Pregnant after IF
Options

Why do people only want to tell you about the bad parts?

penad5penad5 member
edited July 2014 in Pregnant after IF
So, I'm getting to the point where I've been telling most people the news... and very quickly i'm regretting it.  It seems that most of the unsolicited advice people want to give is how horrible my life is going to be once the baby comes.  "You'll never sleep again" "Eat out now cause you'll never be able to go to a restaurant in peace" "You're going to be in so much pain during labor" 
Or they criticize my plans "what do you mean you don't plan on having the baby in your room?  That will change" "You're planning on pumping?  good luck with that" "you want to do a race next fall... don't count on it" apparently every idea i have is going to change once i have the baby... and I get that ya some things will and i'm prepared for that but it's not like I've never seen a baby before or don't realize that I may have to adjust and I know that their will be hard times

I'm just really sick of the negativity and being made to feel like i'm an idiot and that until i have this baby I can have no ideas on what to do with him/her.  I do appreciate good advice but I feel like i'm just being put down - after a convo with one "friend" last night I cried for an hour at my husband about how I already feel like i'm going to be a bad mom!   

Why are people such jerks... do they not remember being preg?  How do you deal?  Unfortunately all can bring myself to do is cry - gotta love those hormones

imageimageimage
***Siggy Warning***
TTC Since Feb 2011 - HSG Aug 2012 opened 1 tube - Lap Nov 2012 confirmed Endo. 
May 2013 both tubes blocked by hydrosalpinx. Nov 2013 Essure Placed permanently blocking both tubes

IVF #1 - Jan/Feb 2014 Patch Protocol - 3 day 5 blasts Frosties - transferred 1 blast BFN 
FET #1 - May 15 transferred 1 blast - HPT May 22 BFP - Beta #1 May 26 - 578 - Beta #2 May 28 1707
U/S #1 June 9 6w4d hb 111 - U/S #2 June 17 7w5d HB 156 - EDD Jan 29, 2015

Re: Why do people only want to tell you about the bad parts?

• Options
    penad5penad5 member
    Thanks @ducky719!  I need to remember that response... and stop letting them get inside my head!!!

imageimageimage
    ***Siggy Warning***
    May 2013 both tubes blocked by hydrosalpinx. Nov 2013 Essure Placed permanently blocking both tubes

IVF #1 - Jan/Feb 2014 Patch Protocol - 3 day 5 blasts Frosties - transferred 1 blast BFN 
    FET #1 - May 15 transferred 1 blast - HPT May 22 BFP - Beta #1 May 26 - 578 - Beta #2 May 28 1707

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    penad5penad5 member
    @ThoseThreeWords‌ dear god I hope that isn't true about it getting worse once we have or kids! Hahaha
    I agree i hope that's not true - cause once these hormones stop just making me go directly to cry-town i'm probably going to start throat punching if it gets worse!!!!

imageimageimage
    ***Siggy Warning***

• Options
    dp21dp21 member
    You are going to be a GREAT mother!  We all are :)  After everything we have all been through, I know we will all step up to the plate! 

I almost feel like the person giving unsolicited advice to my sister in law who is pregnant, but she is really clueless (thought it was ok to drink alcohol when pregnant....told me she plans to breastfeed but is going to sleep 8 hours at night while her husband feeds the baby the pumped milk....planned to take a trip overseas in 3rd trimester close to due date (I told her to cancel).  But honestly she is the only person I try to give a reality check because she needs it lol.  Really clueless.  Recently bought a pack-n-play from garage sale that smells of cat pee.....not making this stuff up.  Luckily her hubby has some sense and threw it out. 

Me:
    30, DH: 32
    My hx:  uterus/hormones normal Dx: low AMH 0.5 = poor ovarian reserve
    hubby hx: low sperm count, poor motility, started on clomid, retest in May showed no improvement, will be on clomid another 3 months, another retest scheduled for August

Started IVF #1:  ~BFP Mentioned~
    • ER (Thursday April 17th, 3 precious eggs).
    • April 18th: Received news 2 out of 3 eggs fertilized!
    •  Planned 3dt: Easter day, transferred two 8B embryos and received pictures :)
    • BFP starting 8dp3dt 5/1 Beta #1: 87, 5/3 Beta #2 206 
    • 5/19 Heartbeat 123bpm
    • EDD 1/8/15

