October 2014 Moms
Options

This Baby Genius Crap...

...Is this stuff really a good investment? I'm interested in it, but I also sort of was just hoping my kid would be born a genius, and we'd not have to worry about educating her. No?

Anyway, if you enter TODAYBABY today, you get like 75% off a set of 5 DVDs and 5 CDs, so I was thinking about it. But. Not if it's just like everything else, and just a gimmick, and I'd be fine to just leave my baby with some normal cartoon-type things.

So, would you get the set? Or, just pass?

Not that I'm all about just plunking the kid in front of the TV. But. It will happen from time to time.

I also swore I would not be the mom who listens to kid CDs in the car, but. This might change that, I GUESS. Kids probably shouldn't listen to gangster rap and techno.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: This Baby Genius Crap...

• Options
    I wouldnt go crazy. If you want them go for it, but its not necessary. I used to just put on Little Einsteins when my son was little and i took a shower. I do listen to kid cds in the car. Its fun to hear my son singing along.
  • Options
    JessAnnJJessAnnJ member
    edited July 2014
    I'm on the side of no tv until at least two for kids and even then her tv exposure should be minimal. She learns more from books and playing. That is not to say that she's never seen a television show because it is occasionally on when she is around, see also my edit below, but we never put on cartoons or kids shows just for her. We do listen to a lot of music CDs. DD has been in music class with The Music Class for about a year and she loves to listen and sing along with those CDs. I never thought I would listen to kids CDs in the car but I realized quickly it's much better than screaming.

ETA - I am guilty of letting her use my iPad when I shower so I wasn't able to totally avoid everything. We also occasionally let her watch online videos of trains or animals because that is something her grandparents started. But we don't do that often.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Saragoeswest I like your line of thinking. My Big Booty Ho station may get some use after all.

I just don't want to buy into it for the amount of time we will probably use it unless it really is awesome. I'm thinking of keeping her occupied when, like someone else mentioned, I shower, or my husband is cooking dinner (I do not cook). So, I'm wondering if it's really necessary, or if just the regular cartoon network would be fine as far as some interesting shapes/sounds/colors for her.
  • Options
    I've been having premature mommy guilt that I will somehow dissolve my baby's brain and make her a dud. Crazy me.

I believe I will be her best teacher. Using creative outlets (cooking, crafts, music) is extremely important to me. Target had some flash cards in their dollar section which are for shapes, counting, and colors. I figured that when she is in her high chair or something, we can look at those.

I'm not looking to raise a Harvard grad (unless that's the path she wants) I just want my child and future children to be creative, critical thinkers.
    ~First time mama, strikingly handsome husband, comedic pooch, krumpin' baby girl on her way~

• Options
    As a SAHM of a busy toddler, I can tell you that there are times where you will desperately need a break! That break may come in the form of TV for 20 minutes. Do what you have to for your sanity and don't let the preaching "No TV Moms" make you feel guilty! I'm not a fan of the DVDs... my son is more thrilled with Daniel Tigers Neighborhood or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and I find them to be more educational and less annoying. I wouldn't waste the money. There are plenty of toddler music channels on TV if you want some fun tunes to dance the wiggles out!
  • Options
    wildflower75wildflower75 member
    edited July 2014
    A couple of things...
    We are trying REALLY hard to do the no screen time for DD until she is at least 2 except my MIL (who watches her during the week) begged me to let her watch Dora every once and a while, so that is the only show she can watch. But I know plenty of people who have their toddler watch TV and they have said that if the show is educational it has actually helped their LO. TETO

Secondly...After our trip to Atlantic City over the weekend where we were stuck in stand still traffic for over an hour and my 1 yr old was screaming "OUT, OUT!"... I will say I understand why parents have soo many children CDs in the car. They really help soothe babies (usually) and I plan on buying more!! At one point (the trip took twice as long as it should have because of a fatal car crash) my husband had on some Jay Z and I told him that we need to get the radio edit version so that the cursing wasn't on there!! We play hip hop, techno, jazz and classical all the time but nothing like the nursery rhymes will shut her up!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Options
    I know all parents probably say this by my two year old is so smart! I believe he learned a lot from watching baby Einstein. He has learned numbers and colors. He is 2 and can count to 20. I also teach him a lot too. I don't think a tv show is the only way for a hold to learn but it can't hurt.

