April 2014 Moms

Need advice about dog's behavior.

My 2 year old dog has been whining and anxious every time I leave my husband with the baby. It is max. 25 minutes, just to run to the store and it doesn't seem to matter if she cries or not. I don't know if it is anxiety, or if we should simply ignore the behavior?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#1 BFP 26/May/2013 EDD 27/Jan/2014 MC at 5 weeks, 2 days 
#2 BFP 04/Aug/2013 EDD April 18th, 2014. Baby M born May 2, 2014.

Re: Need advice about dog's behavior.

• J&NLJ&NL member
    Do you think he's trying to tell you something?

It might just be that he's used to seeing you with the baby so he doesn't know how to react when you aren't. Idk I'm not a dog person.
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • RoufiRoufi member
    Dogs can be suuuuper protective of babies. When I was a baby my mom had a pittie who would actually sleep under my crib and didn't even want to let my dad near me. They never managed to solve the problem as she got more and more aggressive, but hopefully there is some way to make her accept that he is allowed to take care of LO as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • Not sure on the cause of the anxiety, but something you can do to relieve it is to create positive associations. When your husband has the baby, have him give the dog a treat and lots of praise. If you are really worried and want to take it even slower, you can start by having your husband give the dog treats while YOU are holding baby, then let the dog see you give the baby to your husband and give more treats, and THEN have husband give treats while he has the baby. We never had any issues with our dog, but we started making positive associations right away when we came home from the hospital and continue to do so whenever she is around the baby and acting appropriately.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Has doggie been getting less exercise since baby arrived?  Lack of exercise can manifest itself in many forms of behavioral issues. Not just in dogs either.
  • This is a stressful time for our pets.

I second that its a good idea to build positive experiences around your DH the LO and dog.

Could also be the dog has seperation anxiety and is missing you. Is he typically clingy to you?

Try to get him enough excersise. A healthy body promotes a healthy mind.

I wouldn't give a lot of attention to the whining. Instead reward good behavior ( calm relaxed behavior )

Ears back, licking lips, yawning, looking away/scratching an "itch" , tail tucked are all signs of stress. Watch him closely to see what he's trying to tell you.

When does the whining start? What is your DH doing when he's whining? Who is he whining at?
  • PPs have great advice. First figure out if the dog is whinning because you are absent in general or if it's actually because you've left LO with your H. When we started putting DS on his activity mat, the beag seemed concerned for his well being, almost like "why is it on the floor? Pick it up" with a judgemental glare. I agree to give rewards when your H has LO for positive association & if it's separation anxiety go the excercise route. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"