Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Need some Lo carb or no carb meal/snack ideas

Took dd to the dr today for her 15mth ck up (she will be 16mth on the 6th) and he says she is doing great, 90th percentile. I showed some concern to him about her " large" belly. He really wasn't concerned he said prob fluids, carbs or sugar lol.. Well it's def the carbs cause she doesn't eat sugary things and never has had juice or anything but dd loves carb items for breakfast and she also loves carb sides with dinner. She eats plenty of veggies and fruits but I need to switch things up a bit and I'm looking for low carb or carb free meal/snack ideas. Btw dd is 26lbs and 32" long. I'm also curious to see what other kids weight and height are. Thanks!

Re: Need some Lo carb or no carb meal/snack ideas

• Options
    well im not sure i would be "cutting carbs" with a child, but if your toddler is filling up on lots of nutrition-less carbs (like puffs, crackers, packaged cereal, white bread, anything made by gerber, etc.), it wouldn't hurt to start subbing some foods with more nutritional value (including carbohydrates). Have you tried hummus with veggies or whole grain pita? cottage cheese or plain yogurt with or without fruit? whole grain mac n cheese? cut up chicken or turkey cubes/sticks? scrambled eggs? whole grain pizza with veggies? whole grain pasta with meat sauce? apples or bananas with peanut butter? tortilla rollups with meat and cheese? black beans out of a can?
  • Options
    I just aim for balanced meals/snacks all the time-- every time she eats it has protein, fat, and carb elements.  So no plain crackers, bread, etc-- I always serve carby things with something like peanut butter, cheese, tofu, yogurt, turkey or hummus  as well as a veggie or fruit.  

that said, as long as your kid is active and playing/running around a lot and eating fruits and vegetables (and not a bunch of junk), I wouldn't worry too much if it is just at one visit-- she'll likely thin out once she gets taller-- they tend to go in spurts.  if it is an issue at multiple visits in a row, then I think it is worth worrying about foods-- but if she is a pretty healthy eater, then I wouldn't worry too much now.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    90th percentile for just weight? What is it for height? DD is 98th for both and has a little tiny pot belly. She also eats a wide variety of foods and has 2-3 ounces of watered down juice 3-4 times a week, milk and water. She's 16 months and weighs 27 pounds. We don't watch tv so she's pretty active with other things most of the day.
  • Options

DD is 16 months 27lb and just under 32" with a pot belly. She is perfectly healthy and I would never consider putting her on a diet! If my pediatrician told me to put my toddler on a diet I might be looking for another pediatrician.

However, ITA that empty carbs are not great all the time, birthdays and holidays are fine but I think cutting out empty carbs from every day consumption is good. We don't eat many carbs in our house and what carbs we do eat are sprouted or soaked in whey. I soak all nuts, seeds legumes, rice, oatmeal and flours before cooking with to break down the phytic acids and if I buy bread it is sprouted. Sometimes we'll bend our soaking/sprouting rule but we don't eat much of these things on a daily basis anyway.

As far as meal/snack ideas go, DD eats whatever i have around that DH and i snack on, mostly fruit and veggies. We usually have an outing in the am and then she naps and then we stay home all afternoon and evening. So her first snack is something convenient to carry around; a piece/serving of fruit (banana, blueberries, grapes, apple, pear, etc) And her second snack is something else, slices of roast beef with carrot sticks or cucumber slices and cheese, pulled roasted chiken etc. The rest of the time she eats what we eat; eggs for breakfast and meat and veg for lunch and dinner.

I hope this helps. I think cutting out empty carbs is a great idea but don't be surprised when your toddler's belly sticks around until early childhood. It's not carbs or sugars, it's just a toddler belly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Please do not put your child on a low carb diet. If she's not eating tons of sugar or lots of empty calories like juice or candy she's fine. Feed her well-rounded meals with protein, complex carbs, and nutrient rich vegetables. And let her have a treat once in awhile.