• Options
    People suck sometimes. And they like to flaunt their "knowledge"/experience. I pretty much tune them out, just like I tuned out the "just relax and it will happen" people (right, because relaxing is medically proven to increase my AMH level from 0.4?!). That's what I love about this forum - it's so supportive and encouraging, rather than trying to scare us!
    Me: 37 | DH: 38 | Married 9/2012, low AMH, high FSH
    First-ever BFP after IUI #4 (Follistim) - Baby Girl born (36w2d) 8/8/2014!
    TTC #2 since Feb 2015
    BFP 5/4/15
  • Options
    penad5penad5 member
    marnief said:
    People suck sometimes. And they like to flaunt their "knowledge"/experience. I pretty much tune them out, just like I tuned out the "just relax and it will happen" people (right, because relaxing is medically proven to increase my AMH level from 0.4?!). That's what I love about this forum - it's so supportive and encouraging, rather than trying to scare us!
    I whole heartily agree!!

imageimageimage
    ***Siggy Warning***

• Options
    Many people will try to put themselves in our shoes.  They can't.  Sometimes people just don't know what to say so what comes out of their mouth is not the most pleasant, but did have a good intention behind it.  

Just two days ago.....As I was explaining to my mom about my appointments and monitoring for GD, blood pressure, and regular OBGYN visits, she chimed in with "was it even worth it?"  I asked her to repeat what she said and it was the same line. I told her that I have about 8 weeks to go and it was everything we ever wanted as a couple and was just so happy to have a chance to be a mom.  I told my DH and he and I talked about how MY MOTHER was "mothering" ME in that she didn't want HER child to have to go through so much.  Her intention was good, but her "Filter" on how to say something was just TOTALLY off!  LOL  Helped me to put things in perspective. 

I have heard the gammit of things as well from others and of course they think they are ALL doctors or something, but really what it comes down to is the support people you keep closest to you when your child/children arrive. That is what I look to.....a supportive husband and a few close friends who really know the journey we've been on and who look at life as a glass half full.  As to the "half empty glass" people, I limit my interactions with them and I guard my deepest plans, intentions/goals for after my babies arrive.  Gives me something to surprise them with when I achieve what I have set out to.....but without the audience.  
    :)  Hang in there!

************** Siggy Warning************

Married August 2012 -- Me (40 yrs old) My husband (45 yrs. old) 

RE referral from ObGYN in late Jan. 2013 -- Testing Confirms Unexplained IF 

IUI #"s1 - 3 (Femara + IUI) April - June 2013 - all BFN

Decided to do IVF... Began stimming on September 10th!  Egg Retrieval 9/20/13.  19 eggs: 6 to mature to freeze after 6 fertilized with ICSI

3 morula stage embryos transferred on 9/25/13.....Beta #1 on 10/4/13/ = 7.5  Beta #2 on 10/6/13 =  negative

IVF#2 - Lupron plan  (set to begin on 10/28/13)  (Planning on thawing and fertilizing our 6 eggs with ICSI as well as all of the mature eggs they retrieve with this fresh cycle.)

Late October 2013 - ectopic pregnancy - methotrexate injection....benched 3 months

CD1 - 12/5/13...Lupron set to start on 12/26/13; CD1 - 1/2/14....Baseline 1/3/14....begin follistim tonight and continue with lupron.  (Got my calendar today!  IVF#2 is a go!)

ER = 1/14/14  (11 eggs....9 were mature. 9 fertilized.  Of the 6 mature eggs we thawed, only 4 fertilized.  At this time, we have 13 eggs fertilized and growing.  Waiting for news about a 3-day or 5-day transfer.)

ET = 1/19/14  (5dt).....3 blastocysts transferred!   (All nine embryos didn't make it to freeze.  =(  )

Beta #1 = 1/28/14   (2 weeks after ER)  BFP! 209 (9dp5dt)   EDD 10/7/14

Beta #2 - 1/30/14  (11 dp5dt) 302

Beta #3 - 2/3/14  (15 dp5dt)  1222 

Ultrasound set for 2/17/14......TWINS!        Twin A - HR 124 bpm; Twin B - HR 126 bpm

Final Ultrasound with RE 3/10/14 - Twin A - HR 176 bpm; Twin B - HR 177 bpm.

PAIF/SAIF Welcome! 

imageimage 

imageimageimage

• Options
    I tried to remind myself that while I was taking it all so personally with the pregnancy, it was no different than everyday life. I mean, people never say "Smell this! It smells so good!" or "Wow this tastes great, try some!" They always say "This stinks! Smell it!" or "Ew this is gross, try it!" 

