Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Convertible car seat ins and outs

Do convertible car seats have a base that can be placed in different vehicles so you can move the car seat to whomevers car? Or do you have to buy multiple car seats rather than undo and redo the LATCH mechanisms each time someone else is transporting? I've read many reviews, but still haven't decided on a convertible car seat. Which one do you have? Would you recommend it?

Re: Convertible car seat ins and outs

• Options
    Nope, no base. We recently got an Evenflo Symphony DLX (which I love) and it has the quick connect latch, which makes it extremely easy to install and uninstall. We only switch it between cars maybe once a week, so it's NBD to switch it, but if I had to do it every day I'd definitely get two seats.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Okay, thanks girls. Unfortunately, I guess we'll be buying a few car seats.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    There are two that have bases but they're short lives and expensive. You can buy two longer lasting seats for the price of one with a base. Do you need help choosing one?
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    Pinkie78 said:
    We are in the market for one to replace a seat that is expiring. We went to Buy buy baby to talk to the sales people and they were helpful. They highly recommended the diono radian models, were less thrilled with chicco next fit (claimed kids tend to outgrow them height wise), really didn't love the graco (not sure why) and spoke highly of the recaro which I never heard of so i am reading more. I know sales people can have an agenda :) but liked hearing what they had to say. We have 2 britax models now and are not opposed to getting another round about or marathon. Our blvd is too bulky and would not buy another. Just sharing what I have learned thus far :).
    With the exception of the Radian, the people you spoke with are ill informed and actually lied.  They talked out of their collective asses.  The NextFit is the second (actually maybe third now that the Graco4Ever is available) longest rear facing seat available.  The Graco models are THE longest rear facing seats available so I don't know what their beef is with those.  Recaros aren't highly recommended at all.  They're short lived and their seat pan is so shallow that there is almost zero leg room and getting kids in and out requires bending them.  People call it toddler origami. 

• Options
    elmoali said:
    Pinkie78 said:
    We are in the market for one to replace a seat that is expiring. We went to Buy buy baby to talk to the sales people and they were helpful. They highly recommended the diono radian models, were less thrilled with chicco next fit (claimed kids tend to outgrow them height wise), really didn't love the graco (not sure why) and spoke highly of the recaro which I never heard of so i am reading more. I know sales people can have an agenda :) but liked hearing what they had to say. We have 2 britax models now and are not opposed to getting another round about or marathon. Our blvd is too bulky and would not buy another. Just sharing what I have learned thus far :).
    With the exception of the Radian, the people you spoke with are ill informed and actually lied.  They talked out of their collective asses.  The NextFit is the second (actually maybe third now that the Graco4Ever is available) longest rear facing seat available.  The Graco models are THE longest rear facing seats available so I don't know what their beef is with those.  Recaros aren't highly recommended at all.  They're short lived and their seat pan is so shallow that there is almost zero leg room and getting kids in and out requires bending them.  People call it toddler origami. 

@elmoali is wise! Never take what sales people say at those places. Often times they are trained to sell certain seats (I'm looking at you BRU). Seriously, CSFTL is pretty much the car seat place to go. I'm a tech and I still learn so much through them. Personally my favorite seats are: Chicco Nextfit, Graco Headwise/MySize/Size4Me/4Ever, Diono Radian r120/RXT/Pacifica/Olympus, Clek Foonf (though there is a new Clek convertible coming out too).
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Oh yes I need help choosing one. Thanks for the info. Any additional opinions are welcome!!
  • Options
    @nanaosaki06‌ - the CSFTL website was very helpful. Thank you! I'm leaning towards one of the Graco convertibles....65 or 70...my ride, my size, etc..can anyone help differentiate these? Having the highest weight and or height limits isn't a priority for me as my lil munchkins will likely always be on the petite side.
  • Options
    The older models of the Gracos are the 70s.  Testing requirements changed so now they're rated to 65 pounds but they're the same seat.  If you find a 70 it's fine to use but it should be discounted since it'll be slightly older.  The MyRide is not the same as the MySize/Size4Me/Headwise/Contender.  The Ride is shorter lived and bulky so it's not highly recommended.  

• Options
    Thank you, @elmoali‌! I'll check out the later, then.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm digging the MySize right now for peeps with a budget. It's a great seat and will last a long time RF and a long time FF. So it's a great choice. Plus with it being reduced a bit and with sales and coupons it's a bargain.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've narrowed my search down to the Britax Marathon (or Advocate), the Chicco nextfit, and/or (because we're going to need two) the graco mysize. Any input? @nanaosaki06‌? Thank you!!
  • Options
    I dislike Britax convertible car seats on the whole. They aren't bad seats, but they are not worth the extra money you pay for them. They are very short shelled and will not last you nearly as long RFing as the other 2 seats stated. I know many sales people and other parents will tell you how amazing they are, but they just aren't compared to other seats on the market. 4 years ago when the recs changed, sure. As for the other 2 seats stated I personally prefer the Nextfit. It's super easy to install, no rethread harness, and is very tall shelled. The bonus to all that is that it's also very compact front to back, so if you have a smaller car then it would work well. The Graco is perfectly fine though and technically has the taller shell than the Nextfit. I just don't enjoy installing them as much. If I personally was going to buy someone a new seat as a gift, I'd get the Nextfit.
  • Options
    Thanks, @nanaosaki06‌ ...it can be cumbersome to navigate all these car seats... appreciate your opinion!
  • Options
    I was choosing between the chicco nextfit, maxi cosi pria, and graco my size 65, and we went with the chicco nextfit. It was the smallest of the three but has great rear facing limits and it's very easy to install.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"