December 2014 Moms
Options

Shower Etiquette Question

My aunt is hosting a shower for me, which is great. I am very thankful. However, my mom just texted me and said she was going to help my aunt with the shower and asked about my guest list. I'm a little frustrated because 1) I thought that (etiquette wise), my mom is not supposed to host a shower for me. 2) My aunt has a terrible tendency to ask for "help" and pawn the work to someone else while she takes credit for it.

I don't know if I should mention to either my mom, my aunt, or both that traditionally, grandma-to-be shouldn't host the shower? Am I jumping the gun on saying something? I don't want to sound ungrateful or pushy, but I also don't want my mom to get taken advantage of (which I think will happen).

Any tips would be great! TIA! :)

DS1: 12/17/2014
DS2: born sleeping at 26 weeks on 8/8/2016 due to chromosomal deletion
Pregnant with baby 3 -  EDD 9/14/2017

Re: Shower Etiquette Question

• Options
    I'm in Texas. I'm a FTM and don't have a ton of shower experience. My co-worker made it sound very faux pas. Maybe it's a good idea to just let them work it out and I'll stay out of it.

It is my dad's sister. My parents are divorced and my mom has gotten screwed over in these situations before. My mom has already done so much for MH and I to prepare for the baby, I don't want her to feel like she has to do even more. I think I'm going to call her and feel it out. If my mom wants to help, that's fine. It's her first grandchild and I know she is excited, but I don't want her to feel obligated to work with my aunt on something. Mind you, this is the aunt that insisted she throw a shower, even if it was just the two of us. She also requested the baby come to her Christmas party (he would be 2 weeks old), and asked that my sister come in town for the day (because it's her last year to throw this party) - even though my sister works retail and HAS to work Christmas Eve and the day after....basically she can be a major headache :) She means well, but can be frustrating and selfish.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Honestly, you should probably stay out of it. Your aunt is hosting and your mom is helping so there is no breach of etiquette.

Also, your mother is a grown woman. If she feels like your aunt is asking too much or taking advantage, that is up to her to handle.
  • Options
    Yep, in my area, the grandmother co-hosting a baby shower is fine (although the mom hosting a bridal shower is still a no-go from what I've heard lately, lol).  And personally, I wouldn't bat an eye at anyone except for the mom-to-be hosting it.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I honestly had no idea there was an etiquette about who should or should not host the baby shower. I don't live near any family and have very few friends where I live. My closest girl friends - college friends - up in Canada are planning on going down to my Mom's house to host one for me... still not sure who will technically end up being the host (Mom? or Friends? but Im just letting them figure it out). And I will likely have another shower, since a friend in my office has already expressed how she really wants to host one for me with all the women from the office. Then my best friends (from Middle School thru High School) who live out in California wanted to do something for me when I go out there for my cousins wedding in October. Lol. So my shower situation is a bit of a mess in general but I just don't care - I am letting friends/family do what they want.
  • Options
    I'm with everyone who said they didn't know there was etiquette regarding who hosted. My mother and MIL hosted mine. In general, people in my area don't seem too concerned with shower etiquette as a general statement. 
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • Options
    @eora3 - I hear you! :) my mom is a big push over and way too generous. I think it's one of her best and worst qualities.

Sounds like it's not the biggest deal etiquette wise, so I'm going to let them work it out :)

• Options
    My mom hosted mine. I didn't know that was a no-no in some areas. I wouldn't get involved with who is hosting and just go with it.
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
  • Options
    Eora3 said:
    Honestly, you should probably stay out of it. Your aunt is hosting and your mom is helping so there is no breach of etiquette. Also, your mother is a grown woman. If she feels like your aunt is asking too much or taking advantage, that is up to her to handle.
    this

BFP 7/16/13, EDD 3/27/14 - blighted ovum  - D&C 8/26/13
    Dx PCOS and Septate Uterus
    Septum Resection - 2/6/14
    brand new cuterus
    March 2014:   first medicated cycle + iui
    = BFP!
    Baby Drgn born December 3, 2014

• Options

Bridal shower etiquette says that the mother should not host a shower, but I have never heard that about baby showers.  Almost every baby shower I have attended has been hosted by one of the grandmothers-to-be.  I would let them work it out.

• Options
    Where I'm from (upstate ny) it's pretty much given that the mom or MIL hosts bridal and baby showers. I had never known it to be a faux pas it some parts of the country until now.

