BFP!!!! Ectopic pregnancy ruptured at 6wks1day. Left Fallopian tube removed. Noted during surgery the right Fallopian tube is severely damaged from 2004 ectopic pregnancy.
    April 8 2014: IVF#1 w/ISCI: 10 received, 5 mature, 3 fertilized. Day 3 transfer of all three embies.
    April 22, 2014: BFP! beta #1: 80 beta #2: 211 One nugget! 
    January 6, 2015: Adeline Marguerite is here!!

image image

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I asked my doc and she said it was fine. I've read not to do it in the first trimester to be safe but that it's okay after that.
  • Yes, highlights at 10 weeks... And I have another appointment in two weeks.. I'll be 24 weeks then.

You need to feel good about yourself ! Gaining weight is hard enough, you shouldn't have to suffer with boring hair aswell!
  • My hairdresser wouldn't do it during my first trimester and was very leery about doing it at all to the scalp. She said she would do foils if I wanted. I wound up using henna myself at home and it was great.

My hairdresser is a breast cancer survivor and has traced a lot of her problems back to when she worked for a major hair color maker (a lot of the people working at the same time as her developed bladder or breast cancer), so I completely understand her trepidation and wanting me and baby to be safe. Again, she was around it on a daily basis and getting my hair colored once or twice during the pregnancy wouldn't expose me nearly as much, but I was happy being safer than sorry.

Plus, the henna was messy and a bit time consuming, but I loved the color and probably won't go back to commercial dyes anyway. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years
    BFP3 - 3/31/14, Harmony Test 6/5/14 - It's a BOY!

• I waited until second tri and have dyed it once. I'll probably do it one or two more times by the end of the pregnancy.
    December '16 BMB

Baby #1                                                            

~BFP 03/22/14 EDD 12/05/14~                       
    ~Baby Z born 11/28/14~

Baby #2
    ~04/19/16 EDD 12/26/16~
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSaveSaveSave
  • I am a hairstylist who does tons of color, everybody will be ok!!!! If you aren't comfortable with something by all means don't do it. I'm around it and touching it constantly, as have stylists for a looong time
  • kaytastic25kaytastic25 member
    edited August 2014
    Havent dyed my hair or painted my nails. Im too paranoid also. I know theres safer products to use than others but havent invested in any. My grow out isnt too bad and working in healthcare I wash my hands too much to keep up with manicures. :) but if my grow out was terrible im sure I would dye it. :)
    Edit:hit post too soon
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My dr also recommends until waiting after the first trimester to be safe.  I did it a couple of times with my first two pregnancies, but I'm skipping it with this one, mainly because I'm lazy and I haven't seen my natural hair color in a long time so I'm curious to see how that will look for a change.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I relaxed my hair around 10 weeks. A few weeks ago ombre'd/Manic Panic'd my hair, but a month before that I henna'd it with BAQ henna.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• I don't color during the first tri and I try to let it go as long as possible during the rest of pregnancy. I am terrible at coloring my own hair and can't afford the "All Natural" salons in the area so I just try to deal with roots unless I have a major event to attend. I know it isn't going to do major damage to my child but I also know that your body does absorb some of the chemicals which may or may not be transferred to the baby. I guess I try to avoid unnecessary exposure just in case.

I do paint my nails if I am attending an event but I won't do acrylics or gels or anything else that requires extra chemicals to seal or remove.
  • I've colored it twice with permanent color-my OB said it's completely safe to do so.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I did at 6 weeks (twice that week actually, because the first girl screwed it up!!), and will be going again this week (22 weeks) and hopefully again in late November before baby comes!
    BFP #1 - 2/1/09-mc 2/5/09 @4wks
    BFP #2 - 6/24/09-mc 7/25/09 @8wks
    6/09 Dx w/PCOS--Metformin & Progesterone
    8/09 Dx w/Compound Hetero MTHFR--Neevo, Metanx & BA
    BFP #3 - 1/11/10 - DD1 born 9/16/10 @39w4d, 8lbs 14oz & 20in.
    Heparin from BFP to 34wks.
    BFP #4 - 10/4/11 - DD2 born 6/2/12 @38w1d, 8lbs 11oz & 21in.
    Same med protocol as last time, but heparin continued until delivery.
    BFP #5 - 3/30/14, EDC 12/10/14!!

