January 2014 Moms

Moms returning to work...eventually

I became a SAHM when DS was born (8/2011)...I had all intentions of returning after 6 months. I interviewed daycares, never packed my stuff at work, etc. I decided to stay home and plan on returning to work when my kids are in full day kindergarten. However, I won't be going back I to the criminal justice field. I really don't know what to do that would work around my kids' school schedule. I've been told to go into substitute teaching, but wonder if there's anything else out there. 

Do others have any ideas on what they'd like to do? I was thinking about applying to an organizing company and seeing if I can do a 7 hour day or something to that effect.  (I really love order and neatness...strange I know.). I'm actually terrified of working again. The whole application and interview process gives me anxiety. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: Moms returning to work...eventually

• I write about my job on this board a lot, so sorry to anyone who has to read this story for the 100th time. I am a professor. It is seriously the most rewarding, flexible, intellectually stimulating job. I typically have 100 or so students each semester (spread out over 3-5 classes) and I love them like children. I highly recommend teaching.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Do you need to work for financial reasons? You don't have to answer, it can be a rhetorical question. I ask because instead of subbing, you could volunteer at your children's school/classroom instead or join the pto/PTA and help out there. Just an idea.

I'm 33 DH is 36 
    Married 6/27/2009 Together since 10/22/2005
    TTC since 8/2010 (off BCP since 8/2009) 
    Unexplained Infertility
    8/2011, 1/2012, 3/2012 IUI #1-3 BFN 
    6/2012 IVF#1 BFN, 8/2012 IVF#2 FET BFN, 11/2012 IVF#3 BFP
    12/10/2012 U/S #1 6w4d - heartbeat  EDD 8/1/13 
    12/26/2012 U/S #2 8w6d - No more heartbeat, MMC; D&C; Chromosome testing normal; male :( RPL testing normal 
    4/3/2013 DX Asherman's Syndrome caused by D&C, hysteroscopy done
    June 2013 IVF #4 planned 
    5/12/2013 SURPRISE BFP! Natural cycle 
    7/11/2013 Panorama results Normal!!! Team Pink, partial previa moved up in 2nd tri9/5/13 (19w) AS scan shows short cervix, 2.5 cm 9/19 (21w)  Cervix is worse 1.87cm, bed rest 10/26 & 10/27 steroid shots 12/19 (35w) DX: SGA Baby went from 57% percentile to 18th percentile in 6 weeks. Weekly BPP and NST until she is here. 1/17/18 Growth scan puts Abby below 10th percent in size, low amniotic fluid, and less movement. Time to induce!
    1/18/14 2:11am Abigial Morgan is here! 5lbs 14oz and 18 inches of pure cuteness!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • lradanolradano member
    edited August 2014
    Any interest in working from home? I work as a grant writer for a nonprofit in a different state and its a great set up. I work 25 hours a week while our nanny watches DS in the house.
  • I've been thinking about going back part time after both kids are in school full day. Idk what I would do though. I worked full time at a spring training facility. I could go back to doing something like that, but not at the same facility. I'm certified in victimology so it would be nice to find something in that area.
  • I literally was just thinking about this today. Our kindergarden is from 8-2:20. So, I'd only be able to work 8:30 to1:45/2.

I'm going to try and go part-time at a job I worked at years ago.

Why don't you want to go back to your previous job/field?
  • I write about my job on this board a lot, so sorry to anyone who has to read this story for the 100th time. I am a professor. It is seriously the most rewarding, flexible, intellectually stimulating job. I typically have 100 or so students each semester (spread out over 3-5 classes) and I love them like children. I highly recommend teaching.
    Becoming a professor in education is my dream job! I want to focus on education psychology. Very cool!

@MiaMyPuggle, perhaps you could look into being a teacher's assistant part time? That way maybe you can work around your kids' schedules. Or, perhaps your local school district has openings for part time paraprofessionals? That position requires lots of organization and again, hopefully it would work around your kids' schedules! 

Sorry, I work in education so those are all the ideas that popped into my head right away. 
    Met & fell in love in '02 Married in '10
    Our first is in Heaven- we said goodbye in September 2012
  • Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is an organizing company?

• I want to go back to work when my kids are in school full-time.  I used to teach so I would love to be a substitute teacher.  That way I have the same days off as my kids, plus I would have flexibility to have days off (not take a sub job) so that I can go on field trips with my kids, volunteer in their classroom, etc. 

Would you be interested in working in the cafeteria at a school, or the library, or an office job with the district office?  That way you would still have the same days off as your kids. 

• Would you be interested in working in the cafeteria at a school, or the library, or an office job with the district office?  That way you would still have the same days off as your kids. 

