Special Needs

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for ASD/anxiety

Can anyone tell me about this? What age to start? I've read about It and from that it sounds like something to consider for my DS. Any personal experience?

Re: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for ASD/anxiety

• Auntie, can you explain what your son's treatment looked like at age 6? Was it sitting in a doctor's office one:one discussing areas of anxiety? Did the psych help him reframe his way of thinking? I'm having a hard time picturing  how my son would benefit from it at this age. When I asked our dev. pedi about it he was thoroughly confused (not about CBT, about DS meeting with a psych one:one). He thought DS could benefit from group therapy of some sort but didn't see the value of one:one yet. Is CBT done both ways?
  • blondegirl74blondegirl74 member
    edited July 2014
    Thanks Auntie, yes, my son also has no language delay and is mainstreamed. He has anxiety around everyday things and he's also shy which doesn't help. I guess my question to is what this therapy looks like at a young age. Edited to add, we have several providers here but no real explanations of what it is, just what it helps. Before I contact a provider I wanted to have a picture of what this would look like, know what I mean?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"