Beta #1-76 (12dpo), Beta #2-238 (14dpo)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Dying your hair while pregnant is perfectly safe. There is very little scientific studies out there prove it could be harmful. Some say that it's the bleach if it makes contact with your skin it could then be taken in and flow through your bloodstream. If you feel too paranoid I wouldn't dye your roots too close to your scalp but honestly I've seen tons of pregnant women do it so it's all up to you. Nobody should be allowed to tell you what to do and control your life. If this is your first baby then you have to put your foot down at some point and let that person know. Everyone hates that one person that tries to micromanage everything ::caugh my MIL:: "don't do this, this is bad blah blah" I get she's trying to help but it's pretty annoying.
  • People will tell you alot of things.  Do your research, seriously.  March of Dimes has excellent resources.  

Initially - maybe 15 years ago - there was  suggestion that neuroblastoma in babies was linked back to a common thread of pregnant women who dyed their hair.  At least 10 years ago, studies reported that there is no scientific evidence that hair dye has any negative impact on a developing fetus.  The concern is with chemicals being in contact with your skin long term.  In hair dye, it's not long term.  Basically, wear gloves (or go to a salon) and don't leave it on longer than necessary or recommended.  https://newsmomsneed.marchofdimes.com/?tag=hair-dye  <-- March of Dimes article. That said, I opted to go for highlights because they are on the hair for a shorter period of time and don't actually touch the scalp. 

Nail polish is fine... unless you're drinking it.  I don't recommend that.  

If we start jumping on the crazy train, my MIL told me that if I'm craving a food, I have to have it.  Otherwise, the baby will get a birthmark in the shape of that food on its face.  Unless you touch your butt.  Then the birthmark will be on his/her butt. 
  • Every 8 weeks, including when I was in 1st tri. I've colored it with all three pregnancies.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I stopped dying it when I found out I was pregnant but my dyed color was so close to my natural color (I just did it to cover up grays) so it doesn't look that different now. I think I'm just going to go natural for a while since I'm basically back to my roots now lol
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

• My OB said after the first tri as long as I was in a well ventilated salon. I still haven't, and with my magic growing hair my roots are pretty intense. I plan on going soon. Nail Polish was considered a no no bc of the smell and the formaldehyde. But now there are so many without it that you should be fine.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've colored 3 times.  Once during 1st tri, once right at the beginning of 2nd tri, and once since then.  I just use drugstore boxes and have stubborn grays, so I normally need to do it about every 4 weeks.

My doctor was completely fine and comfortable with it, but I did use an ammonia-free box the first 2 times.
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• I colored (full set of highlights) my hair the day after I found out I was KU this time around, I've done it once more since, and will a third time next week. I continued to keep it colored when I was pregnant with DD as well. You're fine.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

• aeonlux said:
    I relaxed my hair around 10 weeks. A few weeks ago ombre'd/Manic Panic'd my hair, but a month before that I henna'd it with BAQ henna.
    Manic Panic!!!!! I didn't even know that still existed.  I haven't seen it since I was in 10th grade and had pink highlights.  
  • I have blonde streaks in my hair well more like half of my head now it looks horrible like this but I refuse to color because my hair is so dark and it's basically like bleaching it to get those blondes streaks! To worried about what could happen and my dr told me I shouldn't do it! I'll just hope that pony tail hides the horribleness that is my half head of streaks :)
    It's not "like" bleaching.  It IS bleaching.  That's the way you lighten your hair.  Again: Highlights don't touch your scalp.  You'll be fine.  
  • I've dyed my hair a couple of times too.  Did it during my last pregnancy too and no problems.  Unless hair dye contributed to my son's first-year egg allergy.  Could it have been the hair dye???  (lol, j/k)

Started TTC "2.0": 6/13, First round of Clomid: 3/14, BFP: 4/14, EDD: 12/23/14, C-Section: 12/18/14
    Nathan and Nicholas are going to have so much fun together!

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"