September 2013 Moms
Options

Do you kiss LO on the lips?

MeganbrynMeganbryn member
edited July 2014 in September 2013 Moms
My husband and I always kiss dd on the lips. She leans in for kisses and has for a while now. She also kisses her grandparents, as well as her aunt ( my sister who is very close with her ) on the lips. I don't think it's a big deal, my parents did the same with me growing up. My sister in law however thinks it's totally weird and made a big deal about it. She doesn't kiss her children on the lips and neither does her husband. I'm sure it differs from family to family so I thought I would do a poll just to see.

Do you kiss LO on the lips? 103 votes

Yes but ONLY me/and SO kiss LO on the lips
44% 46 votes
Yes me/and SO as well as close family members kiss LO on the lips
30% 31 votes
No kissing on the lips.
21% 22 votes
SS
3% 4 votes

Re: Do you kiss LO on the lips?

• Options
    We kiss DD on the lips as well. Close family members do (mainly just my Mom & Dad & Sisters). H' was raised not to kiss on the lips so his family doesn't. However, once H started giving DD kisses on the lips, he can't stop lol. We say "Besos" (kisses in Spanish) and she will lean in with her mouth wide open for a slobbery kiss. Their the best :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 1.5.13 - EDD 9.5.13 - Ysabella Sofia born 9.12.13
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I don't kiss LO on the lips, I can't resist kisses on her chubby cheeks. I don't normally kiss DS on the lips but some times he leans in for a kiss so I do.

Now I find it weird when my mom kisses my DH on the lips. She tried to kiss me on the lips as well but I turn my head. Something about it seems uncomfortable to me. My DH kisses his mom on the lips so he doesn't think it's weird.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I do it, DH doesn't. It took me a while to do it with DS1, we are both English and it isn't in our nature I guess, but I wanted both boys to be comfortable with it, so I gradually started doing it with DS1, and did it from day one with DS2, both boys still do open mouthed kisses so its pretty gross at times LOL, but DS2 is slowly getting it. We do much more cheek and head kissing, than lips still I am much more comfortable with it.

CurlingRocks the comfort thing isn't because it might be romantic LOL, it's just what I am used to and it's hard to change behaviour, just like hugging, I get that it is just how it's done here in Canada, but to me it still can feel odd at times, as it isn't how I grew up, where family are very affectionate, but friends not so much, unless you're very close.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Diagnosed with Anti little c antibodies. DS1 7.11.11 - Anaemia and Jaundice. 10 days in the NICU, 1 exchange transfusion and 4 blood transfusions. DS2 29.8.13 - Anaemia 7 days in the NICU and 1 exchange transfusion. Both are now happy and healthy. 

• Options
    Typically we kiss LO on her cheeks or forehead. Once in a while I will kiss her lips but that is only because she sticks her lips out and breathes heavy when she gets mad or frustrated and that usually makes her giggle (we call it fish lips or cheeseball face). Our families do not kiss her lips either. I also do not like the germs associated with LO lip kissing so she will not be taught to do so, only cheek kisses.
  • Options
    I don't kiss her on the lips and no one else does either. I have nothing against it though and don't think it's weird at all. I might when she gets a little older but because of what @annarose82‌ said about the drooling is why I don't now. Well, that and I can't resist those yummy chubby little chipmunk cheeks.
  • Options
    I recently started kissing him on the lips after saying I wasn't going to. I am not a kisser at all actually (except of course my husband), but for some reason it just felt right. My husband started doing it as well.

We haven't done it in front of our families so they have only kissed him on his cheek or forehead. It's possible they think we aren't doing that.
  • Options
    My DH and I are the only ones that kiss her on the lips. Our family usually kisses her on the cheeks or forehead.
  • Options
    VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited July 2014
    I kiss her cheeks, arms, head, belly, etc more, but both H and I do lip kisses sometimes. I used to think it was really weird before LO, but I just couldn't resist that cute little mouth!

ETA: I don't know if my mom and step dad do, but it wouldn't bother me if they did. I don't want her kissing other people for the germ factor, though.

• Options
    I kiss DS on the lips. He is just too cute. DH does not. My sis does kiss him on the mouth I'm ok with that. Growing up I always thought it was weird when I saw others do this so I will probably stop when he gets a little older. No promises though.
  • Options
    Neither me or DH purposely kiss DS on the lips, he's squirmy so sometimes it just happens. I didn't grow up kissing on the lips so it's just not natural to me. My dad's girlfriend kisses on the lips and it makes me feel awkward. I always found it a little strange when adult parent/children kiss on the lips. I don't think it's inappropriate, just not in my comfort zone.
  • Options
    Dh and I do as do my parents (they see lo more often than my In-laws) and I see no issues with it up to a certain age. As of now I figure once they hit 2nd or 3rd grade it becomes a little weird.
  • Options
    I guess I'm an outsider on this one but I grew up in an affectionate family (not that those who don't kiss on lips aren't) but we DH and I and my dad does, DH's parents don't but they aren't as outwardly affectionate like my family was.

BFP: 1/17/13 EDD: 9/20/13 Dalenna Rose Born: 40 wks 4 days 9/24/13

FTM to my sweetpea Miss D.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    When DS was about 18 months old he decided that all kisses were on the lips. I still kiss him on the lips sometimes (he's 3.5).
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options
    Af1004Af1004 member
    edited July 2014
    I do but that's it. ....I don't have a problem with parents doing it, even Grand parents occasionally but that would be it. Our cousins little boy would go around the whole room and kiss everyone on the lips. That is what seems gross to me, going from one person to the next passing everyone's germs.
  • Options
    ajbookajbook member
    I voted that DH and I do. Close family night too now that Lu is into giving kisses. I haven't paid much attention.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic               
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We give kisses on the lips. So do her grandparents. Doesn't bother me any, and it's cute now that she knows how to give kisses.. Well big slobbery open mouthed ones! :)
  • Options
    I give her kisses on the lips. Other family members give kisses on the cheeks or forehead.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"