Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

21 month DS biting hiting and screaming

Looking for advice I have a 21 month old son and lately he has been acting out.  He's not vocal yet so I am not sure if he is just venting or what.  But lately he has been hitting my husband, dogs and myself.  If something comes on the tv he doesn't like he is screaming and kicking what or who is closest to him.  We put him in his crib to cool off when he's acting out but it doesn't seem to be working, also ignoring him only makes his anger worse.  I am 33 weeks pregnant with #2 and I do not want him to hit the baby!  If this has been discussed I am sorry just desperate for any advice I can get on how to handle him!
View Full Size Image

Re: 21 month DS biting hiting and screaming

• Options
    He does understand.  I feel that my husband and I are consistent but our sitters may not be.  We explain to him that we do not hit/bite and walk away.  Looks like we may have to stress to the people we have watching him that if that happens this is what needs to be done! Thanks @nicb13
    View Full Size Image
  • Options
    Honestly I would do timeouts versus just walking away.  I feel like 21 mos is plenty old enough to understand.  I started 17- 18 mos with both of my kids.  DS is almost 23 mos and still goes through stages where he'll hit but it's much better.  The main issue is that you say your DS is hitting your dogs and I wouldn't be okay with that.  If DS hits our dog he is immediately removed because I don't want my dog to get angry.

At my house hitting/kicking/biting is given a warning.  So if DS hits he is told "We do not hit.  If you hit again you will go to timeout."  If he hits he goes to timeout.  It does not get better overnight but consistency is key.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ashiscute said:
    Honestly I would do timeouts versus just walking away.  I feel like 21 mos is plenty old enough to understand.  I started 17- 18 mos with both of my kids.  DS is almost 23 mos and still goes through stages where he'll hit but it's much better.  The main issue is that you say your DS is hitting your dogs and I wouldn't be okay with that.  If DS hits our dog he is immediately removed because I don't want my dog to get angry.

At my house hitting/kicking/biting is given a warning.  So if DS hits he is told "We do not hit.  If you hit again you will go to timeout."  If he hits he goes to timeout.  It does not get better overnight but consistency is key.  

This is exactly what we are doing now!  He has been bitten by one of the dogs and that hasn't stopped him yet! We will keep going at it and hopefully he will learn that this is unacceptable behavior.  Thanks Ladies!
    View Full Size Image
  • Options

At my house hitting/kicking/biting is given a warning.  So if DS hits he is told "We do not hit.  If you hit again you will go to timeout."  If he hits he goes to timeout. 
    This is what we do as well. And if it continues, he goes back in to timeout. There was a night he was in there 3 times in 2 hours. But usually now, if I give the warning and give him a look, he stops before it gets to that point. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My 20-mo just went through a biting phase. We would do a firm "no biting" and walk away. I do think he is old enough for timeouts. We started at 18 mo with DD but haven't yet with DS. It's probably time.  We always do a warning, and if the behavior doesn't stop, then timeout.

• Options
    I feel your pain.
    Most days I feel like I have lost control as a parent. My 21 month old daughter hits me and the dog, ALL THE TIME, I don't understand why. Every time I tell her "No" she hits me, every time I don't do exactly what she wants when she wants she hits me, if I ask for a kiss and she doesn't want to she hits me. I feel like I get hit in the face, chest, leg 50 times a day. She used to bite me when she was getting all her teeth but a month or so ago she started biting me again. She hits the dogs with her books and toys and pulls her by her hair. I feel like I've tried everything but nothing is working anymore. I am under so much stress right now that I think it may be my inconsistency. She usually takes time outs well, she seems to kind of like the privacy to calm down, I've even noticed her putting herself in time out when she starts acting out. It's so strange to me, her attitude, and it hurts my feelings. Who is this monster baby?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"