BFP - 2/5/14
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ok, I see where everyone is coming from, but my thought is, wouldn't this be better to set in in front of when I need a shower, etc., than just flipping on cartoon network or some such bs and have a 1-year-old looking at Spongebob (which I sort of hate)?

I honestly don't know the answer. I think I decided against ordering it at this point in time--especially since someone mentioned Netflix, I should look into that, we have that, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. I just wasn't sure if THIS would be a better alternative than some of the random shows.
  • Options
    Sidenote, I'm also thinking of the DVD/app that teaches sign language. That interests me, too.
  • Options
    @Nicb13 I just meant, if we flip on Cartoon Network at random, we are stuck with what is on (which may be Spongebob).

I'm trying to figure out how to have these without being at the mercy of "whatever is just on at the time," which is why DVDs appeal to me. But I guess I could TIVO stuff.
  • Options
    vrj0522vrj0522 member
    edited July 2014
    We have Baby Genius DVDs/CDs and DS absolutely loves them! He is very musical and so those DVDs were the only thing he would watch until after he turned two. I agree that kids younger than 2 don't need screen time but sometimes moms need a break. DS would watch the 20-30 min DVDs 3-4 times a week and that was it for his screen time before he was two. Now he is more interested in other shows but he only loved the music of the Baby Genius DVDs for a long time. What I really liked about them is that you could make them interactive... because they are mostly children's songs and nursery rhymes you can use your hands and body to sing along with them. DS does this throughout the entire DVD so it's not like he just sits there and watches... he also gets to participate and sing along. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    Nicb13 said:
    SusieBW said:
    Nicb13 said:
    Don't get me wrong, DS watches some TV and he did before he turned 2 but I'm convinced he's as smart as he is because we interact with him and teach him things ourselves. The TV doesn't do that.
    ITA! 

I think it's cool how most of the kids shows out there (the ones geared towards toddlers, anyway) really are pretty educational, but nothing compares to kids learning by living.  TV for toddlers is not without benefits, though.

Some of the ridiculous Daniel Tiger songs have helped DD understand and deal with her own behavior.  She understands the feeling of frustration after watching that episode of the show, and when we remind her that's what she's feeling, she reacts more appropriately and leaves off on the tantrum-ish behavior.  It also allows us to tell her when we are frustrated, and she gets it. 

My turn to say ITA!

DS is obsessed with Super Why and I know he's learning a ton of stuff from that show. Kids are such little sponges and I don't have a problem with TV at all because I know that he is benefiting from it. BUT, I do believe there is nothing better for kids than learning from good 'ol mom and dad. It's amazing how much they pick up if you just take the time with them. The kids that suffer are the ones that are plopped in front of a TV because their parents are too lazy to play with them.

Caillou on the other hand teaches kids to be whiney little a-holes! I HATE that show so fucking much.

His voice nauseates me to no end. Especially when he cries.

I'm pretty lax with TV. DD watches probably 2 hours a day regularly (spread out from 7am-730pm) and I don't have a problem with it. We play outside, at the park, go to the river, etc. so frequently that I'm fine with her watching cartoons in the morning while I wake up/bump and when I'm cooking dinner.

But, I also agree with you @Nicb13 - TV isn't what "makes" your child smart. They learn from experiences.

image         image

• Options
    I second limiting screen time for toddlers. Sure, that buys you an extra minute here and there and that's great, but now I find my toddler can't go very long without asking for some sort of electronic. People tell me it's the times and kids need to know these things. I call BS. All it's teaching her is how to entertain herself with glowing rectangles. Now we are trying to curb the habit and get her involved in other activities throughout the day.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have subscribed to Baby TV with our TV package and it's wonderful. The segments are each about 5 minutes long at most, are slower moving, don't incorporate a ton of talking, use lots of music, and there aren't any commercials at all. I really like it and my son is only allowed to watch that channel.

He loves his Baby Einstein and Baby Genius CDs in the car and knows it's time to relax and nap when they're on. Those were the only thing that made the car bearable for us for the longest time.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1 - 12/12/11 - Missed M/C 1/9/12
    BFP #2 - 4/5/2012 - Son Born 12/12/12
    BFP #3 - 2/2/2014 - EDD 10/16/2014
  • Options
    You don't necessarily need cartoons to be able to take a shower. I do let DD play on my iPad now, otherwise she would keep opening the shower door, but when she was younger sometimes I put her in her crib and turned on the mobile and watched her on the video monitor, sometimes she sat and watched me in her bouncer, sometimes I brought toys or books in there, sometimes I showered when she was sleeping.

