November 2014 Moms
Options

recommend your favorite nursing bra

Okay ladies I need some recommendations for nursing bras. My regular bras are about to bust at the seams so I figure if I am going to buy new might as well just get the nursing ones now since I will nerd them soon anyway.

Last time I bought O'Malleys(I think) from Target. I loved the none padded, non wire, cotton ones that I wore if we were stucking around the house with no visitors but even with nursing pads I couldn't wear thes out of the house without being able to see my nip outlines majorly thur my clothes.

The padded, no wire ones that I wore to work and out in oublic sucked for actual nursing and pumping. They never stayed folded down out of the way and seemed to make my boobs look lumpy under my clothes.

What brands, styles do you ladies love? Willing to spend more this time around as I figure I will be wearing for the remaining bit of pregnancy and at least a year after DD is born.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: recommend your favorite nursing bra

• Options
    Ditto that for sleep and lounging I love the Gillian O'Malley Target sleep bras (the ones that come in a 2 pack.

I also have two Bravado nursing bras for actually going out of the house and they are ahhhhmazing. So comfy but I can wear them without feeling like I'm wearing a sports bra. Totally recommend them, I think I'll buy a third this time around. :)
    dx: MFI 0% morph & low count. Occasional Anovulatory cycles.

TTC #1
    • IVF #1 4/21/12 - c/p
    • IVF#2 8/1/12 - BFP! DD arrived 4/10/2013.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    • FET #1 3/18/14 - BFP! DS arrived 11/19/2014.

• Options
    mamaluzimamaluzi member
    edited August 2014
    I just bought a couple the other day, though I haven't tried them for nursing yet (no babies right now!) I did try pulling on them, repositioning them as if I was going to nurse, etc. and they seem to fit the bill as of right now. I might convert them into nursing bras later with my sewing skills (if you do a Google search, tons of tutorials on how to do that pop up) so that I can save and buy regular, soft, non-padded/non-wire bras that can function as real nursing bras, but for now they seem stretchy enough to both grow and just get moved out of the way for nursing...we'll see.

I bought a bra from Motherhood Maternity that was just stretchy with no wire or padding, and then a similar bra from a regular store: the Bali Comfort Revolution bra (https://www.amazon.com/Bali-Comfort-Revolution-Convertible-Wirefree/dp/B00BNBAUZ0) It's supportive, flexible, and doesn't give you that "uniboob" look ;) I bought the soft, non-padded/non-wire, and it still gives great support even though I'm moderately large. If you want light padding, though, they make a version that has it....not sure how it would go for pulling out of the way like the non-padded ones, but you could just convert it into a nursing bra.

It has "easy sizing" so that you can get an xs, s, m, l, xl, etc. Right now, I fit pretty comfortably into the M, but I bought a L so it can grow with me. I was looking for something close to th Coobie bras I've heard so much about but I wanted to go to a store and physically try some on so I didn't end up getting a Coobie (you can only buy them online). I'm happy with my choices so far, though! Good luck!
    October Challenge: How I feel about the 3rd trimester:

Throwback: Hubby and I on our first date (Nov 2007), and then again on our wedding day (Nov 2012)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Bravado
    Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    With DS I loved the Bravado Body Silk Seamless (need to dig it out because I'm busting out right now too).  I also lived in the Bravado Essential nursing tanks, but I had a late spring/summer baby.  I think these will be nice layered for the fall/winter, especially around the house.     

• Options
    Checkout breakoutbras.com
    Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    When I was on maternity leave I practically lived in my Gillian O'Malley Target nursing tanks (these were great for immediately after birth too!
    But if I were to buy a nursing bra right now I would probably spring for a Vita Von Tesse just because I am still at the stage of wanting to look somewhat sexy (once the baby comes that will probably fly out the window)
    https://www.motherhood.com/maternity/designer-brands-dita-von-teese.asp?gclid=CJjt85WygcACFZTm7AodElEAvA

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Options
    I have heard that bravado are good. I have some sport bra type ones from cake lingerie that are super comfy.
    Kaitlyn - born November 7, 2014
  • Options
    Are any of you ladies blessed in the size department? I'm at a 38F and growing, so I know I'll still need larger and one with plenty of support... Zulily has a ton of nursing stuff up niw, but like OP, I still don't know what would work best...
  • Options
    Anita!  The Anita jacquard one is especially awesome.  Comes in extended sizes.  Worth every penny.  You can get them at breakoutbras and Nordstroms.
  • Options
    @hidingangel82 , Nordstrom has the best extended size selection I have ever seen. FigLeaves.com has a good DD+ selection, too. The bras tend to be on the pricey side, but that's always the case with big ole boobies (especially if you have an unusually small band size for your cup size).

image      image

• Options
    Bravado is quite comfy!

But to be honest... mostly I just wore Glamourmom nursing tank tops. I'm pretty well endowed, and still managed pretty comfortably just with the built in shelf bra in the tank top. 

