April 2015 Moms
Options

First doctor's visit

Hello everyone!

My husband and I JUST found out that we were pregnant yesterday morning.  We had been trying for quite a while so it was a surprise and a blessing!

We are going to wait a while before we share the news with anyone.  After a long year of trying we still believe it might be too good to be true. However, I have some questions I wish I could ask someone who has gone through it!  I feel like I have done nothing for the past two days but look up information on pregnancy! :)

I have my first doctors visit on August 13th, right at the 6 week mark.  I know that this appointment will be mostly about gathering information and talking about what is to come.  Should my husband plan on attending that appointment? I don't want to bring him if he won't get anything out of it. 

Thanks everyone!  I am excited to be here! 

Best Answers

• Loading the player...

Answers

• Options
    Thanks everyone!  That is every helpful! 
  • Options
    Ditto what most of the others said, the first appointment is really like a regular visit to the GYN for me with the exception of confirmation of pregnancy!  DH doesn't go to any of the appointments except the ultrasounds!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I am so glad you asked this! DH and I weren't sure if he should come. He is excited to be involved, but after reading what others have said, it sounds like he wouldn't be missing much this time.

P.S. Congratulations! Glad to have other first time moms to talk to :)

• Options
    My appt is tue. I will pee in a cup, give a little info, get a due date even though I know it, a trans vaginal us, a pap and prob a script for bloodwork. My Dh is coming. He came to most of my appointments with our first as long as it didn't interfere with work.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I would call the office and speak with a nurse to find out for sure what will happen, every office is very different. For me a 6 week appt would be peeing in a cup, filling out family history forms and getting billing info

Baby Girl Lennon born sleeping 6-18-11 Baby Boy Anderson born healthy and happy 8-17-12 Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My husband only goes to the appointments when the do ultrasounds. The other appointments really aren't all that exciting.
  • Options
    My hubby went to one appt last time and it was the first one because I always get an early u/s due to having a tubal pregnancy earlier. Other than that, he never went. But they're kinda boring lol. Oh! And the gender reveal - he went to that one too
  • Options
    If this is your first and you have no pre-existing health issues, then I would probably have your hubby skip the appointment. There is a chance they might do an ultrasound, but they might also not do one. My first appointments have been different than most people's because I am high risk, and have some health issues that arise during pregnancy. So I usually do the blood test, pee in a cup, discuss a plan of treatment with my OB, then get an ultrasound. 
    Baby #1: EDD:  5/31/08   DD born sleeping due to severe preeclampsia at 22 weeks 1/26/08
    Baby #2: EDD:  4/28/09   DS#1
    Baby #3: EDD:  5/26/11   DS#2
    Baby #4  EDD:  4/1/2015 

• Options
    My OH only comes to appointments involving ultrasounds. Otherwise everything is pretty standard, pee in a cup weight blood pressure questions concerns, it's up to you tho :)
  • Options
    Just made my first apt and they changed it from last time. They now do a 7wk US first then schedule you to come back at 8 or 9wks to do the first apt with blood work and all. I'm so excited I get the 7wk US...puts me at ease knowing everything is going ok!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"