She would definitely watch more tv if I SAH so believe me I don't judge anyone whose kids watch tv. Like I said she does watch some animal and train videos on YouTube and will occasionally see some tv when we have it on. But, if your question is it a good investment education wise I would definitely say no. Like other people said they learn so much from books and us. Reading to them, talking to them, explaining what things are goes a long way. It's crazy how much they will absorb from you. They will pick up on things that you don't even realize. I am constantly amazed by what my 19 month old knows. Watching her learn each new thing has been one of the most amazing things about being a parent.

• Options
    This whole conversation is kind of making me think of a conversation I had with a friend. She speaks to her toddler/baby like adults for the most part. They eat what she is having for dinner. And her toddler is really bright. So, I'm wondering if "kid programs" are even necessary at all until she really understands characters. Wouldn't there be a bigger vocabulary base on just whatever we have on the tv in the background?

She'll be in daycare for part of the time, and with my MIL for the rest. I'll not have a ton of time with her during the weekday, so I can't imagine I'll want to just plunk her down and leave--I'll want to SPEND TIME with her. I am not sure how the day will go when she's with MIL, though. 

I also have issues with kids and electronics. My husband's cousin got an iPhone when he was 4. My MIL bought it for him. I'm terrified that's going to happen this time around, too, and I just don't love it. I think iPad games for kids geared towards learning or watching DVDs on trips are fine, but. Being glued to it? I hate that. I hate that, and I DO IT. :\
  • Options
    Ilove signing time dvds. We have the baby signs ones and ds watxhes regular signing time on netflix. Teaching him sign languagewas ddefinitely a good decision.
  • Options
    @Nicb13 You would think that...however, my husband is the most quiet man you can imagine. There is no way to put into words how quiet he is, no one believes me. We are complete opposites (I'll talk to strangers!). So, any conversational skills are coming from ME. We always joke that our kid will never learn to speak or dress herself (he's colorblind) if something were to happen to me in childbirth.

Maybe that's why I'm like "HOW IS MY KID GONNA KNOW WORDS? I HAVE TO TALK AT HER ALL THE TIME."

I've moved on from the Baby Genius crap (which I did suspect was just a lot of marketing and hype and praying on moms who fear their kid will be left behind) and now I'm thinking about the sign language stuff. I think that is actually useful, and I myself have wanted to learn it, so it's like a two-fer. I might look into the app or Netflix. I don't know what I was thinking anyway with DVDs, I'm not even sure how to work the damned thing--I think we used it once in the last 5 years.

• Options
    JessAnnJJessAnnJ member
    edited July 2014
    @SPurp13‌ you might be surprised and your husband may be more talkative than you think. The way my husband acts as a dad is much different than the way he acted pre-baby.

We had a sign language board book, but mostly taught simple signs like milk, more, ear mommy, daddy as we said the word in the appropriate context. Daycare teaches signs by showing flash cards, saying the word, and doing the sign.

• Options
    @JessAnnJ I've seen him around kids (not really babies, per se), and he really is good with them, so you may be right. I'm sort of excited to find out.

I've always wanted to learn sign language myself, so I'm maybe more excited about myself learning, than my kid. Is that wrong?
  • Options
    RE: talking to baby all the time - I completely did that.  She and I would be home alone all day when she was just an infant, and I would carry on a running commentary of the whole day.  Sometimes as she was nursing, I would tell her about the book I was reading or something I watched on TV the night before, or about how her digestive system was processing the milk she was drinking - just to talk to her.  I was on maternity leave over the holidays, and I would "teach" her how to make cookies or whatever I happened to be cooking (I did a lot of cooking while I was on leave) - she would sit in her bouncy seat on the kitchen table or wrapped in the Moby wrap on my chest, and I would explain the whole recipe to her as I was making them.  We'd go shopping, and I'd talk to her about all the stuff on the shelves in the store and about whatever we were buying.  People probably thought I was nuts, but she tested way high on speech and language when she was assessed last fall.  We've always talked to her like a grown up, too.  I despise baby talk.

