School-Aged Children
Options

If you held your LO back but did kindergarten twice (private then public, etc)

groovygrlgroovygrl member
edited August 2014 in School-Aged Children
I am holding my August twins back (actually not technically holding back b/c the cutoff in our state is August 1 but a lot of ppl still petition to send August kids I think) so they'll do K at the school where they've gone to preschool/prek but the majority of their friends are older and moving on to public K.
Anyone else feel a little sad that the other kids are all talking about their new schools when yours weren't going somewhere new, even if you felt good about holding back, and also wondering if your kids just went with it the second time around with K or if they questioned why they were doing K again and did they accept the answer of just being younger than the others? Did they see kids they knew earlier in the same prek class in a class ahead of them and not understand why, or was it a non-issue?

Thanks...

Re: If you held your LO back but did kindergarten twice (private then public, etc)

• Options
    Mine has a Nov. Birthday so he was in a special preschool class with just the late birthdays and then the kindergarteners would join them in the afternoon. I was surprised this year when he jumped straight to Transitional K while others in his class went to PreK. I the fall, he will go to public school K while others will repeat private K. He was not happy to switch schools but I think it will be good for him to make new friends close to our house now rather than delay it a year. What got him to turn the corner just yesterday was looking at the after school program that just opened near our house. He is really excited to go there and I told him they only pick up kids from the school. Now he's excited to go. Also, he's excited about being more independent and choosing his lunch, bringing what he wants, wearing clothes he wants etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have a late August baby, and I did hold him back.  He did an additional year of preschool as a 5 y/o.

It was harder on me than it was on him.  I had gotten to be friends with a great group of moms I met during his 4 y/o preschool year.  Most of their kids had fall birthdays, had been 5 for a long time, and were really ready for K.  My guy was... not.  However, it was hard knowing that all those mom friends would be together working on PTA stuff at the elementary school, their kids would still be in the same classes, etc., while my kid was left behind.

It actually worked out for the best.  I'm still friends with those moms, although we see each other less.  But the bonus was that during the extra year of preschool, my son met the boys who are now his 2 best friends.  Turned out their moms are also super-nice.  It was also handy for my son to have friends in the grade above him.

And, undeniably, waiting a year was better for my son in every way.  His kindy teacher said, "Wow -- he's like the poster child for the concept of 'when in doubt, wait a year!'"  I'd just acknowledge that there's a little sadness about this change, but try to stay focused on the positive.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think I am sad about the me friends thing too, but today DD was all sad & jealous b/c she sees some of the kids who are older and went to public K at hte afterschool program where she is and they were all excited & raving about riding the bus, how fun their new school is, etc.... and she said she didnt really want to play with so & so anymore b/c all she was talking about was how great her kindergarten was. I know she'll get over it & it is a small blip on the road of life but I still feel sad for her since she is going to feel left out, even if/when we get together w/ some of her old preschool friends. I tried to tell her how it would be so great next year because she'd know so many things and be the older one in the class etc but I know that doesn't matter to her now... :(.
  • Options
    I have a 3.5 year old with a December bday that is in a similar situation. He's currently in the Pre-k room for the second year since he was always super verbal. He will stay in this room until next school year. We feel he is educationally ready to move up but he has a lot of maturing to do. His teacher is awesome at supplementing him as she has 4-6 kids in her class.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"