September 2014 Moms
Options

Bottles - Sterilization Q's

So - I guess I'm a little out of touch on the current standards of bottle sterilization. As I had always heard, you were supposed to sterilize baby's bottles relatively often, until about 6 months of age.

Then came all of the issues with boiling/heating plastic, so DH and I bought BPA free bottles - but plastic, not glass. Now I've heard you can't even sterilize those from some people - that you CAN from others - and still others are telling me that their doctors told them not to even bother sterilizing at all beyond the first use anymore. Now I'm just confused. :(

What did you all do (or do you plan on doing?)

Re: Bottles - Sterilization Q's

• Options
    We were gifted the Avent sterilizer and it seems pretty cool. We will probably do it every once in awhile, but not be crazy about it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

S14 August Siggy Challenge.....ALL OF THE ALCOHOLS

• Options
    I honestly don't really care about the sterilization, but I heard running them on the sterilizing cycle of your dishwasher is fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I sterilized before using and occasionally afterwards but definitely not every use. If you put them in the dishwasher, that should be sufficient.
  • Options
    We sterilized them before using but then just washed them in the dishwasher.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    zoeyy said:
    Before the first use we ran them through the dishwasher. Occasionally I would run them through again but I never sterilized before each use.

This is what we did.
  • Options
    zoeyy said:

Before the first use we ran them through the dishwasher. Occasionally I would run them through again but I never sterilized before each use.

This exactly. Ain't nobody got time for that.

• Options

We sterilized them before using but then just washed them in the dishwasher.

This is what we did too.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Options
    We run everything through the dishwasher. We have a container that holds nipples and caps for the dishwasher. That's the only sterilization we ever did.
  • Options
    I feel also like I might use sterilizing the bottles as a way to get out of washing them... should I save that for FFFC?

imageimage

• Options
    jg1011jg1011 member

I sterilized before using and occasionally afterwards but definitely not every use. If you put them in the dishwasher, that should be sufficient.

This exactly for us. Same for pacifiers.
    IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    {Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
    {DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
    Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
    ~Love and Light to everyone~ 
    image image
    My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image
  • Options
    I used my microwave steamer bags.  I would throw the nipples in after washing them.  It only took like 3 minutes to clean them and I normally was sterilizing pump parts too.  I used drop in liners, so I never worried about the bottles. 

• Options

Dishwasher. This poor kid better be happy her bottles are even clean. 

Absolutely this! And who has used the Dr. Browns bottles? They work but those are evil little bastards to clean. We scrubbed and put in the dishwasher and I still found mold in the valves.
  • Options
    fernanefernane member
    edited July 2014
    Absolutely this! And who has used the Dr. Browns bottles? They work but those are evil little bastards to clean. We scrubbed and put in the dishwasher and I still found mold in the valves.

We had a 2 week foster placement who came with a Dr. Brown bottle and it made me wonder who in the world would buy those things..it didn't come with the cleaning brush and I had nothing small enough to reach through the straw part or through all the filter things. It was such a PITA I couldn't ever imagine using them again, especially not on a regular basis. I'm so happy that bottle is leaving today!
    imageimage
  • Options

Yeah - we didn't opt for those. The kids I used to care for had Dr. Brown stuff and that shit sucked to clean. Of course they could launch those puppies down the staircase and they still wouldn't pop open or leak...We went with the Avent brand. As far as the dishwasher, we don't have one, so it looks like we will have to boil the first time around. I think my friend might have a microwave sterlizer - maybe I could borrow that from her instead?

Thanks everyone for all of your responses! You've all been very helpful!

• Options

Unfortunately for my sister, they were all her son would take. Of course she then bought me some. I plan on trying tommee tippee first though, and using the dr browns only if necessary.

BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• Options

Unfortunately for my sister, they were all her son would take. Of course she then bought me some. I plan on trying tommee tippee first though, and using the dr browns only if necessary.
    I had a terrible time with dr browns bottles leaking. No idea why. My cousin has used Tommie tippee bottles with her twins and now her new lo and she really likes them and actually said they are easier than browns to clean. I have no idea what bottles we will be using but I am going to wait until the month after he's born to figure that out.
  • Options
    Our Pedi says Hot water and soap is all you need. I have a friend who is a water microbiologist and he agreed that "sterilization" is a hold over from when water quality was still questionable in certain parts of the country and when formula was newly available. Not to mention nothing at home is really "sterile" either.
    We've only ever hand washed with soap and water, no dishwasher with our first 2 until now no room for extra appliances.

baby #3 arrived in September 2014...cannot get ticker to work no matter what I try!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"