I love Ducky's response. Will have to remember that ;)
    Married 6/08, TTC 7/09
    MC w/ D&C 3/11 ~ 9.5 weeks
    CP/MC 1/12 ~ 5 weeks
    2 IUI's w/ BFN
    IVF 6/12 ~ 8R, 0F ~ Rescue ISCI gave us 3dt of 2 (6 cell, 9+ cell)
    DS born ~ 3/3/13
    IVF 6/14 ~ Operation Sibling ~ 10R, 5F ~ 5dt of 1 Blast
    Beta 1: 1600+, Beta 2: 4588
    Everyone Welcome!
    image image
    Pregnancy Ticker image

• Options
    xc1148xc1148 member
    Mrs.McIrish said. I usually say "it took us a long time to conceive so I'm not worried about little things at all." And usually people stop talking because they realize how silly they sound. I mean, really, horror of horrors, the hospital I chose has smaller rooms than the other one. oh noes how will i ever survive :P
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• Options
    ccamccam member

Every time I speak to my best friend, she makes some sort of comment about how hard having 2 kids is going to be.  "Are you ready for this?"  "Just wait until you have two."  "The 2nd kid is always harder."  She is one of the very few people who know what we went through to have kids so you'd think she'd keep those comments to herself, but she doesn't.  It's so frustrating!! 

I get it - 2 kids is going to be hard, but so was going from 0-1 kid and so was getting pregnant in the first place!  But it was worth every second to have DS - there is so much more good than bad.  When I talk to people about pregnancy and children, I always focus on the good since I'm sure most people only get these bad comments.  Hang in there!!

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options
    People ALWAYS need to put in their 2 cents and it's rarely positive. I find that saying something along the lines of, "after going through the hell of infertility and IVF, I can't imagine having too many problems with a lack of sleep" or something along those lines. As for the "advice," I think nodding and smiling is the best bet.
    Me (31) - PCOS with insulin resistance

4 rounds of Clomid = no response
    IVF # 1 - ET (1 3AA, 4 frosties): 12/22 = BFP
    EDD: 9/9/2014

• Options

Sorry I haven't properly intro'd yet - I was active in 3T and am almost 9 weeks along now :) but I wanted to add...

When C and I told our smug mommy friends that we were planning to have a baby, they gave me tons of horror stories about how awful pregnancy was going to be, particularly through the first trimester.  They told me I'd be sick all the time, too exhausted to do anything, that I'll get pissy with C and that my life will suck the entire 9 months.

To the contrary, I haven't had a single moment of morning sickness.  My energy level seems to be fine.  No serious aches or pains to complain about.  Even-tempered... At first I thought something must obviously be wrong because I'm not going through hell, but all my ultrasounds have checked out to be fine.  Pregnancy, so far, has been a breeze for me.  I've only got 3 weeks left in first tri so I'm not particularly concerned MS will suddenly hit me.

In fact, my primary symptom is an enormous appetite.  Everything I eat, the flavor explodes on my tongue and gives me shivers of delight.  Especially juicy meats, tasty cheeses, ice cream, fruits, and carbs coated in cheese.

So they can suck on that.  Just because pregnancy sucked for them doesn't mean it sucks for everyone.  And that's how I feel about parenthood.  Everyone makes such a huge stink about it and you read all these horrifying articles online so you prepare yourself for the absolute worst.  I have a feeling we will all be pleasantly surprised.

• Options
    @wishiwaspreggo‌ congrats & welcome! Lucky your 1st trimester is wonderful! I had crazy morning sickness, but I was the happiest nauseous person in the world! There it is again, every pregnancy is different.

@penad5‌ you will be a great mother!! Every pregnancy is different, everyone parents differently. I've noticed that the people who tell the horror stories (especially all the "you can't or won't once baby comes" people) are people I'd never take parenting advice from anyway. This on girl is always sarcastic with her you'll see comments, has the worst relationship with her brat daughter. The ones who are happy parents give little advice, mostly positive.

My 2 SIL have 2 completely different kinds of parenting styles & pregnancies. One w as a crazy overprotective routine mom, the other was very laid back, stress about nothing style and take baby everywhere. Both have great kids, and are great parents. Their stories & advice are different too.

No one is the same, I agree with PP that stories are their badge of honor. Do what is right & natural for you & your baby as only you will know. That is what great mom's do!
    Me: 33 - PCOS & Hypothyroidism DH: 35 - SA is good Married since 2010 (together since 2006) TTC since June 2009 (we knew we would have issues and wanted family right away after we got married). No pregnancies yet. May 2013 - started first round of Chlomid & ovidrel cycle.
  • Options
    calindi said:
    @wishIwaspreggo - Have I mentioned how happy it makes me to see you on PAIF?!  :-)  Thrilled for you!

And I see from your siggy, it was your first Follistim + IUI combo that worked.  I swear, I'm never doing Femara again when we go to conceive #2 if we have to seek treatment again.  Give me the shots!  It worked so much better for me (obviously).

And sometimes I think people like to brag about how tough they've had it.  Like somehow they bond over their misery.  It's like a secret club of "warriors" who have dealt with sleepless nights, painful breastfeeding, teething toddlers, terrible twos and tyrannical threes, and any host of other things that people like to complain about.  They're bonding and showing how tough they are by expressing how hard the things they've gone through have been.  But really, they're kind of bragging.