I agree with everyone and let your mom and aunt work it out. GL!
    Me: 32, DH:33, Married: 8/30/2008, TTC since: 10/1/2012
    DX: Me - DOR & tubal issues, DH: none. 
    June 2004: Ectopic pregnancy with DH while dating
    October & November 2013: IUI #1 & 2 - BFN
    December 2013:Taking a break, trying on our own.
    January 2014: BFP!!!! Ectopic pregnancy ruptured at 6wks1day. Left Fallopian tube removed. Noted during surgery the right Fallopian tube is severely damaged from 2004 ectopic pregnancy.
    April 8 2014: IVF#1 w/ISCI: 10 received, 5 mature, 3 fertilized. Day 3 transfer of all three embies.
    April 22, 2014: BFP! beta #1: 80 beta #2: 211 One nugget! 
    January 6, 2015: Adeline Marguerite is here!!

image image

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree with others that it can be regional.  I also agree with some others who have posted that I think rules for bridal showers are stricter than for baby showers.  I think you're fine.
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• Options
    Drgn30 said:
    Eora3 said:
    Honestly, you should probably stay out of it. Your aunt is hosting and your mom is helping so there is no breach of etiquette. Also, your mother is a grown woman. If she feels like your aunt is asking too much or taking advantage, that is up to her to handle.
    this

I third this. Exactally what I was going to say.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My mom hosted my baby shower with my son...I had no idea some people thought it was a no no. If it were me, I'd let the 2 ladies deal with it and just enjoy the gracious act of them throwing the shower. It's not something you should be stressing yourself over.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think you've already figured it out by now but I wanted to add that i don't think it's a big deal. Ppl get really up in arms over who's hosting what but honestly if it's something that needs "googled" to verify then there's a good chance that it doesn't really matter.

I know some don't like to hear this, and it's not me just saying this to get out if etiquette ( I do think it's important) but traditions change. That's all there is to it. It used to be etiquette/tradition for fathers to trade goats for their daughters lol...hardly ever comes up nowadays ;)

Besides all of that. Your mom only asked about your guest list...no one would ever even know she hosted it unless she put on the invite "hosted by MTB mother". And even then...what's so wrong about that? Her daughter is having a child and the shower is to welcome her into motherhood. Why wouldn't a mother want to do that for her own daughter :)
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • Options
    My husband's aunt hosted my bridal shower but my MIL is co-hosting my baby shower because (as she says) "It is my first grand baby and I want to be involved!" Lol

I think with the baby shower it's all about the baby, not so much the parents (unlike a wedding shower) so it is just grandma throwing a party to celebrate their grandchild. Since my kid is going to be super spoiled by both sets of grandparents, this just seems par for the course to me!!!
  • Options
    Yall are awesome! Thanks for all the advice. I think you are all spot on :) I'm going to let them deal with it and just be grateful. My mom IS a grown woman and can handle it herself.

@gradschoolmom1234 - thanks for the article! that is really helpful :)

• Options
    FTM from texas and my sisters and best friend are hosting mine. When my sisters had their children I hosted theirs. I guess everyone is different. Hope it all works out for you. :)
  • Options
    I never concerned myself with what makes for proper etiquette, and it seems to vary based on region or culture.

My mom and aunt hosted my shower for my eldest, and the wives of my ex-husband's unit hosted a surprise shower. This time, my MIL has talked about wanting to do something. We shall see.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    When I saw this post all I could think was about taking a shower. I was thinking where on earth do you take your showers that you need to be worried about etiquette?
  • Options

Honestly, I've never heard of parents hosting being a bad thing. So, perhaps it's regional? I've been to several where the mother hosted. My mom and MIL hosted my shower for DD. They asked pretty much right after I told them I was pregnant and with it being a first grandchild on both sides, they weren't even really asking! I'm pretty sure it went something along the lines of, "Ohmygosh! You have to let us host your shower!" I wasn't going to tell them no and they did a wonderful job.

While I tend to be a stickler about a lot of etiquette topics, there are some things that are just nbd in my opinion. Seeing as how I never even heard of this issue, it happens to be one of them.

My BFF is hosting a little luncheon sprinkle with just my girlfriends (10 people) to celebrate this baby. I'm not registering. Gifts are not expected. This is our second girl. ::gasp!:: I'm sure I'm going to hell for this. 8-|

My point is, you're perfectly fine! Your mom wants to help out, let her. I think it's worse, etiquette wise, for you to get involved either way. I highly doubt people are going to hear your mom is helping the host and forgo coming to your party. Tell your friend to shut it. :) Enjoy your shower!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Honestly, unless your last name is Bush, Clinton, or Kennedy, who cares?  If someone wanted to host a shower for me every day until baby is born, the more the merrier.  As a westerner with a bunch of West Coast friends, I've been to couple's showers with all sorts of people invited.  Two of my guests are a gay couple.  How lucky I feel that so many people want to celebrate the birth of my child. What an honor.

I'd tell your co-worker to mind her own business. Love is love, and if your mom wants to help with the shower, that's awesome.
    EDD 12/3/14 First time Mom!

D14 Free for All

These two are just so funny...

Also, due date has come, gone and I am just so anxious to meet baby!  Please be healthy and strong baby, mama can't wait to meet you :)
  • Options
    I wouldn't want anyone other than my mom to host. I think it's an imposition on anyone else. I would also agree with PPs-let your Mom and aunt duke it out if necessary. As long as you aren't hosting your own shower, don't worry about it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"