Multiples
Options

How much is too much exercise?

I've been an off-and-on gym goer for most of my adult life - I'm about 15 pounds overweight for my height (pre-pregnancy). I am strong, however, and in fairly reasonable shape. Obviously i'm eager not to gain too much weight (though some is clearly unavoidable, and healthy). How much exercise is ideal for someone in their first trimester? I don't want to overdo things, but I'd like to remain reasonably fit throughout! My husband is from a culture where pregnant women tend not to exercise much, and he seems to feel I ought to be foregoing the gym entirely. 

Re: How much is too much exercise?

• Options
    What does your OB recommend? I barely exercised during 1st tri at the recommendation of my RE and then due to how crummy I was feeling. Just did some low intensity elliptical stuff near 12/13 weeks. My exercise restrictions from my OB didn't kick in until 20 weeks but if you've not been regularly going before getting pregnant I would clear anything new, and if you HAVE been going id clear before continuing.
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • Options
    I ran a half marathon a week before my BFP. I asked my OB about exercise and she was fine w me running as long as I listened to my body and didn't push myself too hard.

As it was, I got my BFP right after thanksgiving and I live where it gets cold in the winter. Add in crushing fatigue, a 2.5yo, and morning sickness and let's just say my running shoes collected dust for most of my pregnancy.

You're likely fine to continue at the same intensity level you are used to. Listen to your body and drink water.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I walked 3 miles most days until about 25 weeks. At that point, my MFM put me on restricted activity due to shortening cervix but I was so uncomfortable anyway that I would not have been able to keep it up much longer.

My advice would be to exercise only if it feels good (or at least, not bad) but be realistic about the demands those babies are putting on your body and recognize that you will have to slow down/stop at some point. Try to dispense with any illusions about staying "in shape" during your pregnancy and focus on finding time to exercise after they are born. If you go full term or close to it, your movement will naturally become more restricted in the final months and by the time you are 6-8 weeks postpartum and cleared to exercise again, you will probably be starting from scratch anyway. Good luck!

TTC #2 since July 2010
    FSH = 11 (20 on day 10 of CCCT)/ AMH = .98 / AFC=12ish
    5 IUI's with oral meds = all BFN
    March 2012 IVF (MDL Protocol) Started stims 3/3; ER 3/11 (9R, 8M, 7F) ET 3/16 (5dt of 2 blasts graded 3AB and 3BA, 3 frosties(!!) Beta 3/26 = 386; Beta 3/28 = 827; u/s 4/11 says TWINS! Boy/Girl Twins delivered at 36 weeks 6 days

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"