May 2014 Moms
Options

How are you getting LO to fall asleep

Yeah yeah I know another sleep post. Just curious, is anyone still having a hard time getting LO to fall asleep? We do our bed routine (bath, diaper, lotion, swaddle, dark ro, white noise) then rock and nurse/comfort nurse to calm down then fall asleep. I start her routine around the same time each night 730ish/when she starts getting fussy. It usually takes a good hour for her to fall asleep! I thought daycare would help but it still takes forever. My first started going to bed around 6 and would fall asleep easily around this age so I am waiting for her to hopefully do the same.

How do you actually get your LO to fall asleep (rock, nurse, bounce, etc.) and how long does it take for him/her to fall asleep? I am wondering for the first night stretch not naps.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How are you getting LO to fall asleep

• Options
    gutsysneakersgutsysneakers member
    edited August 2014
    We're still on the later bedtime routine - it works for us. I nurse her for the last time around 9:30 pm (usually while watching TV with DH). She falls asleep while nursing and I put her in the crib around 10pm. She usually sleeps until between 4-5am although last night it was until 5:45am. 

If we're not in front of the TV, then we're in the nursery in the rocking chair and she falls asleep there. She will usually stir a little bit when I put her in her crib, but she falls back to sleep. 

We do bath time every other night around 8:30 pm and play a little before the 9:30 feed. 

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Junebug060609Junebug060609 member
    edited August 2014
    Boob + swaddle + keeping toddler quiet

It takes anywhere from 30-90 mins, depending on how many times the two year old yells. There is usually just one stretch at night ::ducks for cover::

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Late bedtime here too. We do bath around 7, nurse, then cat nap in the swing while DH and I eat dinner. I've started giving her a bottle of pumped milk for bedtime between 8:30-9pm. If she's not acting tired right after we do some activity, story, etc. As soon as she starts fussing or rubbing her eyes it's swaddle time, then I just walk and rock her to sleep before putting her in the crib. Usually she's out between 10-10:30. I've never been able to put her down awake at night. I can't wait till we can!

Right now she's sleeping about 7-8 hours, so this time works best for us. I probably won't start an earlier bedtime until she's sleeping closer to 12 hours.
    BFP#1 8/3/12~EDD 4/1/13~Natural M/C 9/1/12-9w6d 
    BFP#2 5/30/13~EDD 2/3/14~Confirmed CP 5/31/13
    7/12/13 Hysteroscopy & Lap Lysis of Adhesions
    1st Cycle on Clomid Aug '13: BFP#3 8/24/13~EDD 5/3/14
    Hoping Third Time's a Charm!!- IT'S A GIRL!!!! 
    KAYLIE MARIE IS HERE! BORN 5/4/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie - (nUwf)

All AL-ers welcome in my posts! <3
  • Options
    I have to say I feel lucky in this dept. LO is great about going to bed. For us, we do bath every other night at 8. Then we eat at 8:30 in the glider in the nursery. She's in her sleep sack, lights are off with music and her projector playing. She usually gets sleepy eating if she doesn't completely pass out. Then I wrap her arms up in the blanket thing/ez swaddle and lay her down to watch the projector over the crib. She falls asleep on her own by 9 ish.
  • Options
    DS naps from 7-10ish, then boob and bottle. We change his diaper and swaddle him about 2/3 through his bottle and then finish the bottle, which usually makes him sleepy or falls asleep completely. He usually goes down around 11-11:30 and sleeps until 7.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    spacepotatoesspacepotatoes member
    edited August 2014
    Another later bedtime here. Her bedtime feeding usually happens between 8 and 9. We'll nurse on one side and I'll read her a chapter of whatever book I'm reading. Before offering the other breast, she goes into the swaddle sleep sack. Usually, she's sleepy enough that she'll go down with a bit of rocking after that. If not, we walk slowly around the house saying good night to every random thing to relax her. She likes going up and down stairs and bouncing on the exercise ball. We do a few rounds of that too if needed. It can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour to get her down for the night.  Final bedtime ends up being anywhere from 9 to 11. 

We do a bath a couple of times a week but don't tie it to bedtime anymore because we find that it winds her up rather than relaxes her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Sounds like she's similar to your kiddos...except she still wakes every two hours. Yawn

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    After bed time routine (bath, lotion, dress, read book) that we start around 730, I nurse him and he either falls asleep nursing or I bounce him to sleep after. He is no where close to falling sleep on his own.... idk how we will make that adjustment but at almost 3 months I think we need to figure it out soon. Anyways the entire bed time routine takes anywhere from 30 min to an hour. Some nights he us just not having it and falls asleep between 9-10.... those are fun nights.
  • Options
    Our routine is a bit different.  I feed her first, then its bath time, story, and then into her crib. She is in bed by 7-7:30.  I think the beneficial part for DD is that she has learned how to put herself to sleep rather than falling asleep with the bottle (or boob).  I know this won't work for all babies, but it worked for her almost instantly.   We started that sometime around 4-6 weeks.

