Infertility
Options

Too Cold Meds?

AMSharkAMShark member
edited July 2014 in Infertility
I'm freaking out just a little right now.  I bring little cottage cheeses to work almost every day, and today I opened it up at my desk, and it was frozen solid.  So, something is wrong with my refrigerator - maybe the setting somehow just got knocked down to a low temperature.
... but now I'm really worried about the meds I have stored in the fridge.  I have a half vial of reconstituted Gonal F in the fridge, along with 1.5 vials of Omintrope, and a great big stack of Cetrotide.  The Omnitrope alone was over $600, and it has all kinds of warnings on it (Keep out of light; Don't shake; Store between 36F - 46F).

I called my husband, and he said his cottage cheese was not frozen, but it was yesterday (Oh, hey, thanks for telling me).  So, it could just be one spot in the fridge.
I commute about an hour to work each day, so if I go home to check my fridge, I'll pretty much have to call this day a loss & take it as a vacation day, as it will be two hours round trip.

Am I overreacting?  Should I call the pharmacy?  has this kind of thing happened to anyone else?

*** Ticker Warning ***

Me: 37, DH: 39, TTC 5 yrs

2013 summary: Diagnosed with Hypothyroid; Cervical polyp removed (benign); 
2 rounds ovidrel with timed intercourse (no result): 3 rounds IUI with clomid + ovidrel (no result)
2014 summary (to date):
IVF cycle 1 - ER: 4/17 (28 follicles, 3 fertilized, 2 survived to day 3);
ET: 4/20 (3rd day, 2 embryos - 1 @ 6 cells & 1 @ 4 cells); Beta 5/1 - BFP!; 
1st scan 5/13 - development behind, no heartbeat detected; D&C 6/2; WTF 6/13
IVF cycle 2 - BCP begun 7/12; stims w/ HGH begun 7/26; 
ER: 8/6, 12 follicles, 7 fertilized w/ ICSI; ET: 8/11, 3 blastocysts left, 2 transferred, 3rd arrested 8/12 - none to freeze :'(
1st beta 8/19 - BFP! 294; 2nd beta 8/26 - 4976; 1st u/s 9/2; 2nd u/s 9/9 - two little heartbeats at 140 each!!! 
EDD: 29-April-2015
Other Meds: Synthroid 100 mcg/daily

imageimageimage
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Too Cold Meds?

• Options
    Sha259Sha259 member
    Don't panic. :) In most cases, cold is much much better than hot for these types of meds.

Go home and check your fridge, if you keep your meds in the door I can pretty much assure you that they will not freeze. If you are keeping them towards the back of your fridge, you may want to move them closer to the front.

If you get home and find any of your meds frozen, call the REs office and ask their advise.

I'm sure you're fine though, don't worry too much.
  • Options
    I have the same fears.  Mine are in the door, because we have some weird freezing spots.  I actually put a tiny glass container of water next to the meds so I could monitor it.

Here's why I wouldn't go home: if it's frozen...that already happened and there is nothing you can do about it. 

FX that when you get home, everything is fine!
    Me: 34 | He: 40
    TTC since 08/2012
    DX: DOR

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  I am definitely not going to work late tonight, and I will definitely make some space on the door for my meds.  I also like the idea of a glass of water to monitor the temp.

Honestly, I don't even know what's on the door now.  A lot of random condiments, and things you buy for one recipe and then forget - salad dressing, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, oyster sauce, fish sauce, ...... whatever... and mostly from 2009 or earlier :P 

*** Ticker Warning ***

Me: 37, DH: 39, TTC 5 yrs

2013 summary: Diagnosed with Hypothyroid; Cervical polyp removed (benign); 
    2 rounds ovidrel with timed intercourse (no result): 3 rounds IUI with clomid + ovidrel (no result)
    2014 summary (to date):
    IVF cycle 1 - ER: 4/17 (28 follicles, 3 fertilized, 2 survived to day 3);
    ET: 4/20 (3rd day, 2 embryos - 1 @ 6 cells & 1 @ 4 cells); Beta 5/1 - BFP!; 
    1st scan 5/13 - development behind, no heartbeat detected; D&C 6/2; WTF 6/13
    IVF cycle 2 - BCP begun 7/12; stims w/ HGH begun 7/26; 
    ER: 8/6, 12 follicles, 7 fertilized w/ ICSI; ET: 8/11, 3 blastocysts left, 2 transferred, 3rd arrested 8/12 - none to freeze :'(
    1st beta 8/19 - BFP! 294; 2nd beta 8/26 - 4976; 1st u/s 9/2; 2nd u/s 9/9 - two little heartbeats at 140 each!!! 
    EDD: 29-April-2015
    Other Meds: Synthroid 100 mcg/daily

imageimageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"