Breastfeeding
Options

New Mommy question/support

LO is a little more than 2 months now. At her last appointment, the doctor said she was just barely below her ideal weight (9 lbs from being born at 6 lbs). She didn't give me any instructions as far as switching from on demand to scheduled feedings or supplementing, just said to come in at 3 months to check her progress.

I feel like a bad mom now, even though I know she's happy and everything else about her health is great. I just don't know how to measure her weight at home or how much she should even be gaining and I love my husband, but he keeps letting me sleep instead of waking me so I can pump/nurse to keep my supply going.

And I have no idea how to convince him to stop shaking the breastmilk that I leave in the fridge. He says gently swirling doesn't work to get the fat off and just makes a face when I try to explain the science behind why you don't shake (I don't even understand it all that ,much)

And I'm just so tired and the house is a mess and when I tried to spend my last 1.25 on a soda today the machine ate my money and said 'out of service'. And wow, I'm sorry this just kind of took off but I don't feel like I have anyone else to talk to who could really give me advice from experience (all my mommy friends are either just as confused as I am or formula feed.)
imageimageimage
imageimage  

Re: New Mommy question/support

• Options
    I would say "barely below her ideal weight" is... good?

I mean, there are always going to be smaller babies and bigger babies. That's why there's percentiles. My boys were always in the 90+ percentile... and a dear friend of mine had a baby who was always in the 10th percentile. People made all kind of fuss over it, but the baby was healthy, hit her milestones, and was just... small. 

So I would say barely below is /nothing/ you need to worry about, esp. if the doctor didn't say anything about it. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sounds like you are doing everything right mama! Our instincts are pretty spot on. Continue feeding on demand and like pps said, you could get a scale for your own peace of mind.
    And yay for coca cola coupons :)
  • Options
    Hugs. I had quite a few meltdowns in the beginning. You are allowed. :)

I agree with pps that it doesn't sound like you need to worry. I have a long skinny baby who is on the low end of the scale for weight. She is healthy and happy and flourishing.

A suggestion regarding your husband- have him actually read about breastfeeding and handling breastmilk. Some guys are more open to info if they don't feel like a woman is telling them what to do. Also, tape a printout of breastmilk info to the inside of your kitchen cabinet where you keep bottles, etc. That's what I did. It was great having that reference of storing, reheating, etc. right there.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. DH has agreed to stop shaking--even though it's a habit by now, so I'll take you up on that 'reminder on the cabinet' idea.

El Paso, as my husband points out, is filled with bigger people who believe food=love. That's the culture here. Since I'm not hispanic, it makes some sort of sense that my LO would be a bit smaller, even genetically, than the majority in my city.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage  
  • Options
    hi! sending you hugs.

regarding the shaking - i discovered DH was shaking the milk one morning and i told him that it was ruining the proteins in her milk therefore rendering it less beneficial. that stuck with him. the warm water and swirl method definitely works. 

my LO is also very small. she is long and lean. at both weight checks the pedi spouted something like she is 17th percentile for weight which sounded very low to me. i reminded myself she was otherwise gaining weight and reaching appropriate milestones so percentiles are just numbers.  she was 7 pounds at birth followed by 8 and 10 pounds at her follow ups.  don't be too concerned unless the pediatrician starts suggesting other means to gain weight etc. 

hang in there! i think you're doing great!

TTC#2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
  • Options

You are not a bad mother, you sound like a great mother. Can you ask your doctor for some more clarification and guidance? I will keep you in my prayers!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"