Special Needs

IEP and school change

My DS will most likely be changing from a district preschool to a private preschool in the fall. The reason for this is we need longer hours so I can work. The district preschool is not a special education program, but for all kids. My DS only has speech therapy in his IEP and he has been receiving the time at the district preschool. My question is how will it work if I move him to a private preschool? Can I just bring him to his home school for speech therapy? Additionally, we are moving the end of Sept. Would you start up therapy for one month at our current home school and then switch in Oct to the new home school or just wait until Oct to start speech at the new home school?

Re: IEP and school change

• We are having a similar situation... Too many transitions are not easy for my DS so we are waiting till his new IEP is intact with kindie
    Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009
    Baby #4 due date February 2015

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • We would be in the same district. I forgot to add that I am only working 2 days a week, so I could bring him for therapy on any of the other 3 days. The private preschool I am looking at only has space for 2 days a week and we are on the waitlist for 3 days a week. He would have preschool in the am and daycare in the afternoon. He has been going there for camp this summer and is doing well. I guess I am worried that I am making the right choice. Its very hard because we need the extra income but I want to make sure he still gets services.
  • Loading the player...
  • So it sounds like I may need to take him to a school further away depending on the SLPs availability?

Who would I talk to about this situation? Would I just wait until the school year starts?

• Since we aren't moving until October, we haven't found a place to rent yet. We will be looking for that soon. School here starts after Labor Day, so hopefully we will know where we are moving by then, but I doubt we will have a signed lease that early.

They cant deny us services can they? We already have an IEP that goes until June saying he qualifies and gets speech therapy.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"