I'm sure every school district is different but working in the cafe/library/office she probably wouldn't have all the same days off. Yes, the big long holidays etc. but she would probably work some teacher days. And again, maybe it is my district but most people that work at the district office work the whole summer (except Fridays) and have more business hours (9-5).

I'm 33 DH is 36 
    Married 6/27/2009 Together since 10/22/2005
    TTC since 8/2010 (off BCP since 8/2009) 
    Unexplained Infertility
    8/2011, 1/2012, 3/2012 IUI #1-3 BFN 
    6/2012 IVF#1 BFN, 8/2012 IVF#2 FET BFN, 11/2012 IVF#3 BFP
    12/10/2012 U/S #1 6w4d - heartbeat  EDD 8/1/13 
    12/26/2012 U/S #2 8w6d - No more heartbeat, MMC; D&C; Chromosome testing normal; male :( RPL testing normal 
    4/3/2013 DX Asherman's Syndrome caused by D&C, hysteroscopy done
    June 2013 IVF #4 planned 
    5/12/2013 SURPRISE BFP! Natural cycle 
    7/11/2013 Panorama results Normal!!! Team Pink, partial previa moved up in 2nd tri9/5/13 (19w) AS scan shows short cervix, 2.5 cm 9/19 (21w)  Cervix is worse 1.87cm, bed rest 10/26 & 10/27 steroid shots 12/19 (35w) DX: SGA Baby went from 57% percentile to 18th percentile in 6 weeks. Weekly BPP and NST until she is here. 1/17/18 Growth scan puts Abby below 10th percent in size, low amniotic fluid, and less movement. Time to induce!
    1/18/14 2:11am Abigial Morgan is here! 5lbs 14oz and 18 inches of pure cuteness!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Is going back to school an option? If so, have you thought about the rehab world. I'm a speech language pathologist and that requires a masters so about 6 years, but the peogram for physical therapy assistants and occupational therapy assistants is only 2 years. I imagine our schedules are some of the most flexible and there's tons of PRN (as needed) work out there. Also lots of different settings (skilled nursing, home health, outpatient, acute care hospital, school system). It's a great field if you don't mind working in healthcare!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am in the same boat. I am so dreading returning to work and am definitely considering a change in job and going to part time. I would love to SAH until DD is old enough for Kindergarden but financially that isn't going to happen. I need to at least work part time. The worst part is my old boss has already sent me my new work schedule for January. Gives me anxiety thinking about it!  I hope you find a solution that works for you and your family! 
  • Have you thought about starting your own organization company? I have thought about this line of work too since I love organizing and I often organizing things for family. You would have to put in the work to get a client base but you could set your own hours. I found a few blogs on Pinterest that talked about this and had some helpful information. Also, I'm not sure about the US but there is an online certification you can get for this in Canada.

• lradano said:

Any interest in working from home? I work as a grant writer for a nonprofit in a different state and its a great set up. I work 25 hours a week while our nanny watches DS in the house.

I would!! Can you give me some info on this?

Married June 2010.
    DD born 1/13 via Csection at 41w5d after 47 hours of labor

• I'm currently working FT and hate it. It doesn't help that I HATE my job. I'm counting down the days until I can SAH, which will be after my maternity leave in roughly March. I plan on working part time. Thought about substitute teaching. What I just decided I was going to do was take over my dads screen printing business. He's getting older and doesn't need the money and just doesn't want to do it anymore. I have an eye for detail and love making up designs for t-shirts and whatever else. I'm actually really excited about it. I already have about 4 steady clients that I'll be doing t-shirts/hoodies for. This way I can work from home (out of our heated, finished garage) and make up my own schedule. I know my little rant is really no help to you, but I wish you luck and hope you find something you enjoy!! I feel the same way about the whole interviewing process. Ekk!

• I still don't know what an organizing company is...
  • @peanutmuse I searched organizing companies on Google. It looks like there are companies filled with professional organizers that will come organize your house, office, garage, finances, etc. for you.
  • @peanutmuse I searched organizing companies on Google. It looks like there are companies filled with professional organizers that will come organize your house, office, garage, finances, etc. for you.
    I kind of figured that's what it was, but is it like a small business thing -- or are there actually like large, successful consulting companies that do it? It's difficult to glean that information from a website. The National Organization of Professional Organizing looks like it's just a bunch of independent consultants. I just wonder how much of a market there is and if people can really be successful at it? I guess it would depend on your audience, community, etc.
  • Sure, what kind of info r u looking for?
  • lradano said:

Sure, what kind of info r u looking for?

