School-Aged Children
Options

need ideas for outdoor party in the rain

Chance of rain for our party at a park... I need some backup ideas we can do under the pavilion so I don't have to move the party to my house (ugh!)...
Anyone had a party or been to one that did something fun that takes up time??? there will be boys and girls there, mostly around the age of 5.

pin the tail on the...
hot potato
crafts if I can find some decent craft stuff to do
we have a pinata
???? any good ideas?

Also if I have 'prizes' for games does every kid have to get a prize or can I truly just get enough prizes for a few of them. I don't really want their favor to be the prize for a game and don't mind picking up a few small things but don't want to have to get 20 more things...!?

Re: need ideas for outdoor party in the rain

• Options
    I think your ideas are good. Id ask parents to bring raincotas. if it is a light rain kids can still run around outside.
    One prize per game is good. Id have one or two extra prizes in case of a tie or something.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Get a big posterboard and paint blobs of different sizes on it.  Mark the bigger blobs with a lower point value and the smaller blobs with a higher value.  Bring a bag of pennies and do a coin toss.  When I have done this at my kids' parties, I have found that kids don't even need a prize.  They just like to toss coins and see what "score" they get.  If you don't want to use pennies, you could use beans. They don't even care if it's an organized activity -- kids will just come up and grab a handful of "ammo" and start tossing.

You wouldn't think that this simple activity would be so attractive to kids, but I have found this to be a winner at several parties for varying ages, with age 5 and 6 being kind of the peak year for obsession with the coin toss game. 
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am trying to picture the coin toss do you lay the poster on the ground and what is the point of the paint? Do the pennies have to land in it? We will be at a public park so I guess I am wondering about mess and cleanup...
  • Options
    Ah -- sorry, that wasn't my best descriptive writing.

Poster board lays flat on the ground.  You can draw circles or other shapes as targets on the poster board.  Kids stand back about 3 - 5 feet and toss a penny and see if they can get it to land in one of the circles.  Sometimes the penny lands on the posterboard but not in a circle.  Sometimes the penny bounces or rolls off entirely.  Sometimes it lands in a target and then "Winner winner chicken dinner!!" 
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    The tug of war game is an awesome party game idea for kids of all ages, more so of the age group you mentioned. Just divide the kids in two groups (you could draw lots so that there are no ensuing scuffles or tears regarding team members!) and then just let them tug at the rope from both ends for all they are worth. One of the two teams is bound to invariably end up toppling over each other and they will love it!

Another all-time favorite of mine is the musical chairs game. This is a tried and tested idea and kids will love to run around in tune with the music. Perfect for the pavilion even if it rains
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"