We all have our body insecurities, but putting them on a toddler - and then putting that toddler on a diet - is way over the line IMO.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DD has a nice round belly and I think it's absolutely adorable.
    But I agree w/PPs about avoiding "empty" carbs.  Just make sure you're offering fruits, veggies, protein in addition to carbs instead of cutting them out all together.
    Avoid being "concerned" about your daughter's appearances.  She'll pick up on that at an early age...
  • Options

"pot bellies" in toddlers is rarely a weight issue, it's their internal organs shifting around...during certain stages of development the organs are just in the softer part of the belly and cause the pot belly effect.

Even if it is a true 'pot belly' stop paying attention to it.  As many have said feed your child wisely, not on a low carb and especially not a no carb diet.  Avoid empty carbs, Load up the carbs with proteins and just let your child be healthy and active and care free.

Unless the doctor came to you and said he is concerned because your child has had a great increase in weight and not height and that the weight is drastically above height in percentiles then you should not be focussing on this.  It will likely only set your child up for eating issues later in life.

Toddlers just don't have the same body shape as grown adults, or even older children.

• Options
    Thanks ladies! I am in no way, shape or form trying to put my dd on a diet or eliminate carbs. I am just looking for some "healthier" options/ideas. I am definitely going to continue giving her carbs, i am not trying to remove them all together i am really looking for ideas for different meals and snacks that are not full of "empty" carbs. I like the hummus idea and lots of other ones given here.
  • Options
    I am going to come out and guess you have body issues yourself? Almost every post you have made is asking what to feed your kid or asking how big every other baby is. 

Feed your child food. Well rounded diets include carbs. 

Include lots of veggies, fruit, protein, and grain. Your child will naturally gravitate toward carbs. Try serving them last. DD gets her veggies first, then proteins get put on her plate, then carbs. This is not to give her a lower calorie diet, it is to ensure she is getting the vitamins and minerals needed from veggies. If she sees rice/bread/cereal, she will only want that. This is how I avoid mealtime meltdowns. 

DO NOT put your toddler on a diet. Just feed them well rounded meals. Everything will balance out in the end. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Options
    I am going to come out and guess you have body issues yourself? Almost every post you have made is asking what to feed your kid or asking how big every other baby is. 

Feed your child food. Well rounded diets include carbs. 

Include lots of veggies, fruit, protein, and grain. Your child will naturally gravitate toward carbs. Try serving them last. DD gets her veggies first, then proteins get put on her plate, then carbs. This is not to give her a lower calorie diet, it is to ensure she is getting the vitamins and minerals needed from veggies. If she sees rice/bread/cereal, she will only want that. This is how I avoid mealtime meltdowns. 

DO NOT put your toddler on a diet. Just feed them well rounded meals. Everything will balance out in the end.

I find your remark rather presumptuous. To assume someone has "body issues" is rather rude IMO. I am a first time parent and come to this board for advice and guidance. I have asked many things other than food and size so you are incorrect. Furthermore I clearly stated above I am NOT trying to put my child on a diet and that I am looking for other options and ideas of things to include into her meals/snacks.
  • Options
    homebirdhomebird member
    edited August 2014
    If your doctor isn't concerned, I wouldn't be. Lots of toddlers have big bellies, at least from what I've seen. I wouldn't be putting your kid on a diet.

Here are normal "snack" items we offer at the house: string cheese, clementines, peaches, apples, graham bunnies (Annie's brand), bananas & peanut butter, hummus and pieces of pita, carrots, ants on a log, etc.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Options
    dkny155 said:
    I find your remark rather presumptuous. To assume someone has "body issues" is rather rude IMO. I am a first time parent and come to this board for advice and guidance. I have asked many things other than food and size so you are incorrect. Furthermore I clearly stated above I am NOT trying to put my child on a diet and that I am looking for other options and ideas of things to include into her meals/snacks.
    Ehh - I had the window open typing when you posted your 'not diet' remark. I never saw it. 

TBH, ftm or not, your seem very concerned about your child's size. Feed your kid a well rounded diet and you will be fine.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"