Who r u talking to? ;)

• lradano said:

Sure, what kind of info r u looking for?

Are there positions available? PM me details?

Married June 2010.
    DD born 1/13 via Csection at 41w5d after 47 hours of labor

• Sure, what kind of info r u looking for?
    Who r u talking to? ;)
    She is the grant writer who OP asked more for more info on writing grants from home. 

• @peanutmuse I don't know if there are successful companies. I saw the pricing list on the first website and was like holy shit who can afford this?!
  • I think it depends on your motivation behind working - is it financial, personal satisfaction, career advancement etc? If it's something you'd like to do to change career, I think it's easier to start with volunteering and get a feel for it. It would also be good to get out and network. I find that job prospects are mostly about knowing the right people at the right time. I'm actually thinking about staying home full time now that my DS is almost 4. There are so many activities that we want to do tat simply isn't feasible with my working schedule, even though I am part time. If I decide to stay at home full time, I will continue to go to networking events and volunteer at a local charity to keep my job potential going. That way it won't be so scary when I am ready to go back to work full time.
  • Love this post. I was thinking about this, this weekend as well. I know I want to go back into something flexible, but I really have no idea what I want to go back into. I want a change also. Perhaps teaching? The key is part time for me. I used to work at in higher Ed at a University doing fundraising.

I think some of the PP's have made some excellent points depending on what we want to go back for professional or financial reasons. I also second children's PTA...you could Segway into the school system this way.

• I literally was just thinking about this today. Our kindergarden is from 8-2:20. So, I'd only be able to work 8:30 to1:45/2. I'm going to try and go part-time at a job I worked at years ago. Why don't you want to go back to your previous job/field?
    The burn out rate is high in my old profession. I saw the world in a whole different light and it isn't pretty. I became leery of everyone and became angry. While pregnant, I hated coming to work bc I felt bad bringing a child into this world. Now, my outlook on life is changing back to how it used to be and not EVERYONE is a pedophile or rapist....not serious, but you catch my drift. I want a happier and more rewarding environment. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • MiaMyPuggleMiaMyPuggle member
    edited August 2014
    Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is an organizing company?
    https://www.napo.net
    It's real. It's professional organizers. Did you ever see those shows like clean sweep or hoarders?  I'd love to help declutter (after the house is remediated and the junk is out). Love that stuff. 

Don't you need your masters (at least) in order to become a prof?  In community colleges (in PA), I know a masters suffices. I just have my BA. Not "just"...I mean I didn't go further. I was DONE. 

• nolagal79 said:
    Is going back to school an option? If so, have you thought about the rehab world. I'm a speech language pathologist and that requires a masters so about 6 years, but the peogram for physical therapy assistants and occupational therapy assistants is only 2 years. I imagine our schedules are some of the most flexible and there's tons of PRN (as needed) work out there. Also lots of different settings (skilled nursing, home health, outpatient, acute care hospital, school system). It's a great field if you don't mind working in healthcare!
    I looked into going Into medical technology when I was choosing a major....the one class I would have had to take was phlebotomy where I was my own subject. At the time, I was terrified of needles....like just see one and pass out. So, healthcare may not be up my alley. However, I did look into sonography. It's a 16 mo program at a college/tech school in NJ, but I prob wouldn't be on my kids' schedule. 

• km_md said:
    Have you thought about starting your own organization company? I have thought about this line of work too since I love organizing and I often organizing things for family. You would have to put in the work to get a client base but you could set your own hours. I found a few blogs on Pinterest that talked about this and had some helpful information. Also, I'm not sure about the US but there is an online certification you can get for this in Canada.
    Ok...move to NJ/NY metro and we can start our own business!  I'd love to be my own boss. I'm too Type A to have a boss again!  :))

Don't you need your masters (at least) in order to become a prof?  In community colleges (in PA), I know a masters suffices. I just have my BA. Not "just"...I mean I didn't go further. I was DONE. 

You do need a PhD in most cases. A masters will work if you are ok with a part time appointment as a professor.

Have you thought about the closet design companies? Our rep from California Closets worked from home and made her own schedule.
  • I will hire you to ORGANIZE MY LIFE!!! I literally was going to hire someone this week to come help me. I haven't ever been very neat but add in a baby and it feels like chaos. There is a very real market for many people out there. I have no problem staying organized at work and can multitask detailed tasks like nobodies business but get me home and its just never happened despite my intentions.
    I think pp have made some great suggestions. My MIL is a preschool aid and has 90% off the school holidays etc off. Occasional meetings etc but she loves it. Maybe check around with local preschools if you want to be around more kiddos.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"