Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

How can I help my toddler adjust?

I am pregnant with number 2 due in January. My son will be 2 months shy of 2 years old at that point. 
Right now I'm trying to teach him that there's a baby in mommy's tummy (he's 16 months right now) and he's not quite getting it. What are some things that you did to help make the transition easier for your child(ren) when a new baby is on the way and they are fairly young? Thank you! 
BabyName Ticker

Re: How can I help my toddler adjust?

• Options
    Feel free to check out the 2 under 2 board.  Mine are 19.5 mos apart.  

Honestly, at that age there is only so much you can do.  DD and I read lots of books about babies and being a big sister.  She already had a bitty baby and we got her some supplies so she could take care of her baby. 

But really the adjustment is more about how you will have another person to care for than the baby itself.  I don't think DD really cared much about DS before he could sit up and grab toys from her.  
  • Options
    LSU628LSU628 member
    Like the PP my DD also thought she had a baby in her tummy when I was pregnant (she was 3 1/2 when DS was born). Fortunately my OBGYN was very kind to her and would feel her tummy and rub the ultrasound wand on her tummy whenever I had appts. DD was all excited about having the baby brother, but once he was here it kind of threw her for a loop. His crying woke her up the first few nights, she had a serious PTing regression ( she would soak herself b/c it meant DH or I had to attend to her and help her clean up), but once we got her back into her routine and back into going to school every day ( I drove the 45 minutes to where I work and would just crash at my mom's house who also lives in the same city where I work) things settled down and DD got back on track.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"