Natural Birth

Delayed cord clamping

Did any momma's out there request this and did baby end up with jaundice? I'm going over points in my birth plan and read an article that it's a SLIGHT risk and it's a very minimal case of jaundice.

Re: Delayed cord clamping

• deuxdeux member
    I had a friend who had a home birth, delayed clamping, and her son had jaundice, but I have no idea whether they're related. It didn't need to be treated with anything other than good ol' sunshine.
  • We delayed and had pretty much no jaundice at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We delayed for a few minutes, but my cord was too short for my son to reach my chest so I opted to cut it sooner than planned.  He did get a bit of jaundice, but nothing bad.  Like PP said, a little sunlight and breastmilk took care of it.  And also I think his jaundice was caused by our initial struggles with breastfeeding, not delaying the cord cutting.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• We did delayed cord clamping both times and didn't have a problem with jaundice.  They were particularly worried that DS would have high levels because of all the bruising he had, but it never became a problem.  I EBF both times.
  • We did delayed cord clamping and ended up with jaundice.  It is a risk but I don't know how much higher it is.
  • Just read the studies. The increased risk of jaundice is not huge, and jaundice is very rarely dangerous. I was born in the late 80s and my dad cut the cord immediately after the birth. I had an awful case of jaundice, I looked tanned. Anecdotal, but my point being that babies can get jaundice regardless of the cord. Keeping the cord in tact longer gives the baby more stem cells, oxygenated blood, etc. So I personally feel fine with the increased risk of jaundice knowing that I had a really bad case myself but it cleared naturally in a week or so. But it is your risk to decide on. Just read up on it and talk to your partner, no one here can decide for you. :) 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Research connecting delayed cord clamping to jaundice is inconclusive at best.

What we do know is that when the cord is cut too soon, 1/3 of the baby's blood supply is left behind. Mild jaundice is, well, mild in comparison. (My opinion, nothing more).

imageimage
  • We did not have delayed cord clamping with DS, he was jaundiced.  We did have delayed cord clamping with DD, she was not jaundiced.  Ancetdotal, but delayed cord clamping certainly doesn't guarantee jaundice and immediate cord clamping doesn't prevent it in all circumstances.

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• I delayed cord clamping with both my sons. 

My first son was jaundiced pretty significantly. It cleared on its own with sunshine and breastfeeding.

My second son wasn't jaundiced at all. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• My DS1 had slight jaundice but no delayed cord clamping, my DS2 had no delayed cord clamping and no jaundice, my DS3 did have the delayed cord clamping and got jaundice enough he had to be monitored under the lights all night.  We cleared it up before we went home with the lights and breastfeeding. 

I don't know if there is a direct correlation but the jaundice never caused him any issues.

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Research indicates that it is certainly beneficial to the baby (esp. in terms of anemia). There is a higher incidence of neonatal jaundice--but jaundice in itself is usually benign. A little sunlight, and plenty of breastmilk, and it clears on it's own (usually). 
    Personally, we've done delayed clamping with both kiddos. Both had very mild jaundice that resolved within the first week.

source:
    this.  My daughter was born at home, we delayed clamping and she did wind up with a mild case of jaundice.  My midwife recommend natural, filtered sunlight each day and lots of nursing.  It cleared up on its own within a week and a half.  The benefits of delayed clamping far outweigh the risk of jaundice, IMO.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We did delayed cord clamping with DD1 (DD2's cord was extremely short and had to be cut emergently).  I did a lot of research and the slight risk of increased jaundice is var outweighed by the benefits of delayed cord clamping, but I encourage you to do the research.  If you plan to BF, it's important to understand that a lot of BF babies have jaundice since bilirubin peaks at 72 hours, around the same time most mom's milk comes in.  
  • Many many babies get jaundice. It's just what happens. Late clamp or not, it happens. Benefits outweigh risks here big time.
  • I delayed with my last child.  No jaundice.
    Me 41  DH 33  Married 09/03/2011
    DD1  EDD 08/18/01, born 08/03/2001 ~ 9lbs 10oz, 21.5 in
    DS1  EDD 4/30/2004, born 05/04/2004 ~ 10lbs, 22 in
    mc 02/14/12 @ 5 weeks
    DD2  EDD 12/25/12, born 12/30/12 ~ 10lbs 11oz, 21.25 in
    mc 12/05/15 @ 12 weeks
    Cautiously expecting 12/02/16

• I found this video on a local doula's page. I don't know anything about Penny Simkin and her credentials personally, but that would be worth looking into. I did find this video to be informative or at the least a great demonstration. I am a FTM and will be discussing delayed cord clamping with my Doula and OB. Does anyone know the average amount of time it takes for the cord to stop pulsating? 

• heltoncl said:
    I found this video on a local doula's page. I don't know anything about Penny Simkin and her credentials personally, but that would be worth looking into. I did find this video to be informative or at the least a great demonstration. I am a FTM and will be discussing delayed cord clamping with my Doula and OB. Does anyone know the average amount of time it takes for the cord to stop pulsating? 

Not 100% positive, but in our Bradley class the last video we watched it mentioned on average it's only 3 minutes. So I'd say anywhere between 2 and 5 minutes. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • mc0113 said:
    heltoncl said:
    I found this video on a local doula's page. I don't know anything about Penny Simkin and her credentials personally, but that would be worth looking into. I did find this video to be informative or at the least a great demonstration. I am a FTM and will be discussing delayed cord clamping with my Doula and OB. Does anyone know the average amount of time it takes for the cord to stop pulsating? 

Not 100% positive, but in our Bradley class the last video we watched it mentioned on average it's only 3 minutes. So I'd say anywhere between 2 and 5 minutes. 
    Oh thats not as long as I suspected! Great thanks!
  • delayed both times. no issues. 
  • It would be helpful if we could explain what we consider "delayed clamping". For some it is just a minute or two, for some it is until the cord stops pulsing, and for others much much longer. We are planning to birth the placenta to a bowl and keep the cord in tact for about an hour until it turns white and blood equilibrium has been reached between the baby and placenta. This is the more natural method that is observed in nature. I also know someone who waited over 24 hours for the cord to practically detach itself. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I just had a home birth for DD#2, delayed cord clamping (detached after placenta delivery), and didn't have any bit of jaundice. DD#1 was born in the hospital, cut cord right away and had jaundice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We delayed cord clamping until pulsing stopped.  DS did not have jaundice.   
  • We delayed cord clamping with my son.  He didn't have any jaundice.  Even if he did, I would still delay clamping for subsequent children.  Benefits out way the risks.
  • Also, FTR, a baby can (and should, if possible) be resuscitated with cord intact. He/she is still getting oxygenated blood for a few minutes after birth should the baby be born floppy/blue/etc. This oxygenated blood can save the babies life.

This one always gets me. Baby's still getting oxygen through the cord as long as they are attached. It seems only sensical to have that life source remain until baby has well established breathing.

(Obviously barring some actual life threatening situation where this is not feasible.)
    Tied the knot 2007 | Baby #1 2012 | Baby #2 2013 | Baby #3 EDD 4/2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"