Multiples

Has anyone joined a local MOM group (IRL)

How did you find it? Has it been a positive experience for you?

I'm not the most social person, but I'm starting to feeling a little isolated.

Baby Boy #1 born 1/15/2010

Babies #2 & #3 arriving Spring 2014 (EDD June 18)

Re: Has anyone joined a local MOM group (IRL)

• yes. When I was 12 weeks pregnant. My boys are now almost 4. I'm fairly involved in my club, I produce the newsletter that goes out every month. I think a lot of your experiences will depend on the club and its members.
  • I did I love it! We are only 24weeks but it's been great for advice. They have an expectant parents meeting once a month and we've gotten some great deals on some mildly used items. They also have loaned us books and have great garage sales. They have a list of babysitters and nannies recommended for twins. I highly recommend it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I did but I only went one when I was pg. It seemed geared towards SAHMs and I'm not one. They seemed like a very active group but perhaps a bit cliquey. I didn't have the time to give to get involved.

• I did, but I didn't really get much out of it. Being able to shop the pre-sales when they do their semi-annual sales was nice, but given I work full-time, and was attached to a pump every couple of hours the better part of that first year, I just never really was able to get out to any of the regular meetings. That, and like PPs mentioned, it did seem a bit cliquey, too. Meh.
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I get together with three other mommies from my BMB once a month. One of them is our very own MoM, @littlelady77!

Also every Wednesday two other ladies (whom I met walking my dog while pregnant) and I have lunch together at each others houses. We all live a football field or two from each other.
    image    image    image    image

• Yes, I just joined last week. I originally found them through a google search and then had a twin mom friend refer me to them. I haven't been to a meeting yet but I already like that they have lots of social activities (something that I didn't have with my singleton).
  • JessaPrimateJessaPrimate member
    edited July 2014
    I joined mine around 3 months. They have monthly meetings and they alternate kid-friendly, couple, and mom activities. They also have an annual sale and a fb swap page.

It's been a little hard to break into, but I'm hoping now that my babies are here that I'll form friendships with some of the others that are at my stage.

ETA: I found out about them from the hospital/dr.
  • We have one run by the hospital that has weekly classes for expecting parents and then an every other week support group once babies are here. The weekly classes have been really great! (breast feeding multiples, nutrition, adjusting to life as new parent etc). No idea about what the support groups will be like. I think there's another group here that you have to pay a fee to join - I'll have to look into that.
    Me - 35. DH - 40. TTC #1 since 9/2010. 
    IUI #1-2 BFN
    IUI #3 BFP = C/P
    IUI #4-6 BFNs
    IVF #1 Lupron and Gonal F: 29R 29M 28F
    2 blastocysts transferred 12/14/13
    Beta at 9dp5dt = 285; Beta at 12dp5dt = 925
    It's twins! EDD 9/2/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I just joined one, but I haven't done anything with them yet since I just moved to the area last week.  I did post on their group board about finding an ob and I got several great suggestions and some nice welcome messages.
    Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • I joined one when I was 12 weeks.  I have made great friends through it and learned a lot.  Plus the clothing swaps can't be beat.  I am on the membership board for our local group this year even. 

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz

• Yes! I love talking to other MoMs. There is so much to be learned from them and it's great to have friends who understand the struggle and the joy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

*Proud Air Force Wife*

"I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always.
    As long as I'm living,
    my baby you'll be."
  • edited July 2014
    I'm in one, and I find I have much more in common with the gals in my MOMS Club chapter than in the multiples group. My multiples group is definitely more geared towards working parents; people send their kids to playgroup meetings with the nanny, and there's a lot of evening activities (mom's night out, fundraisers, board meetings, etc) that take place during dinner/bedtime for us, so I don't get to meet other MOMs all that much. But they are a good resource and still worth joining, I think.

Grant - 6/2/11
    Glenn and Caroline - 6/19/13

• I plan to, it is early yet... I am just 14 weeks.... But the hospital gave me some information for 2 local groups.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I joined one in June when my twins were 2 months. So far it has been great. I was assigned at big sister and she is perfect for me because she also has an older child and works full time.

I am not sure how many of the meetings/events I will attend because of my work schedule but so far my experience with the group has been positive.

Ella - 10/19/10
    Julia and Aubrey - 4/3/14

• There wasn't one where I was living when the girls were babies. Now though, I live about 10 minutes away from Twinsburg, Ohio (home of Twins Fest) and there are parents of multiples everywhere. No joke, we have identical twin girls, my neighbor has identical triplet boys, the school principal is a twin as are many adults in our neighborhood! It's crazy.

I opened a private community years ago once some freaky 'ish happened on here and through that I ended up being able to meet a LOT of MoMs. We moved to the Cleveland area two years ago and now I regularly meet up with my MoM friends; the ones I knew first from our large private community. 
    no day but today~ RENT  *HEG survivors*
    ::where a sig pic would go if TB wasn't a d*ck::
     Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • LittleLady77LittleLady77 member
    edited August 2014
    I joined an organized local MoMs group that's okay. I really like the connections I've made from the bump, like the group that meets once a month that @gummybearstwo‌ and I are in. I've also hung out with @legaleagles‌ a few times and another MoM I met through my work. It helps a ton to have other MoMs in your life.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @FaeryStarGazer‌ I live in Akron, are there any local groups you know of that you could suggest for a FTM of triplets.
  • @Jfoster516 I actually don't belong to any of the groups around here, but there are a few. My neighbor and her boys are over at Twinsfest this afternoon, but I can ask her if there are any triplet specific groups. Actually I know a couple triplet moms- I'll ask around.
    no day but today~ RENT  *HEG survivors*
    ::where a sig pic would go if TB wasn't a d*ck::
     Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Yes and I totally suggest it!  
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • I've been in mine since around the time the boys were born. I've been minimally involved--sales, some play dates and some of the events (fall festivals and stuff). I might not renew my membership this year. The meeting times and a lot of the events are pretty far from where I live and not at good times. I've met some great MoMs through it though and I can tell the ones who are more involved have made great friendships.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • I will say, there were times especially the first year and a half or so when i really appreciated being able to go someplace where twins and double strollers were the norm. I hadn't realized how nice that would feel until I got there and looked around. ;)
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"