November 2014 Moms
Options

Baby Monitors

Ok I apologize but I suck at searching. I seriously just tried searching this topic, and it brought up tons of comments that even mentioned the words "baby monitor." If this is repetitive, please just copy the link to where I should be looking below.

If it's not repetitive, what baby monitor would you recommend? I already added the Snuza to our registry, but was looking for a monitor as well. Do you recommend video or just sound? Thanks!

Re: Baby Monitors

• Options
    rox825rox825 member
    I gave H the task of researching and choosing a baby monitor and this Levana Jena is what he went with.  The Baby Bargains book says that this brand's newer models (including this one) are pretty good and the reviews are decent, but we obviously haven't used it yet!  We decided to go with video for the added reassurance once the baby is sleeping in the nursery.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
    Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
    Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
    Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

• Options
    We are going with the infant optics dxr8, as it has had consistently the most and highest reviews (look up the dxr5 its predecessor on amazon). Otherwise the Motorola came in second for us.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mb314mb314 member
    I never found a video monitor to be worth it, given the price.  We got the basic Sony Baby Call monitor for DS and it works just fine.  I have never regretted not getting a video monitor, particularly since DS slept in our room for the first 8 months.

• Options

We got a Motorola video monitor for free with our Airmiles points - we never use them for any other purpose so I thought we might as well. The website I linked below has good reviews of both sound and video monitors :)

https://www.babygearlab.com/Baby-Monitor-Reviews

• Options
    rox825rox825 member

We will probably just get a basic audio monitor. You can't be staring at the screen all the time anyway. I have heard that the video monitors could be hacked into, anyone know if there is any truth to that?

Certain kinds yes, certain kinds no. That's one of the things I had H look into. I don't know how but with some yes I think it's possible.

TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
    Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
    Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
    Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

• Options
    Have you heard of Dropcam? (It's kind of like a Nannycam but more sophisticated). We originally got one to keep an eye on the kitties when we went on trips out of town, and we could keep track of what was going on at the house from the Dropcam app on our iPhones. You can buy as many Dropcams as you want for any room in the house. When we found out we were expecting we just bought a second one for the baby's room. You can hear and see everything going on in the room that you have the camera set up in, and keep tabs from the app on your phone from anywhere. We like the idea of being able to "spy" on the baby if we go out for a date some night and leave baby with a babysitter. They are a little pricey, but worth it. Good luck on your search! There are lots of good options out there.
  • Options
    We got the v-tech video monitor. It's amazing. I will always recommend a video monitor, it helps my sanity oh so much!
  • Options
    rox825 said:
    We will probably just get a basic audio monitor. You can't be staring at the screen all the time anyway. I have heard that the video monitors could be hacked into, anyone know if there is any truth to that?
    Certain kinds yes, certain kinds no. That's one of the things I had H look into. I don't know how but with some yes I think it's possible.
    Any monitor that is wi-fi enabled can be hacked into.  So we didn't do that!

We registered for a video monitor, but were iffy as to whether it was necessary.  I've got to say, I babysat for a friend with just an audio monitor and felt totally BLIND without video.  It was very helpful for me, personally, to be able to look at the monitor to determine the reason for DD's cries (sometimes babies are just loud - and you don't want to wake them because they're being loud).  Also, once we got to the point of doing CIO, it was helpful to see that DD was actually calming down.  There were times that I was about to head into her room, only to see on the monitor that she was actually starting to lay down.  She would go from 100% volume crying to asleep in just a few minutes.  

We had a Motorola model for DD.  After 2.5 years of use, the night vision is no longer working.  Of course, we don't use it much now, and audio-only would be fine at this point (sometimes she starts asking for water or something like that, and we like to get it to her before she leaves the room).

Other people never have monitors, but this is one luxury we wouldn't want to pass on.  I see the new models allow for panning the room and zoom - way cool!  (and useful!  DD always managed to sleep just out of range of the video, but a small adjustment would have found her).

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We got a Motorola video monitor for free with our Airmiles points - we never use them for any other purpose so I thought we might as well. The website I linked below has good reviews of both sound and video monitors :)

We got this one too with our air miles points :)

Kaitlyn - born November 7, 2014
  • Options
    We have a Summer Infant video monitor and love it. Like PP said it's nice to be able to see why DD is crying and not to head into the room and escalate the crying. Especially right she is going through a little bit of a sleep regression so being able to peek using the monitor in the middle of the night to see if she's just fussing in her sleep or whether she is up and needs some comfort makes a big difference. I highly recommend getting a video monitor if at all possible (one that can't be hacked of course).

It's also just fun to stare at them when they sleep. :-)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    jac409jac409 member

I have read about this too and that is why we didn't get one. We have a basic Summer Infant audio monitor and it has always worked just fine for us. I have never regretted not having the video monitor, though I know a lot of people really like them.
  • Options
    I have a question about video monitors (and/or audio)... not to thread jack the OP, but we live in a 2 bedroom in a 4 plex so it's all one level. The bedrooms are next to each other. Is it necessary for me to get any kind of monitor? 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Options
    I planned on getting a Snuza based off the feedback here and was dreading having another big research project. So when I noticed they have the Snuza Trio now that offers the alert with audio and video, I called it good.
  • Options

@Kristil2014 - I wish they had more good stuff on airmiles for babies! We honestly never use those points for flights so we have a ton.

• Options

@Kristil2014 - I wish they had more good stuff on airmiles for babies! We honestly never use those points for flights so we have a ton.

Awhile back they had a peg high chair that we also picked up. They also had a peg convertible car seat that I wanted, but was too late in ordering. Keep checking out the airmiles site, more good baby stuff is bound to get listed.

• Options

Awhile back they had a peg high chair that we also picked up. They also had a peg convertible car seat that I wanted, but was too late in ordering. Keep checking out the airmiles site, more good baby stuff is bound to get listed.
    I saw the high chair! I was going to look into it actually. (Wow we totally hijacked this threat - sorry ladies!)

• Options
    Sorry ladies for hijacking the thread.
  • Options
    dmo1371 said:
    I have a question about video monitors (and/or audio)... not to thread jack the OP, but we live in a 2 bedroom in a 4 plex so it's all one level. The bedrooms are next to each other. Is it necessary for me to get any kind of monitor? 
    My house is super small.  It's only 750 square feet, and the two rooms are right next to each other.  Still love the video monitor.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    dmo1371 said:

We have a pretty small one level as well and our boys' bedrooms are directly next to our room. I still can't imagine not having a video monitor. My boys are 3.5 and 2 and I still use it every night.

I have had some issues with my summer video monitor but have heard great things about the Motorola ones.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I got a security camera that links video to my phone and iPad and Nexus tab. I work for a technology company and one of my vendors hooked me up with it and a second one to put at SIL's house so DH and I can log in from work and see them playing when she starts nannying. I also registered for the Levana movement sensor thingy.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have a dropcam for the dog but not using for baby-- caveat is that is uses your network wifi, so its competing with all devices. Often had lagging or drop issues.
  • Options

jac409 said:

I have read about this too and that is why we didn't get one. We have a basic Summer Infant audio monitor and it has always worked just fine for us. I have never regretted not having the video monitor, though I know a lot of people really like them.

This exactly. I figure that if there is no wire connected to the monitor somebody somewhere could hack into it, which creeps me out. Our basic audio monitor works just fine. After a few weeks I could tell the difference in their cries (hungry, hurt, upset, etc) so I never felt it was an issue.
    Miney 9/15/10
    Mo 11/4/14 
    Wait, What?!? - EDD 11/1/19
    Mothers get 1 day off

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"