To be honest, it's how I talk about infertility.  It sucked, and it was tough, but when I "complain" about our struggles, really I'm just sort of bragging about how much we wanted this baby and how hard we worked for it, and how grateful and relieved we are to be expecting.  I don't really want to ever be in those shoes again, and it did suck, but I'm glad I went through it because I think I appreciate the good times so much more for having struggled.

Thank you, @calindi :) It's fantastic to be here.  Yeah, straight Follistim is what did the trick for me.  I did not respond at all to Femara - just the Follistim!  It's good to know what finally worked.  Happily C is up next for conceiving a sibling so I'm off the hook.  I think she'll have an easier time than me since she's so regular and she's a little younger than me.

I totally get bragging to people about what you've been through - provided they've already had the same experience.  For example, if a lesbian friend of mine decides to TTC I will *never* tell her how hard it was for me and how many different medicines I had to try.  Every woman is different.  Some folks on the LGBT forum used ICI with fresh donor sperm at home and after a couple tries succeed.  Some women only required one IUI.  Others 2-3 tries.  Then there's me with 5-6 tries with progressively stronger medicines.  Others still who needed IVF, or multiple IVF cycles.  We all need to experience our own journeys :) Once she's gone through it and gotten pregnant, THEN I'm happy to talk about our battles.

Likewise I won't tell any of my newly pregnant friends how easy my first trimester was, especially if they're really struggling.  I don't want to make anyone feel bad.  If they ask me specifically what I went through then I'll share, but otherwise I don't offer anything unless asked.

• Options
    @penad5 I'm with you. I think my mom is the only one who actually made a positive comment. All my friends, MILs, coworkers, all of them tell me the horror stories and the things I won't be able to do anymore once the baby comes. I know it'll change what we do and I know there will be times I won't be able to do something because the baby is sick and puking all over - but for the most part, I want to incorporate them into our life rather than totally give up everything I like to do just because I've had a kid. One of my friends is a good inspiration/reminder for me - she finished grad school while pregnant, she took both kids on trips to different countries while they were both under 6, she still visited friends in other states and still takes the time to do things without the kids too. Whenever someone gets too harsh on all the things I won't do, I think of her.
    Me:41  DH: 46 high count but poor motility & morphology
    TTC on and off since 2005

July 2012: Infertility tests started at OB/Gyn, HSG and HSN all clear
    Sept 2012: IUI #1 w/Clomid - BFN
    Oct 2012: IUI #2 w/Clomid - cancelled due to cyst
    Nov 2012: IUI #3 w/Clomid - BFN
    Break to move and find new PCP, OB/Gyn & RE
    Sept 2013: first appt with RE
    Nov / Dec 2013: IVF #1 with ICSI split
      Dec 6: Retrieval, 4 retrieved, 2 mature, 1 fertilized
      Dec 11: Transferred 1 (Day 5)
      Dec 30:  HCG Beta, 4980. BFP!
     1 little bean!
    EDD: August 28 30 2014
    LO Arrived! August 31 2014

All Welcome!

image image
  • Options
    I so understand! I'm having twins and the reaction I get most of the time is "omg your going to have your hands full" "are you scared!" "Did you freak out when they told you" all to which I say "nope!" or "oh my girl they will probably be your last too" and to that I respond "yea they probably will since it took three ivf's to get them" they change their attitude pretty quickly :-) fertliles don't get it :-) I could care no less about losing sleep, vacation, or privacy. I had enough of that while I cried myself to sleep longing for a baby and to get two I am feeling overwealmingly blessed!
    *loss and BFP mentioned*
    Me: Endo & No Tubes 
    DH: perfect!
    IVF#1 (Sept 2013) Long Lupron Protocol
               17 retrieved, 15 fert, 1 perfect blast trans, 10 frozen
                BFP--Ended-- Blighted Ovum
    FET#2 Tentative Sched: Start meds CD1=Feb 1, ET= Feb 19-20
              One Grade 4AA Blast transferred, 5dpt- BFP HPT, 6dpt- line darker
              Beta #1- 50, Beta #2- 30
              BFN- Chemical preg
    FET#3 CD1-4/11, start Injections on CD13, ET scheduled- 4/29
             CD12 u/s & bw- Lining 8.7, estrogen 335, cleared for ET in one week!
             CD19 ET- Two Grade 4AA Blast transferred one with assisted hatching
             4dpt- POAS = BFP!....POAS everyday after = DARKER! FX!
             Beta #1- 703!  Beta #2- 4,004! 
             First U/S, 5wk0d- TWO gest sacs, Both with yolk sacs and a fetal pole both measuring 3d ahead!
    ((Thank you LORD, praying these LO grow, grow, grow!)) 
    **Due date Jan 14th- Boy/Girl twins**

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"