October 2012 Moms
Options

How much do you spend on clothes for your LO?

pb_bridepb_bride member
edited August 2014 in October 2012 Moms
I've been very lucky as I got tons of hand-me-downs from friends with clothes from 0-2T for DS, so I barely had to buy anything for him, except for things like socks, shoes, and winter jackets/snow suits (we live in NE; friends lived in FL/CA).  As a result, I have no idea of how much $ I have saved over the past 2 years!

How much would you say you spend on clothes for your LO, per season?  Where do you shop mostly?  Also, where do you live - do you have 4 seasons or 80F year-round?

DS's hand-me-downs will be all done by end of summer, so I'm looking at buying him the whole wardrobe for fall/winter/spring.  Planning to get via CL for about $100 - which will give me approx:
8 long-sleeve tops
pants
4 sweatshirts
4 sweaters
2 PJ sets
1 fleece jacket
2 fall/winter jackets
1 2-piece snow suit
(mostly BabyGap, Carter's, LL Bean etc)
TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How much do you spend on clothes for your LO?

• Options
    I bought 95% of her summer wardrobe at OUAC for $75. I got 8 shorts, 15 shirts, 2 hats and name brand shoes. I have bought some odd shirts or shorts here amd there, but only on sale. I try not to spend more than $5 for a shirt or $10 on a full outfit. I have probably spent $150 for summer clothes.

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Oct Angel Babies
  • Options
    I get everything handed down from my nephew for my boys, but my mom also buys them new things here and there since they have a Carters store nearby and we don't. I try to reimburse her but she doesn't let me.

I really only buy them shoes. I do buy a couple Old Navy or Target things once in a while if I see things I like while we're there. So I have absolutely no idea how much I spend for them on clothes/accessories, but it's marginal.
    Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also love shopping Carters and get a few cute things from the carters for you from Target. We have all four seasons here and sometimes we can have all four seasons in one day so for his wardrobe I probably spend about $200 for each season/size. I do use the coupons and purchase stuff on sale so that has helped.

• Options
    I should be embarrassed. I don't even know. C gets tons of hand me downs from her cousin, plus my mom loves to buy stuff. Really, all I HAVE to buy is a few things for A that I can't recycle C's stuff for because it's the wrong season. Yet, I literally buy done form of little girl clothing almost every time I walk into target. I also like old navy for the sales, and consignment shops.
  • Options
    Too much!  Probably about $200 a season, we shop mostly ON and Children's Place.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I just spent $5 on a used pair of snowpants from Craiglist.  I'm way more excited about this than I should be.

I don't buy anything unless it's on sale. Which is why my kid has exactly zero Frozen articles of clothing except for 2 pairs of Elsa socks from the $1 bin at Target.  I am NOT paying $12 for a shirt she will outgrow in a month.

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Oct Angel Babies
  • Options
    We shop at Carter's, target, and Costco/sams Carter's stuff. We also have 4 seasons and we probably spend $100-$150 ish? I'm not sure and should probably be better at it. She does have more than she probably NEEDS but sometimes I can't help myself. I do love (while on the subject) at the beginning of a new season someone will comment "are you in another new outfit?" And then says something about her being spoiled...she grows...and constantly needs new clothes so yes it is new...
  • Options
    I probably spend $50 to $100 a season. We have all four seasons. I get a lot of clothing from my mom. She shops at Carters and Osh Kosh monthly (Elijah is an only grandchild) and always has new clothes for him. I shop at Carters and Target. I get all his shoes at Target because he destroys them. I've had to buy him both sneakers and sandals twice this summer.
  • Options
    Probably $400 each a year in crazy varied weather of Iowa... I just got tons from SIL from my nephews and nieces so in trying not to buy until I notice we need something- I just bought ds sneakers- he's in youth sizes now- yikes $$$ I hope he doesn't outgrown them immediately! Dd should be mostly set except shoes too and hopwfully the rest can wait until bday!

From our WDW vacation- June 3, 2014

DS- Wesley- March 14, 2010
    DD- Norah- September 27, 2012

• Options
    oh yeah and I shop the gamut from OUAC and ebay to J&J. I LOVE IT ALL
    DD 9/15/12
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    $1,000 last year. I'm not frugal in this department. I shop Target, ON, Zulily and pretty well anywhere!

• Options
    Im part of a FB group called Frugal Mommy. It's separated by region (I live in ontario canada) and everything offered has to be free! Basically a mom will post an 'offer' and if there is enough interest then the poster will choose a winner at her discretion. You can also post ISO's (in search of) and the feed back can be overwhelming from those who want to help. I just scored a recycling bag full of 2t fall clothing for Ellaboo :) I might just get away with buying her socks and hoodies, I bought her Sorel winter boots last year that were on clearance for $8!!! I'm a total frugal mom lol
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    wesleycrusherwesleycrusher member
    edited August 2014
    yeah maybe like $50 for summer, including shoes.  Hand-me downs, gifts, clearances and the thrift store- we have an awesome thrift store nearby (perks of city living- lots of good ones).  DD is obsessed with Minnie/Mickey, so when we go to thrift store I always look specifically for them even when she doesn't need clothes and will buy them in bigger sizes. 

@rvasc your mom is just like me. I buy ahead, I already have a closet full of winter PJs that I got last year, Halloween and Christmas outfits from last year, then I just went to the OUAC spring/summer clearance and got 3T outfits for next summer.

ETA: We have 4 seasons, but I really buy for winter/summer and mix and match for spring/fall, so it's really only 2 seasons to buy.
  • Options
    Tag sales are where it's at. I got DS clothes NB-3T for $100.... I am still kind of on a high about it. 
    DD 11/1/12
    DS 7/16/14
    DD Free from FPIES triggers as of 18 months! 
    Sweet potato, avocado, banana, mango, oats, wheat & rice outgrown.
    Dairy, soy, and peanut allergies outgrown! Allergic to eggs.
    DS MSPI, egg allergy
  • Options
    I shop consignment. We have three girls, so most of the clothes are past down. The older two are in Catholic school, so the uniforms cost a fortune. We even buy those used. I just need to buy them shoes now, but stride rite shoes are going for $40 a pair, so it looks like we are going to be spending $80/ girl just for sneakers and shoes :( Since they wear uniforms 5 days a week, we don't need much in the way of play clothes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"