Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Pulling Up

My LO is 7 months old and this weekend has learned how to pull up to his knees and feet if he can reach high enough. I am TERRIFIED he is going to pull up and fall backwards onto his head! He goes to the babysitter Tue-Fri and I am so scared that he will do it there and in the seconds she is not watching him this will happen. Any advice!? Would be really be high enough to hurt himself if he fell??

Re: Pulling Up

• Options
    My DD pulled up on the table all the way to her feet, then immediately fell back on her butt. DH was right behind her but it scared her enough that she hasn't done it again. Not really answering your question but I'm feeling the same thing right now.
    Wedding 08/08/08

BFP #1 12/29/10 EDD 08/29/11 Blighted Ovum 02/09/11 D&C 02/11/11

Clomid 50mg BFP #2 09/21/11 EDD 05/29/11 Chemical Pregnancy 10/4/11

BFP #3 4/19/13 Beta1- 106 Beta2- 524 Beta3- 3500 EDD 12/22/13 LO born 12/31/13

• Options
    It is so scary @poohbear033 ! I am even more scared because he has not quite mastered sitting up yet. He can but he can't exactly stop himself from teetering over! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DD is almost 9mo. She is a climber. She falls. ALL. THE. TIME. I worry, but she tells me whe it's serious. Let your LO explore. He will fall but will get right back up.

Watching B I noticed that she often anticipates the fall and bends her knees, landing on her bum instead.

Hang in there!

Can't figure out the signature thing, so here's the short, short version.....first daughter born on November 10, 2013. She was conceived through the magic of IVF after 2+ years of TTC.
  • Options
    My 8month old has taken maybe 2 falls where he hit his head both falling forward and backward. It's going to happen just be careful not to freak out too much if it happens while you're there. However he now has taught himself to bend his knees to fall on his booty. I say when you're with your baby let then practice while your watching. I just sat on the floor or against the couch while my son practiced. Little by little I'd move further and further away...

IF you are really worried they sell padded helmets for this exact reason. I saw them at our local baby store. They look like wrestling helmets :)

• Options
    My LO is 8 months now and has figured out pulling up. She's fallen backwards onto her butt many times. It's only when she's tired or turns way to fast on her feet that she falls and guys her head. Give him time and he will become more stable :)

• Options
    MrsMuq said:
    Your babysitter isn't going to watch your LO every second of every minute she's with him. Neither do you I would imagine. It's impossible. Kids fall. They get hurt. It's a fact of life.

I suggest that you get rid of your helicopter parenting mentality now, try some yoga or meditation, find your zen or whatever. Or you're in for a very loooong, anxiety-ridden 18 years.
    I suggest you stay away from anything else that I post because you are obviously just going to have something negative to say. 
  • Options
    Learning to fall "safely" is an important part of walking.

My 8 month old has been pulling herself up for about a month or so, and moving around furniture for pretty much that whole time. She has only fallen and hurt herself once.  It's honestly not that big a deal, just make sure that if you have hardwood or tile flooring, they aren't wearing socks or a sleeper while they are pulling up.
  • Options
    Your tone is super aggressive - this woman is just looking for some advice about how to keep her kid safe, and you jumped in with unhelpful generalizations espousing your supposedly superior parenting philosophy. I'm not really sure what makes you an expert on what style would be best for anyone's kid but your own...

For the original poster, my daughter is 7 months and doing the same thing, and we have been doing what another poster said - slowly moving further and further away to encourage her to use her nice, padded butt as a landing pad. She gets an occasional bump from falling in the wrong direction, but for the most part she is learning that her butt is a useful tool! Good luck!
    bfp #1- May 2012, ended in chemical @ 5 weeks
    bfp #2- June 2012, ectopic, 2 doses Methotrexate
    bfp #3- February 2013, ended in m/c @ 6 weeks, 2 days
    bfp #4- April 2013, hb detected at 6 weeks; 8/9/13, it's a girl! EDD- 1/7/14 
    Austen Vega born 1/4/14

• Options
    I feel bad for your kid. 
    bfp #1- May 2012, ended in chemical @ 5 weeks
    bfp #2- June 2012, ectopic, 2 doses Methotrexate
    bfp #3- February 2013, ended in m/c @ 6 weeks, 2 days
    bfp #4- April 2013, hb detected at 6 weeks; 8/9/13, it's a girl! EDD- 1/7/14 
    Austen Vega born 1/4/14

• Options
    Yeah well this poster has a reputation on WMs. She doesn't think it's safe for her child to be at her ILs' because there's a 1 year old and an 8 year old there.  Not kidding.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    Falling happens... :-??

Everyone does their best but this is not the only time he could fall.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

I feel bad for your kid. 

Whose kid? Learning to explore without Mommy Dearest wringing her hands in desperation is part of learning to be mobile.

Holy shit, toddler years are going to bitch-slap some of these wilting flower worriers!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    DD2 has already fallen and got a black eye...She cried for like a minute and that was only because Daddy wouldn't put her back down to continue to try to play with the toy she whacked her face off of.

The bruise didn't even phase her.
  • Options
    My DS just turned 7mos has been pulling up for the last 2 wks has fallen and got a bruise on his noggin and kept on going. What I've done to keep my sanity (well more my guilt complex) is lined our room with those foam letter pads. It helps put my mind at ease that his falls wont be as hard. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP 6/9/13... here we go again
  • Options
    @Saltydonut Yes, I have tried lining the room with pillows but he just pulls them down! He got a bruise from his crib rails this morning!  X_X
  • Options
    @MrsMuq I know that and I do not expect him to be in a bubble but at this point he can pull up to standing position and has zero balance and I am much more worried about him hitting his head now than bumps and bruises later. 
  • Options
    My LO fell alot for about a week when she was learning to pull herself up. She got some bruises, but after that week was over, she was way more stable. She rarely falls and hits her head now, instead she will kind of fall and roll. She holds her head up so it won't hit the floor when she falls.

Your LO will learn how to fall safely through getting a few bumps and bruises.
  • Options
    MrsMuq said:
    Yeah well this poster has a reputation on WMs. She doesn't think it's safe for her child to be at her ILs' because there's a 1 year old and an 8 year old there.  Not kidding.
    Said poster also expressed, multiple times, some pretty disgusting and ignorant opinions on people who receive state assistance. So, sorrynotsorry, if she can dish out boatloads of nonsense, she can take some in return.
    Do you know this because you personally make an effort to remember her threads or did you have to go back and look at her responses for ammo?  

• Options
    @MrsMuq Just because you disagree with my opinions does not make them ignorant or baseless or nasty. I could say the same things about your opinions but have not! 
  • Options
    I actually agree with her.  I'm tired of the welfare system.  I myself come from a family who needed government assistance, BUT my parents worked their way out of it.  There are people who work the system 10+ years.  

BTW, its nice how you went back to search for her comments.  You are totally obsessed with her, lol.
  • Options
    Thanks @shaunessa ! And @MrsMuq thanks for reminding me about what I said and how I felt because I still feel that way and you posting that doesnt make me feel any different or bad that I said those things. Because it is my opinion and just as you think my sucks I think yours does too. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"