February 2015 Moms
Options

Advice: Not enjoy being pregnant

I am a first time preggo, and was excited to have a baby, but I am really disliking pregnancy and it makes me scared that I will not enjoy being a mom. Any advice from those who already have children?

Re: Advice: Not enjoy being pregnant

• Options
    I hear it gets better in second tri when you start feeling better

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I was sick and miserable the whole time I was pregnant with my daughter. Once she came out I felt much better and I love being a mom. Pregnancy is just harder on some people. This pregnancy I feel much better. I had morning sickness for 2 weeks and now the only symptoms I have are exhaustion, hunger and headaches. I definitely feel better now that I'm in second trimester. Hopefully you'll feel better soon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know some girls at work that hated being pregnant, but they still love their babies. That said I would more so worry if you start to resent your unborn child. If you dislike pregnancy because of the symptoms, second tri is so much better, third is just an uncomfortable waiting game but having your baby is pure gold.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I said this exact thing to my family and they all say that the moment we see our LO, we will forget all about the shitty portions of pregnancy and just basque in the glow of baby. My family really wants us to have two if this one turns out to be a girl. My mom is just convinced that my hubby will regret not having his name carry on if we don't have a boy. When in reality he doesn't care. But now that my nausea is almost over, I don't feel so anti pregnancy anymore. So I may try for a second, in a few years! I don't want them back to back. Id like to have at least three to four years between them.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    its OK and completely normal to feel that way, don't be discouraged. when I was pregnant before it was the worst time of my life. extreme morning sickness for three months, constantly bitching, and always always miserable. I hated life. my daughter was born and I wasn't too happy (which is OK and normal). I even refused to hold her for pics. It took a few days but I fell in love and my motherly instinct kicked in. I love her so so so soo much and I do everything I can for her. don't put yourself down. write in a journal, it'll help you feel better and its something you can look back on years from now. (heck even write a journal for your baby). it's OK and I hope you feel better!
  • Options
    oh and when its all over you'll forget what being pregnant was like. it really does go by so fast (although it definitely doesn't seem like it now!!)
  • Options
    Honestly, I don't enjoy very much of pregnancy. I love feeling baby move and knowing my family is growing. I absolutely love being a mom. I wouldn't trade being a mom for the world.
  • Options
    The experience of being pregnant is totally different from that of being a mom. Pregnancy takes a toll on your body and affects your health condition. I think there are more women that dislike at least parts of pregnancy than women that just bask in a blissful glow the whole time. There are very few women (that I know of, at least) that change their mind after birth and wish they weren't a mom. 

Being a mom isn't easy and totally changes your life, but after you recover from pregnancy you get to have your own body back, which makes a big difference, I think! Plus, you get to see and hold your baby in your arms, which is a different feeling, too. (And you get to hand said baby to loved ones, which gives you an actual break! There's no break from pregnancy.)

I wouldn't worry too much about not liking being a mom based on not liking pregnancy. 

If you do find that you have a rough time in the beginning, I'd reach out to your OB, because baby blues, post-partem depression, and post-partem anxiety are very real and there are people that can help women suffering from post-partem issues. I tend to assume things will be fine unless I have a solid reason to think otherwise, so I'm not saying to worry about those things, just to be aware that it's a possibility and that help exists. 
  • Options
    I hate being pregnant. Baby kicks are fun, but that's it, IMO. I absolutely love being a mom. They are not the same thing at all. Pregnancy is the means to an end. Motherhood is just that: motherhood. And it's great, difficult, and rewarding all at once.
    J+C est. 6.22.08
    Adele Lorraine b. 7.13.11

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! All so helpful!
  • Options
    This pregnancy has been tougher than my first but I love my DD and love being a mom. It makes going through all this totally worth it the first time you hold them :)
  • Options
    I view pregnancy as a means to an end. I dislike being pregnant and honestly didn't really enjoy the first couple months after DS was born (very fussy baby) but it is worth it in the end. I decided to do it again, didn't I. :-)
  • Options
    Ive enjoyed this pregnancy alot more than my first. if it werent for constantly being tired i wouldnt feel like i was at all.
    Pregnancy #1 DD 08.30.2007
    Pregnancy #2 Natural Miscarriage at 6 weeks 03/2014 Due date 11/9/2014
    Pregnancy #3 DS 02.23.2015
    Pregnancy #4 Missed Miscarriage at 11 weeks 11/2018 Due date 5/22/2019
    Pregnancy #5 Positive test 12/11/2019 Due Date 8/17/2020

• Options
    First tri is rough but it doesn't last forever. 2nd tri you will feel great, have energy, and it's fun when you actually have a bump. Also feeling baby kick, learning the sex, planning the nursery, picking out names, buying clothes etc etc it gets way better. Plus meeting your baby for the first time and just being a mommy... It's the best feeling.

Hang in there!
  • Options
    As PPs have said, pregnancy is a means to an end. I HATE being pregnant, but LOVE my kids. If I didn't have to be pregnant to have another after this I would. I've know many moms who said they'd love to have more children, but just don't want to do pregnancy again.

Don't beat yourself up; a lot of women don't enjoy pregnancy. Motherhood is a totally different ball game. It's so great, I put myself through this 4 times :)
    Two under two, here we come!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage image
  • Options
    dreamof2dreamof2 member
    edited August 2014
    I hated being pregnant the first time around but I adore my son!  I never forgot how much I hated being pregnant but still chose to do again with my eye on the prize!  I was hoping that this go around would be better but it seems like I still don't enjoy being pregnant.

As you can see, you are definitely not alone:)
  • Options
    Exactly as maryxc1 said. Dislike being pregnant, it's way worse this time, I love my child but didn't enjoy first 6 months (extreme colic) super love running around with my one year old (active person so I don't think the blob stage suits me- that said I was fine, patient and loving and caring even though I didn't love mommying per se at first). Being pregnant is irrelevant to being a mom. You'll be fine and will love your child. Each one is different so you will have your own experience.
  • Options
    I hate being pregnant. The only reason women tell you how great pregnancy is, is because they forgot how much it effing sucks. It is like childbirth, you will forget the pain once you hold the baby (or at least a few weeks later).
    Is it worth it? Absolutely. Do I have bad days with the hell beast known as my toddler? Absolutely. Would I still so it a million times over. Absolutely.
    F15 December Siggy Challenge: Holiday Decoration Fails

Natalie Ann is on her way!
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am one of those women who loves pregnancy. That said, this time has been rough. I'm feeling it more and the discomfort and anxiety I'm dealing with knocks some of the fairy dust off of everything. I'm banking it'll let up more when the second trimester really takes hold and I start feeling baby move regularly. I also wasn't one who super bonded immediately with dd1. But I lovey babies and you will love yours even when motherhood leaves you scratching your head.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"