December 2012 Moms

Vent: Don't touch my bump

I just want to vent... I'm not a big fan of people invading my personal space.  Like, I'll hug close family & friends and DH is the exception to the rule, but otherwise, it's a no-go.

So, a few weeks ago, my sister wanted to come visit to see DD1 and to "rub my orb."  I told her she was welcome to visit, but not to come rub my belly.  She was a bit offended and insisted that everyone else is alright with her doing it, but dropped it.  Well, I'll see her in another context on Sunday, and she was like "Looking forward to seeing you, even with all your negativity issues."  So, I wrote back asking why she thought touching someone who doesn't like it is okay, her answer was because she's my sister.  Um, no.  Then she gets all upset and was like "Well, you'd let (bff's name) do it, wouldn't you?  I should have more rights than her as your actual sister."  (Mind you, my bff is more like a sister to me.)  I wrote back, "No, I didn't touch hers and she hasn't touched mine through two pregnancies."  That finally shut her up, but not before she got another jab in about it.  Seriously, why the eff do people think that that's okay, and how is it anyone's "right" to touch me? 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

Re: Vent: Don't touch my bump

• That stinks that she seemed to feel entitled to invade your space. It is so strange that at a time when women are undergoing major changes to their bodies people think it's appropriate to touch and ask personal questions. And you got a guilt trip to top it off! Hope she gets the hint and leaves you alone about it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I know how you feel! DH has this one friend who I can't stand. He doesn't live here anymore, thank God, but was visiting last week. I didn't even give the guy a hug hello, but he thought it was ok to grab my belly and start rubbing. I was about ready to throat punch him. Mind you, my disdain for this guy probably amplified those feelings quite a bit, but still. Why do people think that's ok? I don't get it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I kind of wish someone wanted to touch my belly. Not a stranger or someone I don't like, but I'd like it if family members wanted to feel the baby in there. It's still amazing to feel the baby move and I would like other people to feel it too. Nobody has ever asked or touched without asking.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• j3nnyb said:
    JessAnnJ said:
    I kind of wish someone wanted to touch my belly. Not a stranger or someone I don't like, but I'd like it if family members wanted to feel the baby in there. It's still amazing to feel the baby move and I would like other people to feel it too. Nobody has ever asked or touched without asking.
    I felt the same way until a few weeks ago when my MIL sat down beside me on the couch, rubbed my belly and said "look at that big belly!"...  I felt like I had a big, fat Buddha belly and she was rubbing it for good luck. 
    OMG that was my MIL when I was pregnant w/ the twins. I'm pretty easy-going about this sort of thing, but she was obsessed.....quite annoying.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"