Breastfeeding
Options

Borderline lip tie - would you fix it?

DS has what looks to me to be a class 3 lip tie. We saw a LC awhile back due to extreme fussiness, gas, and green mucus diapers. I also had an OS at the time and there seem to be MSPI issues, so we have a lot of confounding issues. Anyway, fast forward to now where DS will be 3 months in a few days. He is happy nearly all the time and gaining well. He does get gassy at night but it doesn't bother him much. His poops are still mucusy on and off but since they found traces of blood, the pedi thinks it's related to diet. He does have a really shallow latch and clicks and slurps a lot while nursing. The LC noticed that he pinches his upper lip and can't flange it out, so that's how we found out about the tie. She recommended getting it fixed, but at the time he was worse off. Given where we are now, would you get it fixed? Pedi said probably not, but she thinks the lip tie thing is a fad. I absolutely hate the thought of pinning him down to get it cut (would be a pediatric ENT with laser) but don't want to cause worse problems down the road.

Re: Borderline lip tie - would you fix it?

• Options
    I diagnosed an upper lip tie one LO which 2 LCs and my ped didn't catch. I pointed it out to my ped and he said he wouldn't recommend any procedure. Mine too is gassy and I had a rough go of bf at the beginning but he has always been fine weight wise. I asked if it could affect speech and he wasn't concerned. My feeling is that I'll wait and see but I don't want to put us and him through any unnecessary procedures. I follow my gut on a lot of things but trust my ped when it comes to surgery and medicine.
  • Options
    We had my daughter's tongue and lip tie corrected at 6 weeks. I think it helped a little but she still clicks and s lurps too at 10 weeks. She has gas reflux and possible mspi issues too. Some of us just have all the luck! I dont know what you should do but I thought my story might help. I don't regret the procedure but I dont think it was the cure that some people profess it to be.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I actually met with an ENT today about my DDs upper lip tie and she's the one who suggested we NOT clip it. She said that the lip tie wouldn't affect speech (a tongue tie would) and she's spoken to a lot of pediatric dentists who are not convinced it would impact tooth gap either. She also thinks that clipping the ties is a fad and that while the procedure is relatively low risk, there is no empirical evidence to support doing it. Finally, she said that there's likelihood that the tie will correct itself somewhat by the end of the 1st year. BTW, I purposely did not go to an ENT that the LC recommended but instead went to one affiliated with our pedi.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"