October 2014 Moms

What clothing to buy for week 1

edited August 2014 in October 2014 Moms
Hey all,
I'm confused about what baby wears their first week or two. I've heard that until the chord heals, they need to wear side snap shirts. But does that mean no onesies? Do they wear pants with the shirts? What have you done with your past kids or are planning to do?

Re: What clothing to buy for week 1

• I have put my newborns mostly in onsies, sleep and plays, a sleepin gowns. You just want to make sure to keep the cord clean and dry and wouldn't want clothing rrubbing right on it. Pants are okay, just make sure they are below the navel.

DD - 4/9/08      DS1 - 7/26/12     DS2 - 10/7/14

• Sleep and plays for the days and gowns under the swaddle for night to make middle of the night diaper changes easier. I had a November and a December baby and we don't do the extra onesie underneath since we keep it nice and toasty (72°) in the house and none of my kids have ever been too cold (I also had a May baby but that seems less relevant ;) )
    Me - J.R. - 05/1986
    DH - J.I. - 08/1986
    Married - 09/22/2006
    DD#1 - A.E. - 12/15/2009
    DD#2 - N.R. - 11/07/2011
    DD#3 - S.R. - 05/20/2013
      DS - R.E. - 10/03/2014

Absolutely in love with our 'big' family!

I'm also a proud Auntie to a crazy little girl, her brand new baby sister, a little man on his way in the next month, and a sweet little mister we will miss forever!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Side snap shirts and a diaper, onesies , and sleeper gowns are the best. You are going to be changing a diaper every 2-3 hours so it's much easier
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP - 2/5/14
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My son was born in May on an extremely hot summer and was in the hospital for 11 days and his cord didn't come off until I was hone with him a few days but he lived in a onsie or just a diaper. And ajust a onsie in the hospital and a blanket obviously.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • LO lived in gowns until he was almost 3 months, it made things so much easier. 
  • My son wore sleepers for his first 3 months. You always want to put a onsie underneath the sleeper until they lose their cord stump. You don't want the buttons or zipper to irritate it. The gowns are very convenient especially for all the diaper changes!
  • jalara48 said:

Is it me or is Gerber stuff really small?

I agree, Gerber runs small.

• jalara48 said:
    Yes - gerber runs small, but it works if you have small babies!  I found that the white carter's onsies run on the big side - they seemed to fit forever.  They also make side snap t-shirts (I think I've seen them at target, but have definitely found them at one of the carter's stores).  I had both, but preferred onsies - they seemed to help prevent blowouts a little better (or at least absorbed some of the mess!)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • jalara48 said:

Never go by the size with Gerber... always go by the weight on the package or tag.
  • DD wore sleepers and shirts. The less stuff to remove for the 10-15 diaper changes/day, the better. Her cord didn't fall off until the ped pulled it off at her 2 week appt. I hated that thing, it skeeved me out!
  • I have a variety of things including the side snaps.
  • DD is a June baby so she was usually in just a diaper when we were at home and then regular onesies.

Also, I dont know if this is in every hospital but at ours they put DD into a little kimono type gown that tied up on the side. We shouldve taken ours home because it was perfect. I think we'll do that this time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Gowns, gowns, gowns. That is all DS wore the first couple of weeks.
  • Gowns, gowns, gowns. That is all DS wore the first couple of weeks.
    Yep - gowns are easy and awesome to use initially. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• I put my kids in normal clothes. I was raised that you get dressed during the day and don't spend the day in pajamas, so this is probably why my kids are always fully dressed. I am taking onesies and pants for the days and gown sleepers for the night while in the hospital (4 days for us) and then basically the same but any sleepers after we are home. Our hospital puts an alarm on baby's ankle while there, so gowns work best with that. They are also super easy for diaper changes. I can't stand the side snap shirts for some reason so I don't use those.
  • Our first was born in January and we had a very cold winter. While her cord was still on we put her in a sleep and play with a onesie underneath. I did pants after the cord fell off. Hers fell off after a few days, so I didn't have to worry about it much. I think it fell off maybe the 2nd or 3rd day we were home. I actually called my mom because I was surprised it came off so fast.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Okay - I'm going to be an ignorant 1st time mom. I have mostly onesies and some side snap shirts. I think I have two gowns. What are sleep and plays?

And if you do a snap up or zip up onesie (with or without feet) how do you keep the cord from not being rubbed by the material of the onesie? Do you put the side snap shirts on with pants in place of the onesie?

I'm so confused by the cord stuff. And when you guys are saying onesies - do you mean just the tee-shirt variety but any onesie with feet,etc..? We're in a climate where October can vary and want to make sure baby isn't too cold. Also thinking about the take home from hospital outfit and whether that is okay to be a onesie or should be a side snap shirt and pants?

Lilypie - (urRB)

• @atraveller‌ I have all the same questions! Thanks for asking. :)
  • hgielrebmikhgielrebmik member
    edited August 2014
     @atraveller @Weinbergboo

A onsie is basically a shirt that snaps at the crotch.   Sleep and plays are one piece outfits that have legs and usually cover the feet as well.

Onsieimage  sleep and plays  

• hgielrebmik - thank you - and here I thought the sleep and plays are onesies :).  Now I know. So.....the question then becomes - how do I have them in a onesie or a sleep and play  (I have many of both) without them rubbing the cord which would be inside the clothing? Is it better to do a side snap shirt beneath the sleep and play?

Lilypie - (urRB)

• Filing this away since I'm scared to buy newborn clothes because hardly anyone in my family fit into newborn clothes when they were born...

Married since *7/13/2012* to my soulmate!

Surprise! BFP 3/7/2013, Missed MC, D&C @ 7w5d
    BFP 12/10/2013, Natural MC @ 5w1d

BFP 2/15/2014...Katia Elizabeth is due 10/23/2014!
     BabyFruit Ticker
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • hgielrebmik - thank you - and here I thought the sleep and plays are onesies :).  Now I know. So.....the question then becomes - how do I have them in a onesie or a sleep and play  (I have many of both) without them rubbing the cord which would be inside the clothing? Is it better to do a side snap shirt beneath the sleep and play?

You just want to make sure it isn't tight on the navel. I've used both onsies and sleep n plays on my kids as newborns without problem. I usually put them in 0-3 month onsies instead of NB bc onsies tend to fit tighter. The cord doesn't have nerves, so you don't have to worry about it hurting baby so much, just that the cord is kept clean and dry.

• How is it possible I've never heard of a side snap shirt?
    I thought they were hard to find so we only had a few, but they were super nice.  I had a side snap long sleeved onesie gifted to me and I loved it.  I've seen both listed as kimono style so try searching for that as well as side snap. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Also. Sleep and plays are called sleepers too. At least thats what I know them to be called.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"