Adoption
Options

Lurker Question - Resources about bonding?? (ticker warning)

***Ticker warning, losses mentioned***
Hi Ladies,
I hope you don't mind if I ask a question on this board. If it is not appropriate, I am completely willing to remove it.
MH and I are expecting a child through a gestational surrogate in November. Using a gestational surrogate is interesting in that while the child will be biologically ours, I am not carrying and both mh and I are concerned about bonding we are missing out on now and how best to facilitate bonding once our child is born.

We anticipate being at the birth (our GC lives an hour from us, but delivers quickly!).

Can you please recommend resources (books, websites, YouTube videos, whatever) that have helped facilitate bonding?

I wish each of you the best on a tough journey!

TTC #1 since 12/2010 DH: MFI, cancer survivor Me: Resected septate uterus, lap treated mild endo, tubes open, ovulate on own, autoimmune disease 3 Failed IUI's (2/2012, 4/2012, 6/2012) 
IVF #1 August 2012. BFP! Beta #1 56.7 Beta #2 150 One baby, one heartbeat on 9/20/12! no h/b @7w6d. dandc @8w0d
FET #1 December 2012, BFN
FET #2 February 2013, no embies survived thaw
IVF #2, BFP #2, Loss #2 March 2013, Scar tissue discovered, RPL testing,
IVF #3, BFP #3, Loss #3 (twins) September 2013
Hostile ute, moving onto Gestational Carrier!

GC/FET #1 of 1 5AA blast and 1 compacted blast, February 2014, BFP #4 on 3/1/2014!
6w u/s 1 bean with h/b of 145 bpm, 8w u/s 187 bpm
EDD 11/7/14. Please, please, please stick little one!

Praying unceasingly for a miracle. ALL welcome!

Re: Lurker Question - Resources about bonding?? (ticker warning)

• Options
    Our agency recommends no one but the parents feed, change, bathe, or soothe the baby for the first 6-8 weeks. We did this and feel very bonded to our child, and he was already almost 7 months when he came home.
  • Options

Ditto Gnome.

And tickers aren't generally a problem here

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are adopting shortly, and I haven't even thought about not being able to bond with him. I just can't wait to get my hands on him! I know some people struggle with it though. I have no advice on reading material though. Congrats!!
  • Options

We make sure to get lots of snuggle time with our foster daughter who came home from the NICU with us at three weeks old.  Unfortunately, I didn't get a maternity leave, so she's in daycare bonding with others during the day.  We just make sure that we snuggle as much as we can with her at home and talk a lot with her so she's familiar with our voices.  We are four weeks in and so far so good...but we have a road ahead of us too!

• Options
    You may also want to wear him as much as possible. Moby Wraps are good for the NB stage
  • Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and advice ladies! 
    TTC #1 since 12/2010 DH: MFI, cancer survivor Me: Resected septate uterus, lap treated mild endo, tubes open, ovulate on own, autoimmune disease 3 Failed IUI's (2/2012, 4/2012, 6/2012) 
    IVF #1 August 2012. BFP! Beta #1 56.7 Beta #2 150 One baby, one heartbeat on 9/20/12! no h/b @7w6d. dandc @8w0d
    FET #1 December 2012, BFN
    FET #2 February 2013, no embies survived thaw
    IVF #2, BFP #2, Loss #2 March 2013, Scar tissue discovered, RPL testing,
    IVF #3, BFP #3, Loss #3 (twins) September 2013
    Hostile ute, moving onto Gestational Carrier!

GC/FET #1 of 1 5AA blast and 1 compacted blast, February 2014, BFP #4 on 3/1/2014!
    6w u/s 1 bean with h/b of 145 bpm, 8w u/s 187 bpm
    EDD 11/7/14. Please, please, please stick little one!

Praying unceasingly for a miracle. ALL welcome!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"