You mentioned that you start the routine when she gets fussy.  Have you thought about starting earlier before she gets fussy?
  • Options
    I'm so glad I saw this post. It takes us an hour or so sometimes and thought I was doing something wrong. But it sounds like that's pretty normal. We do bath, lotion, footie pjs and then nursing while bouncing on the exercise ball or walking around. She has to be compleatly out before putting her in the crib or she smacks herself awake and cries.

• Options
    Oh bedtime is anywhere from 7:30 to 8:40ish

• Options
    apinkpelicanapinkpelican member
    edited August 2014
    We start bedtime routine around 8:30ish. Bath. Lotion and chatting/cooing. Nurse. Lights are off. Noise machine and ceiling fan on. She gets pretty sleepy most of the time. I put her fine awake and she falls asleep usually within 5 minutes. I don't know how we got her to do this. Just tried it a few times and was amazed that she fell asleep on own. She is usually asleep by 9:30.
  • Options
    We start our routine pending the approximate time he will nurse around 8 pm. We bathe, outside walk with daddy, get arms out swaddle on, nurse, and snuggle to sleep. Once he's out, I deposit him in the co sleeper. He usually wakes, adjusts, and will doze off. We've finally just had success in the last week.
  • Options
    We start about 615. Bath,lotion,pjs,bottle,snuggle/rock and bed by 7. Then I wake him about 9 to change his diaper and eat about another couple ounces and he's out too 4-5 then back down til 730/8. He's been like this since 8 weeks and we are going on 14 weeks. We just ended up doing the same routine every day and he's got it down! Except we are teething and he's been a little fussy so we are definitely using our 5 s' for sure!
  • Options
    springbeduk2springbeduk2 member
    edited August 2014
    Nurses to sleep. Doing so now for the second time as she woke up the first time I tried to move her after she fell asleep. Usually between 9:30 and 10:30 though I'd like to make that earlier as we have to start getting upper way earlier pretty soon.

Cluster feeding (now with some play with daddy time) while dh and I eat dinner (we eat late and sit in the couch to eat) is apparently a key part of her bedtime routine - when I tried to get her to sleep one night when I hadn't eaten dinner yet it totally failed.

Eta: She falls asleep while nursing more quickly if I hold her hand but then I can't read or type. Dilemma.
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • Options
    We start at 6:30: bath, lotion/pjs, story, nurse, swaddle, rock/bounce/walk until she's asleep then down into her bassinet. Usually it takes about an hour on a good night and she's asleep by 7:30 or 8. Sometimes it takes until 9. Occasionally she will wake up after we put her down and just be up for a few hours. Other times she will stir and put herself back to sleep, or fuss/cry and need to be rocked back to sleep. No night is exactly the same. 

Welcomed our rainbow baby 5/20/2014! It's a girl!

• Options
    ns1ns1 member
    We do boob, swaddle, paci, rocking, place in crib passed out, and stealthy ninja sneak away.

But we've never had a bedtime that "worked" and our longest stretch of sleep was five hours for three nights three weeks ago. Our typical long stretch of sleep is two hours, and for the past two nights our long stretch had been 1.5 hours followed by thirty minutes and then followed by me+baby in rocking chair... so don't follow my routine.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We try to stick to the same routine with DS. Lately though he hadn't been sleeping the best. Usually we give a bath, put on lullabies, bottle, swaddle and white noise. The past week he will wake after an hour of sleeping and I have to nurse and rock him. Bedtime starts at 7:30 but he usually doesn't fall asleep till 8:30ish.
  • Options
    Lild09Lild09 member
    edited August 2014
    This is our problem! Honestly my DH didn't get it til tonight that we need to put him down around the same time so that he gives us his 9 hour stretch. DH had to watch this half time thing and ds didn't go down til past 10 and I'm now up at 430 nursing and ticked off! I told him we have to have him down by 830/9 every night, he needs routine and everywhere you read says early is better they sleep longer. Grrr totally venting bc our guy will sleep his stretch from 830-9 to 630/7. Of course DH can sleep now while I nurse right?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Around 8:45-9ish I make a bottle bring him up to his room change his diaper and him into his pajamas. Then we rock in the chair and he eats while listening to some music. Then after he is done eating I burp him and he falls asleep usually like 10mins after he is done eating. I wait like 5mins after that and then I put him in his crib and that's when I swaddle him with arms out. And he stirs for like a min or so, but then goes back to sleep. And every other night we have a bath, so I would do a bath at 8:30 and then start the night time routine.

I developed this routine since the day we got home from the hospital, but it first started at like 10-1030ish and I've been pushing it back slowly.

He used to sleep from 9:30-5:30, but he is going through a leap and now he sleeps from 9-915 to 3:30
  • Options
    I'm really envious of most of you. I try to have a bedtime every night, usually beginning around 8-9. She fights it and sometimes like last night, it can take hours. She just has so much trouble going to sleep. I'm kind of at a loss. She usually gives me a good stretch once she's finally down but that's my only saving grace at this point.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"