I also learned and taught her sign language for basic stuff to help her communicate before she could form the words - more, please, thank you, eat, drink, all done, etc.  I just googled and found stuff on line and on youtube to help - no DVDs or anything.  But again, I just wanted to learn some basics to help her communicate her needs, I wasn't trying to teach her sign language, kwim?
  • Options
    I don't think it's a bad investment, but I also don't think it's a tool that should be used often. I SAH and my little guy doesn't even ask to put the TV on because it isn't watched during the day. His TV time is when Daddy gets home, which isn't for long, and they also snuggle up and watch for a little bit on weekend mornings while he drinks his milk. It's a treat and something he does with Daddy.

@JessAnnJ is right about how they learn so much from us and that TV isn't necessary as a learning tool.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    SPurp13 said:

This whole conversation is kind of making me think of a conversation I had with a friend. She speaks to her toddler/baby like adults for the most part. They eat what she is having for dinner. And her toddler is really bright. So, I'm wondering if "kid programs" are even necessary at all until she really understands characters. Wouldn't there be a bigger vocabulary base on just whatever we have on the tv in the background?

She'll be in daycare for part of the time, and with my MIL for the rest. I'll not have a ton of time with her during the weekday, so I can't imagine I'll want to just plunk her down and leave--I'll want to SPEND TIME with her. I am not sure how the day will go when she's with MIL, though. 

I also have issues with kids and electronics. My husband's cousin got an iPhone when he was 4. My MIL bought it for him. I'm terrified that's going to happen this time around, too, and I just don't love it. I think iPad games for kids geared towards learning or watching DVDs on trips are fine, but. Being glued to it? I hate that. I hate that, and I DO IT. :\
    This is exactly how I approach raising my son. He is almost 20 months old and understands everything even though he doesn't have a large vocabulary. My husband is always surprised by the things he knows because he isn't home with him all day and notices all of those little advancements. He has been eating what we eat since he was 7 months old and isn't a picky eater unless he is teething or doesn't feel well.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    raynesraynes member
    I highly recommend this book: https://brainrules.net/brain-rules-for-baby

It talks about how the Baby Genius/Einstein shows really don't teach your child, and that the best way for them to learn is for you to talk to them.  I think they recommend something like 2,000 spoken words a day.  They say just to narrate all the stuff you do in the day to help "And now we're going to make some lunch, I'm boiling water now" etc.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I believe I will be her best teacher. Using creative outlets (cooking, crafts, music) is extremely important to me. Target had some flash cards in their dollar section which are for shapes, counting, and colors. I figured that when she is in her high chair or something, we can look at those. I'm not looking to raise a Harvard grad (unless that's the path she wants) I just want my child and future children to be creative, critical thinkers.
    Hear, hear!

Also important, I think, it allowing babies the chance to "be bored" and figure out what to do with those moments when not a lot is happening. I used to throw my son a couple of measuring cups while I cooked dinner, or put him on the floor of the bathroom while I showered and sang to him, or wrap him up in a carrier while I did the dishes (they like to watch)... those are sweet memories for me, now, too.

It is totally overwhelming not being able to walk away from your baby, but it also feels pretty good to come up with low-tech solutions and see how bright-eyed and curious they are about a regular day in the life.
    Me: 31  ~  Copilot: 37  ~  Our son: 3/25/11 ~ Our daughter: 10/5/14
  • Options
    Hear, hear!

Also important, I think, it allowing babies the chance to "be bored" and figure out what to do with those moments when not a lot is happening. I used to throw my son a couple of measuring cups while I cooked dinner, or put him on the floor of the bathroom while I showered and sang to him, or wrap him up in a carrier while I did the dishes (they like to watch)... those are sweet memories for me, now, too.

It is totally overwhelming not being able to walk away from your baby, but it also feels pretty good to come up with low-tech solutions and see how bright-eyed and curious they are about a regular day in the life.
    DD used to help from her high chair when she was small, too - I would hand her some random kitchen tools from the drawer and she would bang the around while I cooked.  Now she stands up on a chair at the counter next to me and helps mix or pour or whatever we're doing.  She gets pretty offended if I still try and help her pour stuff so she doesn't spill, actually.
  • Options
    We DVR shows here too.  It's why I have 300 episodes of The Wiggles taking up space currently. :)  Each episode is only 15 minutes (but when you skip through the intro and exit pieces, probably closer to 10 minutes at most).  My daughter loves the songs and the dancing and has been learning body parts, animals, and animal noises from the show.  She also occasionally watches Dora the Explorer or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  But we also watch them with her, for the most part.  So we do some teaching along with it.  