I sometimes wore them by themselves (although that could get a little boobtastic - looking back, I feel like I should tag my breasts in all the pictures of my baby because my cleavage is just looming in the background), but mostly layered. If the shirt was low cut/loose enough I just pulled it down. If that wasn't doable, I would pull it up, and I appreciated having the tank top underneath to cover my belly. I felt way more exposed and uncomfortable baring my belly than in popping out my boob, haha! 

So yes. Glamourmom is my major recommendation. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Bravados seems to run small though. I normally wear size Small and 36b. I've increased in cup size but not so much! but I'm currently wearing size L with my bravado bras. I did buy a size M by accident and it's just so tight! Size L is still tight on me and drives me batty. I take it off when I get home because I get itchy around the straps and feel like I'm choking. Otherwise the bras are great!!! It's soft, comfortable (if I could get a XL) and nice colors.

I am on the lookout for other types of bras. I'd like something w thinner straps, larger size or better size options, and color options.

Don't get me wrong, bravado is a great brand and if it just fit me better, I'd be in love!
  • Options
    rahkittrahkitt member
    edited August 2014
    How the goodness do you buy these ahead of time? I hear my boobs are going to grow more, then get scary big and then go down a little again which has me confused. How do you choose a size?
    What I would recommend is to get one really big cheap stretchy Gillian O'Malley one from Target.  Just enough to kind of hold things in place for a week or two.  You're not going to be doing any running or jumping around right after giving birth anyway.  I think I got something like a 36DD for my first pregnancy.  Or tanks with support, though I found those to put too much pressure on mine, lots of women like them.  Get fitted a few weeks later (I ended up in like 32I my first time, so 36DD was obviously way off).  My second pregnancy my weight was down a bit and my breasts never got as big and swollen, and I expect the same this time since I haven't gone up a size so far (still at my pre-pregnancy 32FF)
  • Options
    I'm still squeezing into my pre-pregnancy bras with bra extenders but they have started to rub the top of my bump raw.  Is this because they're too small or because my bump is too high?  Any suggestions for fixing this or bras that might not do this?  I know I need to size up now, but I'm wondering if there's anything else special I need to look for.

And can you buy the O'Malley nursing bras in a regular Target store or is that an online-only purchase?
    Baby girl N born 10/29/14!

**Follow your heart, but take your brain with you**

• Options
    How the goodness do you buy these ahead of time? I hear my boobs are going to grow more, then get scary big and then go down a little again which has me confused. How do you choose a size?
    This is what I thought too! I've looked into some of the bras mentioned. I've had a couple Bravados in my amazon shopping cart for weeks but didn't buy them for this reason. Do you wear them now because they're comfortable? Do your boobs grow a ton between now and LO's arrival? I know this probably varies by person…. Mine grew most in the first tri and seem to have stabilized. I bought a few new regular bras then (Nordstrom rack!) which still fit.
    TTC 3/2012; IUI 2/26/14; EDD 11/23/14; DD born 11/21/14!!!
  • Options
    Cake lingerie nursing bras are super comfy. I have some of there stretchy sport bra looking ones. (They are called cotton candy)

A wrong fitting bra with underwire can cause problems. As long as you have been properly fitted, you should be fine. Also in cake bras they have an underwire technology called flexiwire - which is like underwire, but not. (More flexible than a traditional underwire.)
    Kaitlyn - born November 7, 2014
  • Options
    jillybean7582jillybean7582 member
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for the tips ladies, I will look into these suggestions. My mom is a certified lactation nurse and told me typically pregnant women's breast stop growing around the 24-28wk of pregnancy. This was true for me with DS. I bought my nursing bras around the 32wk mark and they fit perfectly after giving birth and my milk coming in.

The target bras where fine comfort wise I just didn't like how the padded one didn't flip down well for nursing. I went to motherhood maternity after my glucose test Friday and tried a bunch of different bras on. I only found one I liked as far as comfort and easy of folding down but it will do for now. Hoping I can find at least one racer back style as well.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips ladies, I will look into these suggestions. My mom is a certified lactation nurse and told me typically pregnant women's breast stop growing around the 24-28wk of pregnancy. 
    What I found was that my band size went up late in pregnancy but went back down pretty quickly after birth.  So keep that in mind.
  • Options

Macy's is the best place to buy nursing bras. I Love to shop everything from Macy's because they have wide range for clothing, accessories and jewelry stuff. Last time bought motherhood maternity molded-cup underwire semi bra. It's really comfortable & eases in this clip down & also give provide support & smooth shape to cups. Feel free to buy quality & comfort nursing bras from Macy's by using Macys Coupon Codes.

• Options
    I wore Target sleep bras for the first few weeks then bought Bravados. I also got bravado nursing tanks, which were nice to have on hand. I really like them, but I haven't tried other "nice" nursing bras, so I can't compare.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I just got the Bravado Designs Bliss Nursing Bra in the mail. It might be okay but it looks enormous like a grandma bra and runs super small. I'm a large D right now and the D/E was way too small. I'd definitely suggest sizing up if you get this one.

The Majamas Organic Easy Bra also just arrived and it is super comfy. I'll use it for hanging around the house, and maybe even for sleeping, but not for going out and about.
    It's a girl! Due November 22, 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"