May 2014 Moms

Baby only naps when held. Any advice?

So LO is a great nighttime sleeper - usually sleeps from 8:30 to 4:30, then goes down again until 6:30. But she has a really difficult time falling asleep and staying asleep in the daytime. I get only a 40 minute nap, tops, and only if I hold and rock her. I have tried everything to help her sleep in the day - Dark room, white noise, swaddle, rock to sleep, nurse to sleep, rock n play, etc. She sleeps swaddled at night and I can't even think about trying to set her down without a swaddle. She also hates her swing. Sometimes she sleeps in the carrier but she only tolerates a ring sling and it's killing my back, so I can't really wear her all day. I cut out dairy and soy, and LO is taking prevacid for reflux. So i guess my question for BTDT moms is if you had a baby like this, when did they start to sleep better in the daytime/not need you to hold them to sleep? I love her but she wants to be held pretty much all day, and it is hard to get anything done.
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}

Re: Baby only naps when held. Any advice?

• Sounds like a normal baby at this age. I'm in the same boat.

DS sleeps like a champ at night. On his back in his bed. Dark and white noise.

Daytime he fusses and sleeps on me in my carrier or sling. Even with dark and white noise. My back is starting to feel the strain too. Luckily I can sit once he falls asleep. Which is what I'm currently doing ;)

However. I still have trouble reading his first I'm tired cue. I seem to miss it or haven't figured out what it is. I usually see the yawm first. Then eye rubbing. If its too late he whines and gets overtired and then will melt down. He fell asleep on his play mat today ALL BY HIMSELF lol ugh. So I'm thinking I'm missing the first cue to put him in his bed. Might be that first yawn.

Hang in there. Babies are hard.
  • aimee223 said:

My first baby was like this. I was able to move him from napping while being held to napping while laying down in bed next to me, then we got to the point where I could leave him on the bed and he'd stay asleep (with body pillows along the edges of the bed and a video monitor), and then eventually got him napping in his crib when he started being more mobile.

She will nap if I side lie nurse in bed with her. Once or twice I've managed to sneak away, but usually she wakes up if I unlatch her. What age did your first LO grow out of it? I know every baby is different but I guess I'm just looking for some anecdotal info.
  • Loading the player...
  • Dd is the same way. I mean shes always in a good mood after i lay her down and She wakes up. Rarely i can get her to stay asleep in the swing but not often. Stresses me out though bc im.afraid it will always be this way. Fingers crossed they all grow out of it!

She is also a great night time sleeper. 730-430 then back down.
    Anniversary 

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've started having DD nap on her stomach. She sleeps deeper and longer this way. I know, the horrors of stomach sleeping....

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @aimee223‌ I so wish she would take a paci - we've tried tons of different kinds, but she just has no interest in them. Good to hear there was an end in sight!

@Jcrewgirl85‌ - I've tried to have her nap on her stomach and had no luck. She seems to need motion to keep her asleep in the day (I'm usually gently rocking or bouncing her when she sleeps on me).
  • Sounds like she's fighting sleep and I'd lay her down on a tshirt that you just wore that smells like you/milk so that while she's sleeping she thinks you're still there. DD fought sleep something awful during the day until I did this and she sleeps at night in her swaddler as I'm assuming I nurse her before bed, in the middle of the night and then her bassinet is next to myside of the bed so she can't get away from things that smell like me. Good luck!!!
  • @kimberlykl2009 - have you tried the swing on the highest speed?  That's the only way DD will sleep in the swing.  DD also doesn't take pacis well but the wubbanub has been working lately since it stays in when I put her on her back.

@Jcrewgirl85 - at DD's 2 month appointment the doctor said it was perfectly fine at 2 months to let DD nap on her stomach as long as we were watching.  Unfortunately DD hates being on her stomach! 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• @flojo973‌ - doesn't matter the setting on the swing she totally hates it, which is weird to me because she always wants me to be rocking her. I'll try the wubanub! Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"