As a little baby, she was happy to hear whatever I was watching or listening to.  She has a particular love of the music from Pitch Perfect, since that was out on PPV and OnDemand during my maternity leave and it was frequently watched. :)

• Options

I have no issues with some TV watching and it's certainly no "worse" than iPads and smartphones etc. I think everyone needs some mental downtime, including kids. It's ok not to be mentally engaged every second of every day. I know DD has learned some from TV...and from books, from us, from my parents who watch her, from daycare, from her little toddler friends. We talk to her constantly and have read to her from the time we brought her home from the hospital. She is, and I must brag, super smart and retains concepts we didn't think she would. I credit all of these things to some extent.

My kid doesn't like to watch any TV or movies for more than 10 min aside from that blasted Caillou. I haven't observed and increased whining from her watching that but I have heard that complaint before. Sometimes I watch back to back Forensic Files or 48 Hours Mystery, am I learning anything? Probably not but sometimes it just feels good to sit back and watch.

Read a lot, talk to them a ton! Even if you think they are too little to understand. They absorb everything, which is so amazing and fun to see.

• Options
    I've never seen an episode of Caillou, but I know people hate that kid.
  • Options
    As a SAHM of a busy toddler, I can tell you that there are times where you will desperately need a break! That break may come in the form of TV for 20 minutes. Do what you have to for your sanity and don't let the preaching "No TV Moms" make you feel guilty! I'm not a fan of the DVDs... my son is more thrilled with Daniel Tigers Neighborhood or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and I find them to be more educational and less annoying. I wouldn't waste the money. There are plenty of toddler music channels on TV if you want some fun tunes to dance the wiggles out!
    YES!  This is exactly what happens in our house daily.  I'd never get to shower or cook a meal if we didn't have our ipad or a TV show to let him watch.  I love having him help me with certain tasks, but I've found that a toddler helping me cook can also be very trying and dangerous depending on what tools I'm using and how quickly I need to get our food ready.  We discovered that before age 2 or even 2 1/2 our son was somewhat indifferent to the TV being on so we could watch the news or whatever we wanted.  He's much more interested in "his shows" now (Disney Jr and Sprout).  He also knows how to navigate netflix on our ipad and tablet and will find whatever he wants to watch.  We've decided that spending $5 on a few really good apps has been a better investment than a set of DVDs or CDs.  Like everything parenting related, be prepared to rethink what you thought before you had kids.  I remember thinking that "I'd never" with a bunch of stuff before kids that I've found has worked best for us after he was here.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MsMacual said:

YES!  This is exactly what happens in our house daily.  I'd never get to shower or cook a meal if we didn't have our ipad or a TV show to let him watch.  I love having him help me with certain tasks, but I've found that a toddler helping me cook can also be very trying and dangerous depending on what tools I'm using and how quickly I need to get our food ready.  We discovered that before age 2 or even 2 1/2 our son was somewhat indifferent to the TV being on so we could watch the news or whatever we wanted.  He's much more interested in "his shows" now (Disney Jr and Sprout).  He also knows how to navigate netflix on our ipad and tablet and will find whatever he wants to watch.  We've decided that spending $5 on a few really good apps has been a better investment than a set of DVDs or CDs.  Like everything parenting related, be prepared to rethink what you thought before you had kids.  I remember thinking that "I'd never" with a bunch of stuff before kids that I've found has worked best for us after he was here.

Totally. The TV in our kitchen remodel was a hugely awesome decision. We don't have an open concept house (old house) so I can put her with some measuring cups and beans and put on the TV or let her color while watching TV so I can cook without her wanting to "help" by putting her hand in a hot oven.

I want to retroactively apologize for all of the "I'll nevers" I said to myself before I had kids. Oh, the ignorance!

I have heard a lot of people complain about Caillou causing whining! I think his voice is annoying as hell, especially the older episodes. We watch the newer ones which aren't as bad but his laugh will haunt my nightmares forever. DD just loves that bald kid though.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"