May 2014 Moms

Nipple shield check-in, haven't seen this topic in awhile.

How is breastfeeding going for those using/who have used a nipple shield? 
Are you still breastfeeding, if so; are you still using the shield? Any plans to ditch it? 
How long are you planning to breastfeed for? 
How are you coping, and if you are pumping how is that going?

I had a freaky dream that I was BFing and fell asleep, and my LO got the nip shield stuck in his mouth. He wasn't choking in my dream but I had to hook my finger into his mouth and fish it out. I decided to try BFing without the nipple shield and to my surprise, he gave it up with ease about a week and a half ago, after just a few days of trying without it. He is now a latching pro, apparently and my nips are faring pretty well all things considered. I am hoping to breastfeed at least another month, hopefully 3 more months if my supply allows. LO will be 3 months on the 21st of this month. I am thrilled to be rid of the thing. I am pumping and supplementing, and I produce about 4 or 5 oz every pumping session, usually every 3-4 hours with feedings in between. On another note...

August 1-7 is World breastfeeding week! 
https://worldbreastfeedingweek.org/index.shtml

I shared that as my status on facebook, and found that if you click to tell it what you are feeling/eating/drinking etc in your status, you can, indeed set your status as 'drinking breast milk'. Totally random but good to know, right? 

I hope all the May mommies are doing well!!
Nikolas Knight 
Born: August 8th, 2009   8lbs 8oz  4:33pm

Nolan Lawrence 
Born: May 21st2014   8lbs 14oz  3:27pm

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. 
One is roots; the other, wings."   -Hodding Carter

Re: Nipple shield check-in, haven't seen this topic in awhile.

• Used one for maybe a month and a half. Are free of it now and nursing is going well. Hoping to make it to a year or so again this time.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• I've had to use one since he was born. Still using it. I had him latch once without it but no luck since. I'm hoping as he gets older, he will realize how to do it. I plan on BFing until he is a year. The shield has not messed up my supply. It is a major pain to have to remember it everywhere, but worth it. I pump once a day for a freezer stash but I go back to work next week so I'll be pumping a lot more.
  • Loading the player...
  • haylo33 said:
    I've had to use one since he was born. Still using it. I had him latch once without it but no luck since. I'm hoping as he gets older, he will realize how to do it. I plan on BFing until he is a year. The shield has not messed up my supply. It is a major pain to have to remember it everywhere, but worth it. I pump once a day for a freezer stash but I go back to work next week so I'll be pumping a lot more.
    @haylo33 I used to keep two spare ones for convenience- one in the diaper bag and one in my purse in case I forgot it at home. :) It never messed with my supply either but I never really made enough milk from day 1. Same as with my DS1 who I also had to use the shield with but he only breastfed for 8 weeks then I pretty much dried up. 
    Nikolas Knight 
    Born: August 8th, 2009   8lbs 8oz  4:33pm

Nolan Lawrence 
    Born: May 21st2014   8lbs 14oz  3:27pm

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. 
    One is roots; the other, wings."   -Hodding Carter
  • I'm still using one, but more for me than DS. He can latch without it but it's very painful and sore after if he does. My supply was always low and I don't think it's any worse because of the nipple shield.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Azlebella said:

haylo33 said:

I've had to use one since he was born. Still using it. I had him latch once without it but no luck since. I'm hoping as he gets older, he will realize how to do it. I plan on BFing until he is a year. The shield has not messed up my supply. It is a major pain to have to remember it everywhere, but worth it. I pump once a day for a freezer stash but I go back to work next week so I'll be pumping a lot more.

@haylo33 I used to keep two spare ones for convenience- one in the diaper bag and one in my purse in case I forgot it at home. :) It never messed with my supply either but I never really made enough milk from day 1. Same as with my DS1 who I also had to use the shield with but he only breastfed for 8 weeks then I pretty much dried up. 

Ya I've spent a pretty penny on those stupid things. They seem so cheap. I have 3 (but can't find one since I got back from vacation) I kept 1 in the house, 1 in my diaper bag and one in my husbands. And is it just me or should they NOT be clear. There have been so many times where I dropped it and couldn't find it haha
  • DS actually weaned himself off last week. He started refusing the shield and only wanted the actual nipple. It surprised me bc with my daughter I used the shield for the whole year that I breastfed. It never bothered me to use the shield and did not affect my supply one bit.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"