May 2014 Moms
Options

Milk supply has drastically decreased! EP. Can anyone relate?

I've been pumping exclusively for six weeks. Our daughter is eight weeks old. My supply slowly increased over the weeks reaching up to 7oz less than a week ago. In the last few days, my supply took a big drop. I'm producing no more than 2.5/3oz per 30-minute pumping session. Can anyone relate? I've researched possible reasons for this and none seem to apply. Could my supply be ending completely? Thanks for your input in advance.

Re: Milk supply has drastically decreased! EP. Can anyone relate?

• Options
    I haven't experienced this, but a couple of weeks ago I noticed my nipples getting sore during pumping and pumping the same amount was taking longer. So I bought the next size up breast shields. It made a huge difference! My supply has actually increased now and pumping is shorter.
    Your breasts and nipples can change size as your supply regulates and for other reasons, so it might be time to try a new size. I was fine with the standard size ones for over 6 weeks, and then my boobs changed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Eating enough calories? Those play a major role in my supply.

imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    QOTRQOTR member
    I've also read that too much strenuous exercise can impact supply?
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Options
    Thank you, Rachel. I'm using the standard Medela shields. I'll try the large during my next session and see if it makes a difference.
  • Options
    Thank you. I'm drinking about 120oz of water. Eating frequently too. I've even incorporated oatmeal, nuts, fenugreek supplements...all in hopes of helping my supply.
  • Options
    Thank you. While I'm not currently exercising, I have taken several long walks.
  • Options
    Hi! Haven't changed the pump membranes. I'll order new ones on Amazon today. Thank you.
  • Options
    The membranes, exactly! Try that. Also try to 'jump start' production again by simulating a growth spurt. Do this by pumping 10min, break for 10min, pumping 10, break for 10, pumping 10, break 10 once a day for a couple days. This will typically result in increased production.
      BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    Thank you so much! I will try this too.
  • Options
    Just curious- how would Worn out membranes decrease supply?

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• Options
    I had this happen- the membrane had a tiny little tear in it.  I had pumped and only got half of what I usually got.  Checked the membranes and sure enough, it was ripped every so slightly.
    DSC_1342
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    My OB recommended seeing a lactation consultant with pump and parts in hand. They can observe you and check your pump/parts to see if you need a different pump or different parts.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My supply seemed low to me amd i drank a Gatorade and it helped.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"